Author Topic: Here We Go Again! June 14th UPDATE  (Read 13465 times)

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
Re: Here We Go Again! MAY 23rd UPDATE
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2015, 07:15:37 PM »
Could it be possible to order a standard 700 series, with cedar top, and then choose a whole load of options to get as close to your ideal as possible?

Would that not solve the bracing issue where I imagine they want their BTO guitars to have the best, i.e. CV only, whereas you seem to want a specced up 700 series.

Just a thought, bit new to this so there could be vital things that still aren't achievable going that route!

No, Taylor allows minimal modifications to their stock models, certainly not to the extent of what I was planning to do with this BTO. It's OK if they say no, because there are a few other alternative back-up plans, both Taylor and otherwise....thanks for the thought!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

guitarsrsoawesome

• Veteran Member
Re: Here We Go Again! MAY 23rd UPDATE
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2015, 08:39:19 PM »
Could it be possible to order a standard 700 series, with cedar top, and then choose a whole load of options to get as close to your ideal as possible?

Would that not solve the bracing issue where I imagine they want their BTO guitars to have the best, i.e. CV only, whereas you seem to want a specced up 700 series.

Just a thought, bit new to this so there could be vital things that still aren't achievable going that route!

No, Taylor allows minimal modifications to their stock models, certainly not to the extent of what I was planning to do with this BTO. It's OK if they say no, because there are a few other alternative back-up plans, both Taylor and otherwise....thanks for the thought!

For some reason I just can't accept that you have to plan B this guitar.  It just doesn't make any sense to me that you can't get what you want.  But, I'll digress now as I know I'm beating a dead brace, I mean horse.  :P
November 2013 Taylor 514ce ES2
November 2011 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
Re: Here We Go Again! June 1st UPDATE
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2015, 01:58:21 PM »
I've updated the original post with the latest good news for those who are interested. Thanks again for all your support!

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2015, 02:28:13 PM »
Great news SF. Glad to hear Taylor is taking care of you. Looking forward to pics and a review. We will wait with you...
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable

guitarsrsoawesome

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2015, 02:36:01 PM »
Yes, that is great news, SF!  And now I'm happy with Taylor again because if that hadn't have worked out the BTO process would have taken a huge hit from my perspective.  But, nevertheless, Taylor came through, as usual and they are to be commended.  Can't wait to see pics and hear sound clips. :)

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2015, 03:41:37 PM »
So I'm building my own version of a 914 with the original modern signature Taylor 714 sound (pre-CV bracing, pre-AP bracing):

Edge-burst finished cedar top
AA EIR back and sides
Standard II Adirondack bracing
Bone nut and saddle
Gotoh antique gold tuners with back buttons
Ebony binding with red purfling line
Paua rosette and top trim with red purfling line
Paua Gothic Vine inlay on fret board
Paua Taylor logo on a rosewood peghead overlay with matching gloss-finished TRC

Yeah, I know, shameless bling everywhere!

You are a shameless person SF.  I love it.

I hope it is all you hope for. ;D
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2015, 05:14:47 PM »
Wouldn't have gone wrong with a Bourgeois OM -- an adi/Madi one was on my lust list -- but love your Taylor choice.
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2015, 05:30:33 PM »
Ooooh yeah, niiice, SF!!  Nice for you, to be sure, and very glad that Taylor chose to accommodate you!

Cedar is a wonderful top and you will be thrilled, particularly since you'll be getting it braced the way they were (like my aforementioned GA7e ;) ). 

FWIW, my Custom DN has paua shell (green hue, looks nearly identical to RT's green heart ab.) on the top and the sound hole: it's gorgeous!  But are you 100% sure you want the edgeburst fin?  Given the hue of a cedar top and the paua shell periphery, you may have "a lot goin on" in terms of visual cues.  Just thinking out loud and don't want to rain on your victory parade as it's all subjective anyway.  In any event, it'll be a standout ...I can't wait for you!  :)

Edward

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2015, 07:18:15 PM »
Ooooh yeah, niiice, SF!!  Nice for you, to be sure, and very glad that Taylor chose to accommodate you!

Cedar is a wonderful top and you will be thrilled, particularly since you'll be getting it braced the way they were (like my aforementioned GA7e ;) ). 

FWIW, my Custom DN has paua shell (green hue, looks nearly identical to RT's green heart ab.) on the top and the sound hole: it's gorgeous!  But are you 100% sure you want the edgeburst fin?  Given the hue of a cedar top and the paua shell periphery, you may have "a lot goin on" in terms of visual cues.  Just thinking out loud and don't want to rain on your victory parade as it's all subjective anyway.  In any event, it'll be a standout ...I can't wait for you!  :)

Edward

Thanks for everyone's support - yes, I am being shameless when it comes to dressing this guitar up! Edward, I thought long and hard about this aspect and talked it through with my FLGS person. He cited various examples of darker bursts with paua binding in response to my same concern. He felt as I do that the subtlety of the edgeburst on cedar would perfectly compliment the paua , especially with the red purfling border. Let's keep our fingers crossed!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 03:07:20 PM by Strumming Fool »

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2015, 10:28:00 AM »
Nothing "shameless" there, friend!  It is a true joy to be able to celebrate your good fortune with a stellar instrument that, in your hands, will celebrate good fortune!  :D

Edward

krugjr

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2015, 12:52:05 PM »
great news, SF.......would love to hear what brought about their "change of mind" on your custom build bracing.....not that it really matters now cuz it's GONNA HAPPEN!!!  now, patience, patience, patience.....
Music.....the Universal Language!

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2015, 01:01:18 PM »
Great to hear. I bet she's going to be pretty. Now the waiting begins.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2015, 09:08:43 PM »
would love to hear what brought about their "change of mind" on your custom build bracing

So we asked Taylor and they said no...we asked again and they said no...we asked one more time, and they said yes. I guess they saw how ridiculous they looked in denying the use of bracing that they still use on any cedar-topped stock model. I imagine that they also agreed that the older style bracing sounds better with cedar than CV bracing. I'm guessing the same applies for AP bracing, because they won't allow the cedar substitution on all the new AP-braced models...

krugjr

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2015, 11:31:57 PM »
thanks for the update, SF.....that does make sense.....
Music.....the Universal Language!

guitarsrsoawesome

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2015, 12:31:26 AM »
I sort of wonder if someone at the mother ship saw this thread and how some of their most loyal customers were talking about the lack of a standard II bracing option for cedar topped BTO's and realized it only made sense to offer it?