Author Topic: Which pedal to buy for T5 to make leads/solos stand out  (Read 2877 times)

ZillaG

Which pedal to buy for T5 to make leads/solos stand out
« on: June 29, 2015, 10:21:35 PM »
I have an acoustic trio made up of 1 singer and 2 guitar players, with the other guitar player playing an acoustic/electric and me with a Taylor T5 (not T5z). We play through a Bose T1/L1 Compact. I really love the clean sound. I play through a Boss CS-1 (compressor/sustainer) and currently use a Visualsound Route 808, a decent Tube Screamer clone.

Occasionally, I  play leads on some of the songs and would want it to stand out, give it some balls but not necessarily muddy it. I can't get a decent sound out of my Route 808 box for this. Anyone in a similar lineup like my band? What do you do?

I'm looking at the Wampler Paisely. Has anyone used it with the T5?

Chris
Taylor T5 Classic Mahogany
Taylor 816ce

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Which pedal to buy for T5 to make leads/solos stand out
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 06:16:50 PM »
Hi Chris,

For simple lead work that still sounds like your acoustic, a boost pedal would work just fine (a bazillion out there, depending on how fancy or how much/little color you want to add to the tone).  My Baggs Venue does wonderfully for a transparent clean boost if you're looking for a superb DI that can tone shape.  But as you're already running through a comp, I'd bet a simple boost pedal (even a mini like a mooer or xotic) would serve you well.

But if its some hair and girth you want too, then mzke sure you get one with decent tone controls that can attenuate bass and bump the mids, otherwise you wil get a woofy, gainy mess that feedsback at a just a snicker ;)
FWIW, I've found the MI Audio Blues Deluxe and the Lovepedal OD11 to work great for boost with grit.

Edward
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 06:18:27 PM by Edward »

etzeppy

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 10:25:25 AM »
Do you want overdrive or just boost?. The Wampler Paisely was built for electric OD with a specific sound. It might work great as an acoustic boost too, but that's not was it was designed for. Pretty pricy pedal if you're not using it for it's intended propose. There are many clean boost available with EQ and gain control at a lower price point. 

theonemanband

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 04:10:54 PM »
Hi

Have you tried a Zoom MS-100BT MultiStomp.       

https://www.zoom.co.jp/products/multistomp/zoom-ms-100bt-multistomp-guitar-pedal-bluetooth

One of these would give you access to many very acceptable boost, overdrive and compression models, as well as a host of other fx, (plus the VERY useful feature of an accurate & stable onboard tuner).

I play a T5-12 through a Fishman Loudbox "Artist" with one of these in the signal chain (regularly...2/3 gigs per week) and although I'm not a great user of effects, this pedal provides everything I do need including (as you require), an occassional "boost" for solos etc.

I would really recommend that you take a serious look at this great bit of kit!!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 04:21:04 PM by theonemanband »
Taylor T5z-12 Classic
Danelectro DC59-12 (open G)
Avalon S32-12
Takamine EGMINI

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 11:56:39 AM »
Good suggestion on the MS100BT!

I picked up one of these used about a year ago and was flat-out floored by its tones.  No, not every model is good (of even usable, IMHO), but many (a really good number of them) are excellent IMHO, not to mention pretty tweakable.  And the Stompshare add-ons (free) really open up its utility.  Try it, you may be very surprised.  And if you hate it, let me know ;)   ...no really, let me know :D

Edward

ZillaG

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 01:03:32 PM »
I'll take a look at the Zoom MS-100BT indeed. Thanks.
Taylor T5 Classic Mahogany
Taylor 816ce

Turp

• Just trying to make nice sounds on the strings...
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2015, 09:05:45 PM »
I use mine for an instrumental duo. I've been using a Digitech RP360XP with really good results. I've recently been trying a ZOOM MS50G as another option that allows battery power. Both work great in different ways.

What I've found in both. I can setup patches for various rythmn, fingerstyle, and lead tones, and set volume levels for each as I need.

I also found that compression is pretty important to achieving a good balanced tone. Both have compression effects.