Author Topic: Humidity Concerns  (Read 2287 times)

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Humidity Concerns
« on: December 13, 2015, 12:02:40 PM »
I have been using my 514ce in a different room because of some remodeling I am undertaking.  My music room is well humidified and I keep it at 45 percent rh.  Now with this different room I cannot keep it at the desired level, it stays at about 36 percent rh. 

I have a Kyser Klassics Lifeguard sound hole humidifier that covers the sound hole and keeps the rh up.  But, I can not measure what the humidity is.  So what do you folks think about this method?  Do you think the neck and peghead are in danger?

Picture of Kyser Klassics Lifeguard:

He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
Re: Humidity Concerns
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 12:21:12 PM »
My take on your situation -- and humidity control in general -- is that short-term (a few months or so) variations in humidity from the ideal (45-50%) are tolerable by the entire guitar.  Once returned to the controlled conditions of the humidified case or room, it will quickly recover to normal.

36% RH is not dangerously low from a guitar's standpoint.  And with the added precaution of the soundhole humidifier, I don't think your guitar is in any danger of drying out, even in the long term.  The neck and peghead are generally protected by their respective finish(es); the fretboard is the only exposed wood outside of the sound hole.

I think you're fine.
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 07:42:42 AM »
I think for short term you will have no troubles. I went years without playing a Taylor I owned in the Northeast. I did not constantly keep up with humidification in the winter, just would wet the sponge from time to time, usually after it was really dry, and the guitar came through great in spite of this. Now I know better, but when I was younger I didn't understand how much damage neglect could do. My experience would indicate you should be fine. My guitar was in its case the whole time.  It was my first Taylor, a 510 from 1990 that I wish I had kept!
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 06:34:50 PM »

I have a Kyser Klassics Lifeguard sound hole humidifier that covers the sound hole and keeps the rh up.  But, I can not measure what the humidity is.  So what do you folks think about this method?  Do you think the neck and peghead are in danger?

Froggy Bottom Guitars recommends exactly this method.  Just check the fret ends from time to time to check for neck changes.

For further info:   http://www.froggybottomguitars.com/guitar-blog/
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 10:08:50 AM »

Froggy Bottom Guitars recommends exactly this method.  Just check the fret ends from time to time to check for neck changes.

For further info:   http://www.froggybottomguitars.com/guitar-blog/

Hey Jersey that is reassuring to see Froggy Bottom suggests the Kyser.  That eases my concerns a bit.  What with the comments from the others(thank you)I feel a bit better about leaving it out of the case for the time being.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

donlyn

• Veteran Member
  • De gustibus non disputandum
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 10:30:34 AM »
i think that guitars are a lot hardier beasts than we give them credit for.  just as long as they are not mistreated.

i live in the northeast and use oasis system products for my acoustics.  indoor rh does dip into the high 20's to low 30's here in the winter, and humidifiers are necessary.  summers are relatively humid, high 40's to low 60's, no humidifier used.   at all times i keep them in their cases when not being played.

edit> i also do not use ac in the summer.  bad for me as well as guitars.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 10:33:18 AM by donlyn »
* The Heard:
85 Gibson J 200  sitka/rosewood Jumbo
99 Taylor 355  sitka/sapele 12 string Jumbo
06 Alvarez AJ60S  englemann/mpl lam m Jumbo
14 Taylor 818e  sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10  all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor  all walnut Jumbo
16 Taylor 412e-R SE  sitka/rosewood GC
16 Taylor 458e-R  sitka/rosewood 12 string GO
21 Epiphone J-200  sitka/maple Jumbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jumbo

* Tenor Ukuleles:
Kala KA STG
Kala KA APT5 CTG 5 string

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 10:38:29 AM »
i think that guitars are a lot hardier beasts than we give them credit for.  just as long as they are not mistreated.

i live in the northeast and use oasis system products for my acoustics.  indoor rh does dip into the high 20's to low 30's here in the winter, and humidifiers are necessary.  summers are relatively humid, high 40's to low 60's, no humidifier used.   at all times i keep them in their cases when not being played.

edit> i also do not use ac in the summer.  bad for me as well as guitars.

Yes I to believe that guitars are hardier that we give them credit for.  But, they are a high priced item and I to usually keep them cased .  I have grand kids that rule the house when they are here.  ;D

MikeB

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2015, 06:59:36 AM »
I don't try to keep my house over 40% RH - any more and the windows start to have condensed moisture, which can run down and ruin sills.  I keep the guitars in their cases and use a PW soundhole humidifier in the guitar, and a soapdish with holes punched into it with a sponge in the head area of the case.
Get yourself a digital hygrometer to keep in the case with your guitar.

donlyn

• Veteran Member
  • De gustibus non disputandum
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2015, 11:13:09 AM »
from mikeb,
"Get yourself a digital hygrometer to keep in the case with your guitar."

been there, done that.  i would also highly recommended it.  one for each case.
* The Heard:
85 Gibson J 200  sitka/rosewood Jumbo
99 Taylor 355  sitka/sapele 12 string Jumbo
06 Alvarez AJ60S  englemann/mpl lam m Jumbo
14 Taylor 818e  sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10  all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor  all walnut Jumbo
16 Taylor 412e-R SE  sitka/rosewood GC
16 Taylor 458e-R  sitka/rosewood 12 string GO
21 Epiphone J-200  sitka/maple Jumbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jumbo

* Tenor Ukuleles:
Kala KA STG
Kala KA APT5 CTG 5 string

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2015, 01:28:49 PM »
I don't try to keep my house over 40% RH - any more and the windows start to have condensed moisture, which can run down and ruin sills.  I keep the guitars in their cases and use a PW soundhole humidifier in the guitar, and a soapdish with holes punched into it with a sponge in the head area of the case.
Get yourself a digital hygrometer to keep in the case with your guitar.

That is what I have done the last couple of years.  I put a hygrometer on the piano in my music room, plus I have a couple in the cases(2 seperate guitars at this time) with my guitars.  I normally use the Oasis between the strings and in the sound hole humidifier.  The guitar in question is the only one I am not casing after each use.  At the moment I have been putting it back in the case and I am more at ease with it this way.