Author Topic: Hello from the great state of Missouri!  (Read 5478 times)

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
Hello from the great state of Missouri!
« on: December 29, 2011, 12:57:22 PM »
Hi everyone, my name is Josh, and I'm from Missouri!  ;D  Where the winters are harsh and the summers are humid and sweltering. 

I thought, I'd share a little about my life, because so many of you have shared from yours.  I was born in South Korea, and adopted when I was about 9 months old.  I grew up for the first 5 years of my life in Ypsilanti, MI, which is close to Ann Arbor...which just happens to be the home of the best NCAA college football team ever to take the field:  the Michigan Wolverines!  Go Blue!  8)

My father's job brought us down to KC, MO, and I've been here ever since.  I spent 4 years in WV at a little Bible college and got my BA in theology/NT Greek.

I grew up playing the trumpet, mainly b/c I was forced to.  (I had to pick some type of instrument etc)  I don't play anymore, but I do hunt down used trumpets/cornets and flip them.  If any of you have old trumpets just stored around let me know.  In 9th/10th grade, I started to play the guitar, and my trumpet playing days were numbered.  I taught myself on this old laminated beater classical guitar.  It was horrible, but it got the job done.

My first "upgrade" from that beater was a "Johnson" black guitar.  I bought it off of ebay, and that's what I used for years.  It was an upgrade from the classical, but was still horrible.  My next upgrade was an "Alvarez" AD60CK, which I still have.  It got the job done for years.  This past summer I bought my first Taylor...a new 2011 GS8e, and it's my baby.

I twiddle around with the Taylor at home etc, but primarily use it in a church setting with our college group.  I'll occasionally help out with the main service as well.  At some point, I'd love to get a BTO, or better yet...get an R. Taylor...I've been drooling for a R. Taylor for quite some time now (style 1).   ;D

I started this website just a short while ago, and am so blessed to have all of you here.  One of the main goals of this website besides talking about anything "Taylor" guitars is to form, foster, and encourage "community."  In a world where individuals value their privacy, I've seen a great desire at the same time to "belong" somewhere.  I believe that this can help.

Sit back, relax, and make yourself at home!  Once again, I'm blessed to have everyone of you here.  Welcome!  ;)
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Hello from the great state of Missouri!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 01:03:53 PM »
Josh, thanks for the info about yourself! :) It's nice to know a little background about everyone here especially how people became involved with guitars. Everyone's journey is different yet our paths cross because of something we love. It's a wonderful community, and I'm very appreciative that you started this forum. ;)
Cindy

Saxacat

• Veteran Member
  • Northumberland, England.
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 01:22:38 PM »
Hi Josh, nice to meet you and welcome to your forum  ;D
Taylor GA-Ke
Yamaha LL16
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha SLG100s

More money than ability.

cjd-player

• Veteran Member
  • Near Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 01:28:08 PM »
Hello Josh.

Nice to know your background.  Thanks for posting that.
Carl
2010 BTO GC, Redwood on EI Rosewood
2010 312ce, kept in DADGAD
2006 814ce LTD, Sitka on Mad Rosewood
2013 Composite Acoustics OX-Raw

barefooter

• West Virginia Hills
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 02:31:05 PM »
So, now we know who the man behind the mask is :)  I agree that it is nice to learn a little about our members.  I believe it tightens our bond with one another in ways other than just music.

So, if you would, can you tell us which college you attended in WV.  I've not attended a Bible College, but thought about a few classes at a local one.  But, I first need to ensure my daughter gets her education completed in college.

Trumpet... I never desired to play one, but thought it would be fun to play a saxophone.  In the early days (70's), I was in a band and we played a lot of Chicago's music.  At one point in time we had 2 trumpets, a sax, and a trombone.

As it relates to guitar, it sounds as if you have your sights set on a good instrument or two.  Where you play in Church,  do you hold an office/position?

Well, I'll close by saying that we enjoy you joining your own Forum and sharing with us  ;D

Thanks for accepting us into your home....
Tom
2005 T5 C2
2010 814ce Tobacco Burst
and a few other pieces of equipment
Romans 1:16

John429

• Ann Arbor, MI
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 04:56:22 PM »
Josh,

Thanks for your nice post! I agree with what Tom said, that knowing a bit more about each other beyond just guitars, (hobbies, interests, backgrounds) really does tighten the bonds of friendship. From running my Mustang forum, I have made many friends where friendship extended beyond just Mustangs. One friend I met this way, who lives in Florida, we see every year while we are on vacation there. I think it's ten consecutive years we have gotten together and my girls know his girl and boy and are friends with them as well. I also exchange Christmas cards with friends, who I first met talking Mustangs, in Sweden, England and Australia. So your additional goal, beyond guitar discussion, of fostering a friendly community is a good one indeed. Neat that you grew up very close to where I am now and are still a big wolverine fan :) Oh, I also thought that you might be interested to hear that my niece Amy, who is now 25, was also adopted as a baby from South Korea and she is actually visiting us right now from MD!

