Author Topic: Imminent Release: Alone In The Universe -- ELO  (Read 11135 times)

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
Imminent Release: Alone In The Universe -- ELO
« on: October 30, 2015, 02:28:04 PM »
For anyone who's interested and may not have heard the news:  Alone In The Universe, the first studio album from Electric Light Orchestra (now billed as "Jeff Lynne's ELO") in fourteen years, is set for release on 13 November.  Rumors are that a world tour will follow.

The first single (with video) released from the album is already out:  "When I Was A Boy" (a clearly autobiographical offering from Mr. Lynne).  Some other tracks that have filtered out prior to album release are "When The Night Comes" and "One Step At A Time".

The music is clearly Jeff Lynne and quite enjoyable.  But don't expect to hear ELO from the mid-70's; apparently that sound was light years ago... ;)
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

George

• Veteran Member
  • I'll have a large one, thanks...
Re: Imminent Release: Alone In The Universe -- ELO
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 05:31:00 PM »
Is it my imagination or are there a lot of ELO fans on UTGF? I play on the Music Association Game post and ELO pops up really often.

Anyway, thanks for sharing that info. Jeff Lynn is a living legend and a perfectionist, and if the rumours are true about a new ELO tour... Well, where do I sign up?

(sorry for the short comment - it's a bit fiddly on my phone...)

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 08:49:20 PM »
Is it my imagination or are there a lot of ELO fans on UTGF? I play on the Music Association Game post and ELO pops up really often...

I imagine there are a few; I tend to be the one posting most of the ELO songs in the Music Association thread, but others do as well.

... Anyway, thanks for sharing that info. Jeff Lynn is a living legend and a perfectionist...

My pleasure.  Jeff Lynne is definitely a master at his craft.  But he also had a good bunch of musicians behind him in the glory days of ELO; unfortunately, those guys are no longer affiliated with the band -- or have gone on to that great orchestra hall in the sky...

... and if the rumours are true about a new ELO tour... Well, where do I sign up...?

Still trying to work that out for myself.  No concert dates have been announced yet.  But Jeff Lynne and his re-constituted ELO headlined London's Hyde Park concert near the end of 2014, and from all indications it was a big success -- successful enough to prod Jeff into seriously considering a tour.  Jeff opened the Hyde Park concert with "All Over The World" from the Xanadu soundtrack.  Prophetic, perhaps...?

... (sorry for the short comment - it's a bit fiddly on my phone...)

I guess you need a better Telephone Line... ;)
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 09:28:58 PM »
 I didn't want to leave your thread hanging. :) I know you're a big ELO fan. Guess you've got some new songs to learn?
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 10:06:30 PM »
I didn't want to leave your thread hanging. :) I know you're a big ELO fan. Guess you've got some new songs to learn?

Thanks, Shayne!  Yes, I'll have to [happily] get to work on a few more now.  Truth is I've barely committed to memory the bulk of their hits from the 70's -- plus a few other album tracks that I like.

Among the things I've learned during my journey through the music of Jeff Lynne is that some of it is very well-suited to the guitar (e.g., "Ma-Ma-Ma Belle," "Livin' Thing," "Do Ya," & "Sweet Talkin' Woman"); some of it is better-suited to the piano (e.g., "Evil Woman" & "Mr. Blue Sky"); and some of it works pretty well either way (e.g., "Can't Get It Out Of My Head" & "Telephone Line").  In fact, during the past few months I've been successfully teaching myself a few of ELO's hits on the piano -- which is what led me to those conclusions about Jeff's music.

George

• Veteran Member
  • I'll have a large one, thanks...
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 04:17:44 AM »

Oh dear...  I'll forgive you for that  :P

My sister bought  when I was a kid - I must have been about 8 years old at the time.  I've been a fan ever since, though I suspect from what I've seen on here that I'm not quite in the same league as you  :P

Truth is, take away the production, and the songs are bullet proof (just like the other great pop songs from that time - think Lennon, Mc Cartney, Benny Andersson, the Gibb brothers etc.) - perfect for "one man and his guitar".

Oh... did I just admit to being an Abba fan???
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 04:49:55 AM by George »

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 10:40:34 AM »

Oh dear...  I'll forgive you for that  :P

Sorry.  Can't help myself sometimes... ;)

... My sister bought  when I was a kid - I must have been about 8 years old at the time.  I've been a fan ever since, though I suspect from what I've seen on here that I'm not quite in the same league as you...  :P

To date, that's my favorite ELO album.  Almost everyone (including Jeff Lynne) seems to hold up Out Of The Blue as the group's best work, but I think A New World Record is, end-to-end, musically and lyrically stronger.  I would call A New World Record ELO's artistic peak, whereas Out Of The Blue is more their 'commercial' peak.

That being said, I do find enjoyable music on all of their albums.  Jeff Lynne just seems to write good songs that I often find touch and reflect some aspect of my life.

