Author Topic: Upgrade ES1 version 2 to version 3  (Read 11193 times)

MrHarryReems

• The Kilt Lifters
Re: Upgrade ES1 version 2 to version 3
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2015, 03:46:10 PM »
Sorry for the confusion ...poor writing on my part; my bad! :)

The ES2 requires wood work on the saddle so AFAIK, Taylor has said no to those wanting to move to ES2.

Edward

Unless you're a sponsored artist, in which case they will do the upgrade, and do it for free.  I'd be happy if they'd just take my money and give me the upgrade.  I'd love to throw that balanced output in the garbage.
Aloha!

3dognate

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2015, 09:19:26 AM »
Sorry for the confusion ...poor writing on my part; my bad! :)

The ES2 requires wood work on the saddle so AFAIK, Taylor has said no to those wanting to move to ES2.

Edward

Unless you're a sponsored artist, in which case they will do the upgrade, and do it for free.  I'd be happy if they'd just take my money and give me the upgrade.  I'd love to throw that balanced output in the garbage.

If the parts were available and the bridge plate and bridge thickness were the same it'd be doable with a jig to drill the holes required, (3D printed would be easy enough, I do have a printer and CAD skills to build such a JIG). But I doubt that is the case though and the new bridge plate and bridge were designed without retrofit in mind. I HATE the balanced output BS too.. I use a VoiceLive 3 pedal and a Fender 12 String as an alternate guitar... the output level differences between the two is scary different. and of course the pedal can't take a balanced input so I gotta run a little A/B pedal I made to switch between the two with a TRS lo>Hi Z transformer for the Taylor and TS pass through for the Fender. It'works well but pisses me off that I need to use such a thing to get my levels correct on the Taylor. If you arelike me you feel that using a TS cable into a Hi-Z destination with the Taylor not only lacks volume but also lacks some high end zing as well.

I'm likely to either get rid of my 314CE and buy another with the ES2 or just go with another brand. (the latter is the most likely) this situation has kept me from buying other nice guitars. I like my Taylor a lot but the Expression System continues to drive me nuts. Pickup replacement is an option but only the MiSi Align XT is a direct retrofit as far as I know, and their batteryless design is not my favorite. And using another pickup system with a Tru-Plug system is pretty unattractive too. Replacing my 12 string with a Taylor is an option but doesn't eliminate the need for a TRS LoZ > HiZ DI for my VL3.

If there are other direct retrofit pickups out there I'd love to know about them.

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2015, 07:51:43 AM »
While I have had zero problems with any version of ES 1 (all but one of my ES Taylors now have ES1.3), I now better understand why people use after market, non-invasive pickups. Two of my older, pure acoustic Taylors (and my brand new BTO ) are now equipped with LR Baggs Lyric systems.  Easy to use and replace when something better comes along.
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

MrHarryReems

• The Kilt Lifters
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2015, 12:34:01 PM »
Taylor is doing upgrades to the ES2 now.  I shipped mine off on Friday.
Aloha!

Maximus

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2015, 05:04:08 PM »
Pretty easy to upgrade to ES2. Just buy the drilled bridge, with guitar attached.

I have gone this route twice and can report GREAT success. I am totally happy with my purchase, er... upgrade.
2018 Taylor 814ce Deluxe V-Class
2014 Taylor Custom GC
 - Adirondack Premium Spruce/Premium Select Cocobolo
2014 Taylor 150e
2013 Taylor GS Mini 'Hog

-----------------
2014 Taylor Holden Village GS Mini - DOB

3dognate

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2015, 12:37:07 PM »

What was the charge for the service? (shipping aside)

MrHarryReems

• The Kilt Lifters
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2015, 02:46:07 PM »

They haven't given me the full price yet.  I'm having some other work done as well while it's there..  I've got some fretwear and things that they are going to sort out.  Shipping one way cost me $200....
Aloha!

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2015, 03:11:14 PM »
$200 to ship a guitar - the side "benefit" of not living in the CONUS.  I had the same issue when living in Alaska.  The only option is UPS Blue Label 2nd Day, or comparable FedEx air service.  A guitar gets pricey due to weight and (mostly) bulk.  But at least it gets there quickly and does not sit in a hot or cold warehouse or semi-truck somewhere.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

MrHarryReems

• The Kilt Lifters
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2015, 03:07:40 PM »

It looks like they only charged me $xxx for the upgrade.  They also did quite a bit of additional maintenance at 1/2 price, as I had some fret wear and such.  Additionally, they spotted some other issues the took care of under warranty.  I am well pleased.

Pricing
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 09:32:42 PM by mgap »
Aloha!

fuman

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2015, 10:34:44 AM »
Just for clarity, do they charge the same for an upgrade from version 1.2 to 1.3 as from 1.1 to 1.3?

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2015, 11:55:17 PM »
The ES version 1 (2003-2006) used a AA battery box, so going to v1.1 or 1.3 will absolutely require both a new battery box for the 9v, as well as a little bit of wood work in the endblock to accommodate the 9v box.  So that's two potential up charges right there vs upgrading from the 1.2 (2007-2009).  But the factory being who they are may just charge you the normal rate.   Ask first, of course. 😀

Edward
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 12:32:01 AM by Edward »

MrHarryReems

• The Kilt Lifters
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2015, 04:10:06 PM »
Just for clarity, do they charge the same for an upgrade from version 1.2 to 1.3 as from 1.1 to 1.3?

I'm not sure, but it's worth a call to them to ask!
Aloha!

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2015, 10:14:08 AM »
Pretty easy to upgrade to ES2. Just buy the drilled bridge, with guitar attached.

I have gone this route twice and can report GREAT success. I am totally happy with my purchase, er... upgrade.

Some people think the cost of the new bridge might be to high, but when you consider the free guitar that comes with, its a bargain
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

MrHarryReems

• The Kilt Lifters
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2015, 11:55:28 AM »
Some people think the cost of the new bridge might be to high, but when you consider the free guitar that comes with, its a bargain

Definitely a solid point..  But sometimes you're attached to your main gigging guitar and can't imagine using another one.  That's definitely how I am with my 814.  I can't describe how good it felt to have it back in my hands for the gig last week!
Aloha!

TaylorMan1

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2015, 04:27:26 PM »
I have version 1.3 in my GS 5, if you're going to ship it to Taylor and have them do it it's going to cost you well over $600 because you have to pay shipping both ways. I decided to hang onto my GS 5 it didn't look like it was going to be worth it to sell it because people were wanting to do the Walmart thing. And it's a good guitar, no it's a great sounding guitar.

Carl
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 04:33:22 PM by TaylorMan1 »