Author Topic: The Debate is over ** Updated with pictures**  (Read 6821 times)

129Jayman

The Debate is over ** Updated with pictures**
« on: June 06, 2015, 10:07:53 AM »
I keep going back and forth  in my head between a 214 ce or a 314? I like the x14  shape and I have not or do not see myself plugging into an amp but you never know.

The other thing that holds me back is figured wood. I have seen some beautiful  wood on some 214s  and some oh hum wood too. I would have to see the guitar in person before buying so ordering one probably  would not work.

Jay
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 03:45:06 PM by 129Jayman »

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
Re: Debating on electronics in my next Taylor.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 02:22:41 PM »
Both are good choices, so pick the one that speaks to you. Here's some food for thought based upon my recent experiences  with amplification. My two oldest Taylors did not have factory installed electronics. All my other Taylors have either ES1 or ES2. Both systems sound great and are easy to use. Having said that, I had an LR Baggs Lyric pickup installed in each of my older Taylors. It also sounds great and is easy to use (in both solo and ensemble settings).  The Lyric installation is totally non-invasive and easily reversed if you opt for no pick-up or something different at a later time. In fact, I like the Lyric so much that I've opted for no ES on my next custom Taylor with the intention of having an LR Baggs Lyric installed instead. So again, pick the one that speaks to you, and don't worry too much about the electronics....
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

129Jayman

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 10:56:47 AM »
Thanks for weighing in. I wish there were a store that had a boat load of Taylors to chose from. In West Michigan there are shops that carry them but they have maybe 3-4 in the 200 - 300 series range. Frustrating. The Guitar Center has usually one 214 ce and maybe a 210 and then the models go up from there. My favorite local shop has one but the wood on it is very drab. I do wood working for a living and I have an appreciation for pretty grain. I have seen some rosewood guitars that are stunning and some that should be used for crate material. That being said,I really don't want to order one. I want to pick out the one that sounds good and has great wood.

Jay

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 11:15:57 AM »
You mentioned West MI. I don't know where you live, but you should plan a visit to Elderly Instruments in Lansing. Definitely worth the drive. They always have a pretty good selection of new and used Taylors. It's been my local store since 1974. If you've never been there before, you're missing out. Take your checkbook, though. I'm warning you. They also have a huge selection of other high end guitars and are big into Martin. Be sure to work with a sales associate. They have stock on the floor, but can also bring out additional guitars that are in inventory. You just need to ask.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

129Jayman

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 11:49:19 AM »
Thanks Taylor Girl. I will have to plan a Saturday trip there. I have hear many good things about Elderly Instruments.

Jay

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 12:57:37 PM »
A trip to Elderly is a pilgrimage to the holy land for guitarists.  A must-do.  Whenever I get to Michigan to visit family (Ann Arbor) I always leave some time for a side trip to Elderly.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

lmacmil

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 01:00:14 PM »
I keep going back and forth  in my head between a 214 ce or a 314?

Everyone hears differently but when I was deciding, the 314 (GA3 at the time) sounded way better to me than the 214.  I can't describe it other than to say it just sounded richer.  I bought the GA3 and added a Baggs M1A.  I do a lot of plugged in playing (mostly open mics) and the M1A is as "plug and play" as it gets.  Doesn't sound as acoustic as a K&K or a UST would but it's pretty much feedback-proof and the typical open mic audience doesn't care about the sound anyway!

6/9 update:  I played a 210e DLX at GC yesterday.  Two things I noticed:  the gloss finished was gorgeous and it sounded better than previous 200 series I've played.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 01:23:33 PM by lmacmil »
Taylor GA3
Taylor 150e
Taylor 224ce-K

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 12:25:48 AM »
Hi jay,

Remember there's a difference in nut width between the 200 series and 300-up.  Try them both as some find the difference negligible while for others it's a deal breaker.

I would not worry one whit about electronics if you're not already in the need for a pickup.  It is simply too easy to add and there are soooo many options, and arguably better ones ahead as technology improves for when you are ready to plug in.  Focus on getting the guitar that sounds and feels "right" to you as tone and feel are your primary concerns.  Which leads me to also suggest you not be swayed by figured wood.  All IMHO, of course.  Post pics of your victory here! 😀

Edward

Christhee68

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 03:48:45 PM »
There is definitely a big difference in the neck. Not just the width, but the "texture." the wood on the necks of the 200's is rougher, or "pitted" for the lack of a better term, and the 300's are smoother.

If you look around you can get a used 300 series for the same price as a new 200 series. If electronics aren't your thing, just skip it and add your own later if you change your mind.

While some may downplay the importance of looks/figuring of the wood, it's probably safe to say that you'll notice more of a difference in the appearance of a guitar than you will in the tone of two of the same model guitar. In other words, the wood may look a lot different but the sound may not be.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 03:55:58 PM by Christhee68 »
2013 Taylor 314ce
2015 Martin D-18
1982 Martin HD-28
2004 Fender Telecaster
2010 Martin X-Series
Mid 80's Sigma DM-3

129Jayman

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 04:50:02 PM »
Thanks for the replies. You have given me some good things to consider.

I think for my next birthday, I am turning 50 this year, to treat myself to a nice guitar. I have my Lil' GS Mini and I believe that it is time for a nice full size Taylor. Maybe on the 3rd of July we will make the trip to Elderly. We will see.

Jay

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2015, 09:38:50 PM »
Thanks for the replies. You have given me some good things to consider.

I think for my next birthday, I am turning 50 this year, to treat myself to a nice guitar. I have my Lil' GS Mini and I believe that it is time for a nice full size Taylor. Maybe on the 3rd of July we will make the trip to Elderly. We will see.

Jay
You won't regret the trip to Elderly. Have plenty of time and your wallet.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

ctkarslake

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2015, 11:34:48 AM »
Good luck on you quest for a new guitar.  I have easily as much fun searching as finding and as playing, it's just the first step!

Going to Elderly for a birthday guitar, esp. on such a momentous birthday, sounds like a great thing to look forward to.  Enjoy!
1989 712
1992 410
1992 412
1995 410
1995 422
1996 412-M
1996 450
1997 412
1997 420-R
2007 GC3

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2015, 09:39:37 PM »
Great way to spend a B-Day, Jay!  And don't forget that some of the best bang-for-buck guitars will be on the used rack.  Take your time, take it all in one by one, and enjoy the hunt!  :)
...and remember to post your victory pics here!!  :D

Edward

bbarkow

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2015, 01:19:37 PM »
I keep going back and forth  in my head between a 214 ce or a 314?
(snip) I bought the GA3 and added a Baggs M1A.  I do a lot of plugged in playing (mostly open mics) and the M1A is as "plug and play" as it gets.  Doesn't sound as acoustic as a K&K or a UST would but it's pretty much feedback-proof and the typical open mic audience doesn't care about the sound anyway! (snip)

The Baggs M1A is my go-to pickup. It sounds very acoustic to me - more than most USTs save for the Baggs Element. The M1 sounds to me like sort of a quality studio-recorded acoustic guitar, if that makes sense. Can you tell I'm a Baggs fan? :)

129Jayman

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2015, 10:50:57 AM »
So we are off to Elderly!

Jay