... Truth is, take away the production, and the songs are bullet proof (just like the other great pop songs from that time - think Lennon, Mc Cartney, Benny Andersson, the Gibb brothers etc.) - perfect for "one man and his guitar"...

Well, perhaps Jeff is just a good enough song writer that everyone finds something in his songs with which to identify?  Jeff himself has been coy about explaining the meaning behind his songs, often implying that they mean exactly whatever they mean to the listener.  Perhaps the best example of this is "Livin' Thing":  Jeff has simply said the song is about love; but others see more specific meanings in the song's lyrics, most notably an anti-abortion message.  But Jeff continues to just leave it all to the listener...

So perhaps that's one of the litmus tests of a well-written song:  how widely its lyrics can be interpreted -- as well as how many styles in which the song can be successfully performed?  About 14 years ago, there was a tribute album release called Lynne Me Your Ears.  It was filled with cover versions of Jeff's music -- from his early groups such as The Idle Race, to his later solo album (Armchair Theatre) and days with The Traveling Wilburys -- each by a different artist.  While many of the artists simply chose to 'modernize' their contribution to the album, leaving the song otherwise recognizable, others altered the performances to be more consistent with their own musical styles.  Some of the more 'divergent' musical interpretations were:
  • Earl Slick's grunge-like version of "Ma-Ma-Ma Belle"
  • Richard Barone's smoothly-funky rendition of "Showdown"
  • Ross Rice's hip-hop take on "Evil Woman"
  • Tony Visconti's similarly hip-hopish performance of "Mr. Blue Sky"
  • The sudden, mid-song transformation of "One Summer Dream" by Prairie Sons and Daughters from ballad to 'power' ballad; as well as their mixing of elements from "In Old England Town" as part of the extended ending
  • The complete transformation of "On The Run" into a ballad by Sixpence None The Richer
  • And an interesting Beatlesque touch on the end of Roger Klug's grungy rendition of "Turn To Stone"
Although some of the musical styles don't generally appeal to me, I found the album to be evidence of what I think we're both saying:  that a good song is just a good song, no matter who plays it...

... Oh... did I just admit to being an Abba fan???

Nothing wrong with that.  Their songs are often catchy and enjoyable as well!

donlyn

• Veteran Member
  • De gustibus non disputandum
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 11:33:59 AM »
Previous post:

"Oh... did I just admit to being an Abba fan???"

"Nothing wrong with that.  Their songs are often catchy and enjoyable as well!"

nothing wrong at all.  taste is varies from person to person as it should.  I have used abba and elo songs in the music association game.  i will not use songs and/or artists i don't like just to make a reply.
* The Heard:
85 Gibson J 200  sitka/rosewood Jumbo
99 Taylor 355  sitka/sapele 12 string Jumbo
06 Alvarez AJ60S  englemann/mpl lam m Jumbo
14 Taylor 818e  sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10  all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor  all walnut Jumbo
16 Taylor 412e-R SE  sitka/rosewood GC
16 Taylor 458e-R  sitka/rosewood 12 string GO
21 Epiphone J-200  sitka/maple Jumbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jumbo

* Tenor Ukuleles:
Kala KA STG
Kala KA APT5 CTG 5 string

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2015, 08:09:29 PM »
Thanks for sharing that Timfitz63.  I listened to When I was a Boy and I truly feel I could hear George Harrison's influence.  Now I think that Jeff needs no help in writing, composing, and editing and recording anything, but I think George has had a strong influence on Jeff.  And I like it.  Plus Jeff has always had the coolest space craft images, George Noory would approve I am sure. ;D
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2015, 10:13:33 PM »
Thanks for sharing that Timfitz63.  I listened to When I was a Boy and I truly feel I could hear George Harrison's influence.  Now I think that Jeff needs no help in writing, composing, and editing and recording anything, but I think George has had a strong influence on Jeff.  And I like it.  Plus Jeff has always had the coolest space craft images, George Noory would approve I am sure. ;D

My pleasure, "mgap!"

There's no doubt that George Harrison has influenced Jeff's songwriting; it's hard to imagine otherwise, given that they worked so closely together in the Traveling Wilburys.  And Jeff Lynne has always acknowledged that the Beatles were his primary musical influence; that's very clear when listening to ELO's first album (released in the U.S. as No Answer -- there's a humorous story behind that album name too).

But I would say that all of the members of the Traveling Wilburys both provided and received some kind of musical influence from each other.  I remember hearing a new release by Tom Petty some years ago ("The Last DJ") and immediately heard Jeff Lynne's influence.  I initially attributed that to an ongoing collaboration between the two of them, but then subsequently learned that Jeff had not been involved at all in that album or the title track.  Tom had just picked up some of Jeff's songwriting and production techniques, which were clearly evident in that song.

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2015, 11:03:44 PM »

My pleasure, "mgap!"

