Author Topic: 'R.Taylor' guitars  (Read 4387 times)

phavriluk

'R.Taylor' guitars
« on: October 20, 2015, 10:06:06 PM »
I was at a performance of a seriously good flatpicker who used an 'R.Taylor' guitar, so identified in script on the headstock.  Can someone explain what I was looking at?

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
Re: 'R.Taylor' guitars
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 10:25:08 PM »
You're looking at Taylor's attempt to compete with smallish luthiers who make high-end guitars.  The R. Taylor brand, for one reason or another, was discontinued a couple of years ago after a relatively short lifespan.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 11:18:41 PM »
Taylor's 5 top luthiers (yes, luthiers, not just factory-line worker ...not minimizing the line worker but the skills there is limited, to be sure), each having not only the full requisite skills to build complete acoustics, but chosen for their particular specialty; say one who focuses on tops and braces, another on fretwork, etc.  Not to mention one Tim Luranc who had been with Bob forever (predating "Taylor" back to the American Dream days I think, but not 100% certain of this).  These top five guys work to painstakingly craft the best sounding and best looking guitar they know how, adjusting everything down to its last nuance.  Which is why for the 6 or so years of production, they churned out a production total of around 150-ish per year. 

So yes, it was Taylor's bid to offer the total attention-to-build and personal customer voicing that only a small shop can do.  Great while it lasted, IMHO.  Full disclosure: I'm no pushover, and I know my way around tone.  But yes, I'm a believer ;)

Edward

Jayssan

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 05:32:14 PM »
Beppe Gambetta is an amazing flatpicker and plays one. I'm lucky enough to say I know him a little bit and have seen him play multiple times.  Check out you tube and you'll find him with his R Taylor. Great player, great guitar !
Taylor 2010 Fall Limited 514-CE
Gibson 1961 LG-0
Fishman Loudbox Artist

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 06:40:51 PM »
R Taylor was a boutique shop in a corner of the factory, using selected personnel, custom build techniques where appropriate, and premium materials from Bob's wood stash.  Sorta like an uber custom shop that just happened to share the same building.  All the examples I have ever played (not that many) were verrryyy nice.  Too bad the concept didn't pan out.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

phavriluk

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 08:02:07 PM »
Funny that Gambetta's name showed up. His guitar is the one that prompted my question.  He sure impressed me with his flatpicking.  A nicer person I haven't met in one long time.  It was a treat to talk with him.

Jayssan

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 08:29:33 PM »
I had a feeling he might have been the guy you saw...and you gotta dig his red shoes too :)
Taylor 2010 Fall Limited 514-CE
Gibson 1961 LG-0
Fishman Loudbox Artist