Author Topic: New 914 review  (Read 1329 times)

dcopper

New 914 review
« on: June 04, 2015, 02:41:24 PM »
I was at a Road Show about two weeks ago and the rep brought the new 914ce to show off. It was as another member reviewed - a First Edition. I have had and played 914s now for several years. My current is a 914 TB with no electronics, non cutaway. First let me say that you should look at the website to see what Taylor has done with the 914. One big difference and I think it made a difference in tone, other than the new bracing scheme is that they stopped using a bone nut and saddle and that is now an option at an additional cost. I personally think this is a huge mistake, and aside from the bling, makes the 914 pretty much an 814.

Let me start by saying I LIKE what they did to the new 814. The guitar seems vibrant and lively and is very responsive. I cannot say it is better than the previous 814 models but it is definitely different. I think Andy Powell hit a home run with this guitar.
If you have ever played a 914 and compared it directly to an 814, it was never quite the same animal. I have had several 814ce guitars and have had two 914s. With the new 914ce, it was pretty much like the new 814ce with more bling -it felt vibrant and responsive. It also did not have the broad frequency response of the old 914. I think when they stopped putting in the bone nut and saddle, it now lacks that depth that the 914 always had. Of course you could cure that with an additional XXX.XX to add a bone nut and saddle. I just wonder why you should need to do that. My guess is that based on the serious design changes, the tusq nut and saddle are more consistent and stable. I have bone nuts and saddles in all of my guitars. To me it is a no-brainer. I think that is why Taylor always included bone as part of the 914 and Presentation Series - and often the Fall or Spring Limiteds. Some argue that bone is inconsistent and often people put in bone and then switch back to tusq. I get that - but why would Taylor use bone in their top of the line guitars if that were the case?

I think the goal here was to do to the 914 what Andy Powell accomplished with the 814. The redesign creates a "different" tone and feel for sure. What I like about a 914, which is my principal gigging guitar - is the natural depth and clarity the choice woods and the bone give the guitar. The new 914 lacks that depth in my opinion. Now I would not say I do not LIKE the new 914- it is just different. I am not sure why, other than the appearance, one would spend the extra for a 914 over an 814. If I wanted the new 914, I would order it without electronics and with the bone nut and saddle. That may very well cure what the guitar i played seemed to lack. For electronics, I would simply add the K&K pm. That is what i am using in all my guitars and I get great results.

If you get a chance to play one- the 914 is a fun guitar. It just does not have, at least in my opinion which of course only has value to me, the vibe that the old 914 always had.
davidc

$
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 07:12:48 PM by UTGF-Team »
2011 914ce
2012 814ce TBSS
2012 Spring LTD 814ce Cocobolo
2012 FLTD GAce Quilted Sapele
2003 NS74ce coco
T5Custom KOA
T5 Standard Bl
PRSs/Brian Moore C45P/89 Strat
Too many gizmos and amps!