There's no doubt that George Harrison has influenced Jeff's songwriting; it's hard to imagine otherwise, given that they worked so closely together in the Traveling Wilburys.  And Jeff Lynne has always acknowledged that the Beatles were his primary musical influence; that's very clear when listening to ELO's first album (released in the U.S. as No Answer -- there's a humorous story behind that album name too).

But I would say that all of the members of the Traveling Wilburys both provided and received some kind of musical influence from each other.  I remember hearing a new release by Tom Petty some years ago ("The Last DJ") and immediately heard Jeff Lynne's influence.  I initially attributed that to an ongoing collaboration between the two of them, but then subsequently learned that Jeff had not been involved at all in that album or the title track.  Tom had just picked up some of Jeff's songwriting and production techniques, which were clearly evident in that song.

Interesting Timfitz63.  I enjoyed the T.W. very much.  I think it was a project they all had a great time with.  I still listen to those tracks.  Just a side note, I got to see ELO twice way back when.  Once I had second row seats.  My sister (a army nurse) actually saw the Beatles in Hamburg.  Then she did not think much of them, but thought George was cute. Ha.  When she saw them they were still nobodies.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2015, 08:48:14 AM »

My pleasure, "mgap!"

Interesting Timfitz63.  I enjoyed the T.W. very much.  I think it was a project they all had a great time with.  I still listen to those tracks.  Just a side note, I got to see ELO twice way back when.  Once I had second row seats.  My sister (a army nurse) actually saw the Beatles in Hamburg.  Then she did not think much of them, but thought George was cute. Ha.  When she saw them they were still nobodies.

To me, the Traveling Wilburys were a much-welcomed breath-of-fresh-air during a musical period in the 80's dominated by dance-oriented synth-pop, and hair-metal bands.  And I agree:  the members of the Wilburys just seemed to be having a jolly, old time with it.  So much talent in that band -- from all eras of rock-n-roll to that point; it's a real shame that the endeavor was so short-lived...  The Wilburys' second album still had great material on it; but with the untimely passing of Roy Orbison, the group just didn't carry the same impact...

Unfortunately, I never had the chance to see ELO live in their heyday.  And I was far too young to have seen the Beatles live; they'd already disbanded by the time I was 7-8 years old.  I've since been to concerts by offshoot bands of Electric Light Orchestra (ELO Part II and The Orchestra), both of which were fine groups.  But neither had any involvement from Jeff Lynne, who really was the creative force behind all of ELO's music.  So I'm really looking forward to the prospect of an ELO tour fronted by Jeff.  I just hope they don't want to charge $100+ a head for seats in the nosebleed section... :o

Craig

• Veteran Member
  • More guitars than talent but working on it.
    • UTGF Members Map.
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2015, 10:21:03 AM »
I was never that big an ELO fan, they were more my brothers thing but after seeing the Hyde Park show on tv I'll definitely be in the queue for tickets if they do tour.
I've seen quite a few members of the Hyde Park band recently with 10cc and Graham Gouldman too.

Craig 

1978 Music Man Sabre II
1980's Charvel Model 6
2014 816ce First Edition
2014 714ce FLTD Sassafras
2014 K24ce with AA top and Gotoh 510 tuners
2016 GS Mini e Koa
2015 Custom GS Mun Ebony and Engelmann Spruce
2017 Avalon A2-20c
And an Eastman Mandolin!

Visit the UTGF Members Map
http://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=1258011

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2015, 01:05:34 PM »
I was never that big an ELO fan, they were more my brothers thing but after seeing the Hyde Park show on tv I'll definitely be in the queue for tickets if they do tour.
I've seen quite a few members of the Hyde Park band recently with 10cc and Graham Gouldman too.

I have no doubt that you'll enjoy the show!

I think my (as well as many of ELO's fans) biggest disappointment is that ELO has largely become a 1-man-band (which is now acknowledged by the moniker "Jeff Lynne's ELO").  Jeff has played all of the instruments on the last two studio albums (Zoom and Alone In The Universe), then has largely taken to backing himself with session musicians/vocalists (albeit very good ones) during what few live shows have resulted.  Richard Tandy, ELO's veteran keyboardist, has been the only former member of Electric Light Orchestra on stage with Jeff.

Craig

• Veteran Member
  • More guitars than talent but working on it.
    • UTGF Members Map.
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2015, 05:02:35 AM »
Well you were right about the tour rumours, tickets for the UK dates went on sale this morning.
Unfortunately I have a gig of my own on the local date so it looks like I won't be going.

Craig
1978 Music Man Sabre II
1980's Charvel Model 6
2014 816ce First Edition
2014 714ce FLTD Sassafras
2014 K24ce with AA top and Gotoh 510 tuners
2016 GS Mini e Koa
2015 Custom GS Mun Ebony and Engelmann Spruce
2017 Avalon A2-20c
And an Eastman Mandolin!

Visit the UTGF Members Map
http://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=1258011