Author Topic: PIREP: Taylor Took Over Empire Music  (Read 4303 times)

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
PIREP: Taylor Took Over Empire Music
« on: September 27, 2015, 08:37:50 PM »
Spent a good portion of Friday evening and Saturday afternoon at Empire Music for their "Taylor Takes Over Empire Music" event, which was a fancy way to call the "Find Your Fit" event that officially opened their Taylor Experience Room.  The room was very nicely done, and was filled from wall to wall with eye- and ear-candy from Taylor.

A couple of the more striking guitars were a pair of all-Koa (including the binding and headstock veneer; which seemed unusual to me, but it worked) guitars; a Grand Concert (GC) and a Grand Orchestra (GO).  Both had tops, backs, and sides of master-grade Koa, lots of abalone tinsel all around it, and were absolutely the prettiest guitars in the room.  The GO didn't impress me sonically, but that's probably because 95% of the GO's I play just don't light my fire.  The GC (see attached photos), however, was sweet, sweet, sweet!  But the price tag was just too steep for my wallet, and I found something even more compelling to ponder, so it ultimately never followed me home...

Another interesting guitar -- and surprisingly one that made it to my short list -- was a Custom GO in Spruce/Tasmanian Tiger Myrtle.  This is the same body wood that was used in one of my Custom GS-12's; and although the wood didn't have nearly the visual presence of my Custom GS-12, man did it sound BIG!  The wood worked very well to balance the GO body with crystal clarity, and was really one of the best-sounding GO's I'd come across.  Unusually, it had a Maple neck too.  But nit-picking a bit, it didn't have an armrest (which the GO body desperately needs); and the aesthetics of the woodgrain itself were pretty bland (see attached photos), especially in comparison to my Custom GS-12.  So it also didn't follow me home either...  Well, at least initially...

However, a guitar that was already in Empire's inventory did follow me home...  Check my NGD thread for that story.

As an aside, I also played a couple other guitars that Taylor was obviously showcasing at the event:
  • The new PS14ce in Macassar Ebony -- I liked it!  Same visual presentation as the previous Presentation Series guitars in Cocobolo, but a nice, bright tone.  This one's a winner!
  • The new 914ce --  This was the first one I'd laid eyes/hands on, and I must say I was rather surprised by my overall reaction -- especially given my general reactions to the new bracing schemes in the past.  The new aesthetics are very elegant and classy; I really did like it once I saw one in person.  The tone?  Well, it struck me as intensifying everything I both like and dislike about East Indian Rosewood (EIR):  the lows and highs were stellar; the 'scoop' was even more pronounced.  If I was a vocalist who accompanied myself on the guitar, I would have bought that 914ce on the spot; but I'm not...
  • The 314ce-RW LTD -- This Limited was the first time I'd played a Cedar/EIR combination.  Frankly, I wasn't wowed by it, but neither Cedar or EIR are high on my personal list of tonewood favorites either.  That being said, the combination worked well together if that's your taste; and I definitely could hear what others on the forum have been saying about the tone of this combination:  warm, with clear lows and highs; still has that characteristic mid-range scoop.
  • The 360e SEB -- It would seem that my search for a Dreadnought 12-string continues.  The combination of Mahogany over Sapele sounded too warm and 'one-dimensional' to my ears.  I've had the same reaction to the all-Mahogany 500's as well...  If you're a fan of these tonewood combinations (Mahogany/Sapele or all-Mahogany), this guitar will probably appeal to you; personally, though, I like the 150e better...
I also broke ranks and had Joe pull out the ubber-expensive Martin OM-45 Empire has and sampled that.  Very, very nice guitar.  But too rich for my blood; and frankly, it didn't sound 10-times better (for the price) than my PS14ce in Brazilian Rosewood...
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 08:47:24 PM by timfitz63 »
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: SITREP: Taylor Took Over Empire Music
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 08:58:09 PM »
Sounds like you had a great day out in the Taylor room.  Good information you gave us.  I personally feel the Martin you viewed is so over priced it is just laughable.  Somebody will do it I am sure. ;D
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 10:23:45 PM »
...  I personally feel the Martin you viewed is so over priced it is just laughable...

Yeah, it's definitely a ridiculous price for a guitar.  Apparently one can't touch a brand new Martin in Brazilian Rosewood for less than well into five figures.

When I handed the guitar back to Joe, I jokingly told him that it represented [to me] the 1963 "Split-Window" Corvette Coupe that I've wanted all of my life.  Joe quipped back that if I actually gave him that kind of money for the Martin, he'd "comp" me the Taylor I'd just bought...
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 11:08:33 PM by timfitz63 »
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 10:54:32 AM »
Great PIREP, Tim......wish I were able to spend some quality time in a room like that.  Or maybe not, as I'm really trying to downsize and simplify.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 11:06:38 AM »
Great PIREP, Tim......wish I were able to spend some quality time in a room like that.  Or maybe not, as I'm really trying to downsize and simplify.

Thanks, Earl!  Yeah, it's pretty tough to walk out of that room without a guitar following you...! ;)

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
Re: PIREP: Taylor Took Over Empire Music
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 12:37:30 PM »
PIREP means Pilot Report, for those of you maybe not into "pilot speak".
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
Re: PIREP: Taylor Took Over Empire Music
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 08:49:11 PM »
PIREP means Pilot Report, for those of you maybe not into "pilot speak".
Thats funny Earl, I am so used to reading that that I failed to notice Tim's use of pilot speak on a guitar forum. Thanks for explaining it to others.
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable