Author Topic: The Debate is over ** Updated with pictures**  (Read 6820 times)

lmacmil

• Veteran Member
Re: Debating on electronics in my next Taylor.
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2015, 11:32:47 AM »
(snip) I bought the GA3 and added a Baggs M1A.  I do a lot of plugged in playing (mostly open mics) and the M1A is as "plug and play" as it gets.  Doesn't sound as acoustic as a K&K or a UST would but it's pretty much feedback-proof and the typical open mic audience doesn't care about the sound anyway! (snip)

The Baggs M1A is my go-to pickup. It sounds very acoustic to me - more than most USTs save for the Baggs Element. The M1 sounds to me like sort of a quality studio-recorded acoustic guitar, if that makes sense. Can you tell I'm a Baggs fan? :)

I have an Element so that's what I was thinking of UST-wise when I made the comparison.  In fact, I'm thinking of putting it in my GA3 just to see how it sounds compared to the M1A.
Taylor GA3
Taylor 150e
Taylor 224ce-K

bbarkow

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2015, 12:09:53 PM »
(snip) I bought the GA3 and added a Baggs M1A.  I do a lot of plugged in playing (mostly open mics) and the M1A is as "plug and play" as it gets.  Doesn't sound as acoustic as a K&K or a UST would but it's pretty much feedback-proof and the typical open mic audience doesn't care about the sound anyway! (snip)

The Baggs M1A is my go-to pickup. It sounds very acoustic to me - more than most USTs save for the Baggs Element. The M1 sounds to me like sort of a quality studio-recorded acoustic guitar, if that makes sense. Can you tell I'm a Baggs fan? :)

I have an Element so that's what I was thinking of UST-wise when I made the comparison.  In fact, I'm thinking of putting it in my GA3 just to see how it sounds compared to the M1A.

Ah...that makes sense :) I was thinking of some of the quackers I've had in the past.

129Jayman

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2015, 08:48:48 PM »
Well I looked at a lot of guitars today and decided on a 214 CE. On my current budget (wife and I are building a house), I did not want to blow the budget  to bad. If I played for money, things would be different. I will post pictures asap.

Thanks for all the help!

Jay

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2015, 10:06:39 PM »
Well I looked at a lot of guitars today and decided on a 214 CE. On my current budget (wife and I are building a house), I did not want to blow the budget  to bad. If I played for money, things would be different. I will post pictures asap.

Thanks for all the help!

Jay
Happy to hear you found what you were looking for. Looking forward to the pics. Did you go to Elderly? If so, what did you think?
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

129Jayman

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2015, 05:45:32 AM »
I thought Elderly was very nice. They really love Martin and Fender guitars there. There was a nice selection of Taylors   but not as many as I had hoped to see.

We had visited Gruhn  Guitars in Nashville back in April. To me that is a guitar store of guitar stores. There is only one problem with Gruhn  though,  it's a day's  drive away😆

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2015, 06:17:04 AM »
They have a huge history with Martin. One of their biggest dealers. I hope you worked with someone, because not all their stock is on the floor. Too much to do so. Also, you have to remember just how many different instruments they carry....not just guitars. I think their selection of Taylor's is pretty darned good. I played a spruce/walnut Ltd GC there that I loved....had to walk away, though. The people there are helpful, but laid back....no pressure. Stan (the owner) wants you to feel you are just jammin' in his living room. Their history is with used/vintage (elderly) instruments, so they have a good selection of those and a good knowledge of them. You can't beat the group of luthiers there either. They are the only ones who touch my instruments. Great folks!
Susie

129Jayman

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2015, 07:08:55 AM »
I noticed that the customers all seemed to be at ease while browsing  the inventory. I came really close to buying a 214 ce, koa  deluxe. I realized that in a couple of years I will most likely upgrade and the extra $300 would not be a wise investment at this time.

Jay
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 07:23:05 AM by 129Jayman »

129Jayman

Re: The Debate is over ** Updated with pictures**
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2015, 03:46:48 PM »
Happy early birthday to me.

She is purdy and she sound and plays nice.

Jay

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2015, 05:29:15 PM »
Congrats Jay.....it's very nice. Love the grain on the b/s. Again, happy you found the one that you wanted. BTW, Elderly has the Pick N' Gliders at the store, did you happen to try one there? They use them on the floor for customers. They also sell them.
Susie

129Jayman

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2015, 05:37:22 PM »
Oh...... I did and I didn't  even realize what I was sitting on until I read your post. Yeah. It was nice now that I think about it. All the player stools were in use when I was checking out a couple guitars and I did try one but I was so focused  on the guitars I wasn't  paying attention to what I was sitting on.   :-\

Jay

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2015, 06:32:15 PM »
Oh...... I did and I didn't  even realize what I was sitting on until I read your post. Yeah. It was nice now that I think about it. All the player stools were in use when I was checking out a couple guitars and I did try one but I was so focused  on the guitars I wasn't  paying attention to what I was sitting on.   :-\

Jay
Sounds like another trip to Elderly is in order  ;D.
Susie

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2015, 07:12:36 PM »
Congrats Jayman-
She's a looker!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Rev Roy

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2015, 10:25:59 PM »
Very nice! Love my 214, too.
Collings D1A Traditional
Bourgeois Generation D

Christhee68

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2015, 09:07:32 AM »
The grain is beautiful. I'm sure it plays great and sounds great, too.
2013 Taylor 314ce
2015 Martin D-18
1982 Martin HD-28
2004 Fender Telecaster
2010 Martin X-Series
Mid 80's Sigma DM-3