Author Topic: FS: 1998 Taylor 612-CE... price drop  (Read 3522 times)

gruuv

FS: 1998 Taylor 612-CE... price drop
« on: November 18, 2015, 04:05:28 PM »
I've owned this beauty since 1999, when I got it from the original owner.  It is in excellent shape for the age. A few minor dings (none through finish) in the top. No cracks, neck is smooth, finish intact, fretboard is great, virtually no fretwear.  Always kept in its case when not in use, and babied.

Action is VERY low, but it's at zero relief, so a slight tweak of the rod would add a bit of height. Neck is super fast.

Tone is wonderful - balanced, not overly trebly/sparkly. It's a Grand Concert, it's all maple, so it will not sound like a rosewood dread, or even a rosewood OM, and it's not supposed to. But it is well played-in and sounds great. 

The strengths of this 612 are in a band setting (plugged in) - its ability to cut through a mix and be heard, and for soft singer/songwriter fingerpicked work (mic'd/acoustically) - it won't overpower a soft vocal.  This went with me and my wife all around for gigs and she was always heard when playing this, as it sat perfectly in the mix.

It should be noted that, despite being almost two decades old, the Fishman "barn door" system is tremendously flexible, which is why I've loved this for gigs where I must be amplified. 

An example: I played an outdoor wedding last fall with it, in the middle of a field.  We had a female vocalist, cajone player (mic'd), and a violinist (also mic'd).  By rolling back the highs, dialing up the bass, and playing a bit with the notch, we were able to dial in a very rosewoody tone with a tone of warmth and punch.  It's a wonderful gigging guitar.

I love this guitar, have written many songs on it. Just considering a change. This is also the only one I've seen with the maple neck and all natural finish - it seems most either have mahogany necks or some type of tinted finish. Speaking of the neck, I've never had to adjust the neck in all the time I've owned it - rock solid.

Spec's are as follows:

- Flame maple back/sides
- Sitka top
- Rock maple neck
- Natural finish
- 15" lower bout
- 1.75" nut
- 25.5" scale
- Fishman Prefix preamp/electronics
- Pink poodle case in very good shape (aesthetically, has some scuffs/scratches - some small runs in the seams, no big tears in the leather, all buckles work like new, interior is plush and in great shape)

Below is a Reverb price estimate with link.

Taylor 612ce 1998 Natural

Reverb Estimated Price Range
$1,500.00 — $2,000.00

The Taylor 600 Series has traditionally featured curly Maple back and sides with an abalone rosette and leaf pattern inlays. While earlier models featured only amber stained wood with a gloss finish, multiple stain options have been available since.

The Taylor 612ce is the successor to the 612c, additing onboard electronics. This model initially featured Fishman's Onboard Blender system but later switched to Taylor's Expression System in the mid-2000s.

Years of Production: 1998 - present

Body Style: Grand Concert

Wood Composition: Big Leaf Maple back and sides, Sitka Spruce top, 1-piece Mahogany neck

Notable Taylor Players: Leo Kottke, Dave Matthews, Jason Mraz, Doyle Dykes

From:  https://reverb.com/price-guide/guide/13808-taylor-612ce-1998-natural

Based on Reverb pricing, I'm asking $1,500 plus shipping/fees. I've not seen too many of these for sale, and it's my sincere hope that someone on this forum will want it, buy it, and love it.  It may seem silly, but there is a sentimental attachment to it.

Now, on to the pictures...

BODY

DINGS

CASE

« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 02:44:39 PM by gruuv »

gruuv

Re: FS: 1998 Taylor 612-CE
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 12:27:54 PM »
Any love for a nicely aged, blonde Taylor?  I would consider trades for a rosewood GC, preferably mid-90's era, 712/812/912 or C.  Would love to see this go to a Taylor aficionado!

gruuv

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 03:16:23 PM »
I've added this to the original ad text as well, but it should be said that, despite being almost two decades old, the Fishman "barn door" system is tremendously flexible, which is why I've loved this for gigs where I must be amplified. 

An example: I played an outdoor wedding last fall with it, in the middle of a field.  We had a female vocalist, cajone player (mic'd), and a violinist (also mic'd).  By rolling back the highs, dialing up the bass, and playing a bit with the notch, we were able to dial in a very rosewoody tone with a tone of warmth and punch.  It's a wonderful gigging guitar.

larsjen

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 10:48:54 AM »
Nice!

gruuv

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 12:12:07 PM »
Thanks, Larsen.  It's a wonderful instrument... I hope a fellow Taylorite here will love it!

gruuv

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 02:43:58 PM »
Bump for price drop.  I've been agonizing over this for the last few months.  Ideally, my new photography business will get off the ground and I'll be able to keep this and grab the rosewood OM/GC.  Until then, here's one last price drop to see if anyone in the Taylor family is game.

Peachlander77

Re: FS: 1998 Taylor 612-CE... price drop
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 04:00:47 AM »
I had a 1998 Taylor 612C that I kind of regret trading but ended up trading it on a different Taylor.  Still miss it.  One of my favourite guitars as the smaller body size is really articulate with a bright sound brought out by the Maple.  It was a tight, very focussed sound, not thin by any stretch and yet able to cut through the mix.  Plus, they look fabulous too with the quilted maple. :)

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
Re: FS: 1998 Taylor 612-CE... price drop
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 11:21:32 AM »
I recently got to play one of these while visiting a friend, from the same year.  Awesome little guitar and played like a dream.  I'm only in the market for carbon fiber these days, but good luck with your sale.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby