Author Topic: Soundhole to UST conversion  (Read 735 times)

lmacmil

• Veteran Member
Soundhole to UST conversion
« on: August 09, 2015, 01:28:25 PM »
I've been using a Baggs M1A in my GA3 since I got it.  Sounded decent, if slightly electric (a common complaint about soundhole pickups).  Since a had an MiSi Acoustic Trio laying around, I decided to give it a try.  This pickup used the Baggs Element UST connected to a preamp that runs off a large capacitor, i.e., it has no battery.  You charge the cap with the supplied adapter and it's supposedly good for 8 hours of playing time.  Have never tested that but the charge does last for several days playing 30-60 minutes a day.

Anyhow, it also sounds decent and a  little more acoustic sounding than the M1A.  The UST quack is fairly subdued (which I've found to be the case with the Element) and certainly at a level I can live with.  I had used this pickup in my Martin (which I sold) and will keep it in the GA3 until I find a reason to change.  BTW, I am using it with a bone saddle but I can't tell the difference between bone and Tusq in this guitar.  The bone was just a lot easier to sand down to compensate for the pickup thickness.
Taylor GA3
Taylor 150e
Taylor 224ce-K