Thanks again for stepping up to get this forum going, Josh. Well done!

John
2004 Taylor 614ce L30 (daughter's guitar)
2007 Taylor 612ce

DMBfan41

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 08:56:12 PM »
You got to love Missouri!  Someone should because I don't.  :)

Thanks for having us here.  I'll try not to make a mess.  I too am a fan of the good news.  If I'm ever up your direction I'll be sure to drop you a line and maybe jam something.
Chad

Taylor 414ce L7
Taylor GSmini
Taylor 214e
Taylor 214
Martin OMCX1KE
Fender Classic 50's Strat

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 11:01:35 PM »
heya buddy,
WELCOME !glad you could make it :)
i trust you didn't have any trouble finding 'your place' ;)

seriously, thanks again for taking the initiative, Josh -
this place definitely fills a need & i think you're doing a great job 8)

thanks for sharing about yourself too

pop-quiz ... best BBQ in KC

if i make up to your neck-of-woods, i need to know where we goin' to eat ;D
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

cotten

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 10:35:38 AM »
Somebody ought to report Josh's Introduction to our moderators:  excessive niceness!   ;D

Josh, we see the evidence of your study of theology and Greek, and though we won't get into a discussion of religion, I'm wondering how you are using that education now.

cotten
Soli Deo Gloria

dsamuel24

• Moderation in moderation. :)
    • www.dustinsamuel.com
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 02:19:22 AM »
Hi Josh, nice to meet you and welcome to your forum  ;D

Nice!  ;D  Perfect reply.
Taylor 615ce-L30 Hnyburst (2004) - FOR SALE
Taylor 615ce w/ES3 & TaylorSense (2000)
Taylor 315ce w/Black Tuner Buttons (2010)
Taylor 214ce-BLK w/Blk Tuner Buttons (2012)
Taylor GS Mini-LTD All Koa (2016)
Alvarez 5072 Jumbo (1994)
Ventura Mini Jumbo (2002)

dsamuel24

• Moderation in moderation. :)
    • www.dustinsamuel.com
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 02:22:15 AM »
Hi everyone, my name is Josh, and I'm from Missouri!  ;D  Where the winters are harsh and the summers are humid and sweltering. 

Hi Josh. I'm sorry to hear that. You could always UPGRADE to Denver!  ;)
Taylor 615ce-L30 Hnyburst (2004) - FOR SALE
Taylor 615ce w/ES3 & TaylorSense (2000)
Taylor 315ce w/Black Tuner Buttons (2010)
Taylor 214ce-BLK w/Blk Tuner Buttons (2012)
Taylor GS Mini-LTD All Koa (2016)
Alvarez 5072 Jumbo (1994)
Ventura Mini Jumbo (2002)

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 11:54:25 AM »

As it relates to guitar, it sounds as if you have your sights set on a good instrument or two.  Where you play in Church,  do you hold an office/position?

Well, I'll close by saying that we enjoy you joining your own Forum and sharing with us  ;D

I don't hold a position at the church I'm at, although I've been on the hunt for a full time pastorate.  It's a waiting game, but He's in control.  ;)

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 11:58:14 AM »
May I ask you personal questions regarding your adoption? Have you ever met your birth parents? Good to read about your background.

Good question!  I haven't.  Adoption agencies cut off all types of info off at the moment of adoption, so I have no clue about birth parents. 

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 11:59:04 AM »
Somebody ought to report Josh's Introduction to our moderators:  excessive niceness!   ;D

Josh, we see the evidence of your study of theology and Greek, and though we won't get into a discussion of religion, I'm wondering how you are using that education now.

cotten

I use my education as it pertains to teaching in our college group.  I've been on the hunt for a college-aged pastorate for some time now.

barefooter

• West Virginia Hills
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 02:40:52 PM »

I don't hold a position at the church I'm at, although I've been on the hunt for a full time pastorate.  It's a waiting game, but He's in control.  ;)

Thanks for the update Josh....  I always try to look at things like when it is time, it will happen.   Sometimes I get impatient according to my wife :)  The college in my area is Appalachian.....

Looking forward to the future of reading on this Forum :)
Tom
2005 T5 C2
2010 814ce Tobacco Burst
and a few other pieces of equipment
Romans 1:16