Author Topic: Older (1999) Taylor saddles with Fishman pickups  (Read 760 times)

Fletchpic

Older (1999) Taylor saddles with Fishman pickups
« on: August 18, 2015, 06:33:53 PM »
Just curious if there is a trick to removing the saddle on the older guitars with Fishman pickups. I'm trying out a 1999 514ce 25th Anniversary and noticed that the saddle is very snug and didn't want to force it out....  Thanks for any help!

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
Re: Older (1999) Taylor saddles with Fishman pickups
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 07:01:03 PM »
They are not glued in, but can sometimes fit very snugly.  I would just use a pair of pliers and carefully pull it out.  The biggest issue is getting it re-seated properly so the under saddle sensor works correctly - those can be finicky.  While it was out, I would thin it down very slightly with a few gentle passes on 400 grit sandpaper on each side, place on a really flat surface like an old mirror.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Fletchpic

Re: Older (1999) Taylor saddles with Fishman pickups
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 07:27:17 PM »
They are not glued in, but can sometimes fit very snugly.  I would just use a pair of pliers and carefully pull it out.  The biggest issue is getting it re-seated properly so the under saddle sensor works correctly - those can be finicky.  While it was out, I would thin it down very slightly with a few gentle passes on 400 grit sandpaper on each side, place on a really flat surface like an old mirror.

Thanks Earl! I figured as much, but just wanted to be sure...I appreciate it.