Author Topic: What ONE Instrument Besides Guitar?  (Read 11215 times)

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Re: What ONE Instrument Besides Guitar?
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2015, 09:48:19 AM »
I inherited my grandpa's fiddle (who I never got to meet, because he died before I was born). My folks took it to a luthier and had it set up ready to go. It's in great shape, considering it"s probably nearly 100 years old. I took lessons for awhile and then I've been dabbling with it on my own. Definitely a challenge, but if I were to give it an honest effort and stick with it consistently, I'd probably see some significant improvement. It's fun to have around and makes me feel I have a connection with grandpa. Just wish I had gotten the opportunity to hear him play, or better yet, play with him.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

guitarsrsoawesome

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2015, 10:52:53 AM »
...or better yet, play with him.

now that would have been cool!
November 2013 Taylor 514ce ES2
November 2011 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2015, 11:02:18 AM »
...or better yet, play with him.

now that would have been cool!
Yes, it would have been.  :-\ :)
Susie

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2015, 01:13:19 PM »
... Just wish I had gotten the opportunity to hear him play, or better yet, play with him.

If you stick with it, perhaps in a sense, you are playing with him -- and hearing him play -- through your hands.
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2015, 02:00:23 PM »
... Just wish I had gotten the opportunity to hear him play, or better yet, play with him.

If you stick with it, perhaps in a sense, you are playing with him -- and hearing him play -- through your hands.
Yes, I definitely experience that when I do play. And, I have played for my dad, and that has made him smile, to hear his dad's fiddle sing again (or at least make noise  ???).
Susie

donlyn

• Veteran Member
  • De gustibus non disputandum
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2015, 03:41:44 PM »
in a rambling conversation sort of way, i will reverse this theme a bit.

i have a 3 year old grandaughter. i would like to teach her guitar at some point. anybody have any experience or thoughts about a good age to try and start this?

(her age, not mine) :)
* The Heard:
85 Gibson J 200  sitka/rosewood Jumbo
99 Taylor 355  sitka/sapele 12 string Jumbo
06 Alvarez AJ60S  englemann/mpl lam m Jumbo
14 Taylor 818e  sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10  all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor  all walnut Jumbo
16 Taylor 412e-R SE  sitka/rosewood GC
16 Taylor 458e-R  sitka/rosewood 12 string GO
21 Epiphone J-200  sitka/maple Jumbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jumbo

* Tenor Ukuleles:
Kala KA STG
Kala KA APT5 CTG 5 string

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2015, 07:25:08 PM »
I would start her on ukulele, not guitar.  Uke is a much better size for young hands and arms, and you can get a decent one for less that any half-playable guitar would cost.  If she sticks with it, you could later upgrade to a baritone uke, which is a bit larger and tuned like a guitar without the bass strings.  Worst case you could tune it to an open C chord (GCEG instead of GCEA) and she could strum along without fretting anything but simple barres.  Every individual is unique, but most kids don't have enough attention span for more until about age 6 or so.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

donlyn

• Veteran Member
  • De gustibus non disputandum
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2015, 11:30:38 AM »
thanks, earl. you make some good points. still a future thing.

if anyone else has some experience or thoughts on this, please post or pm me.
* The Heard:
85 Gibson J 200  sitka/rosewood Jumbo
99 Taylor 355  sitka/sapele 12 string Jumbo
06 Alvarez AJ60S  englemann/mpl lam m Jumbo
14 Taylor 818e  sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10  all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor  all walnut Jumbo
16 Taylor 412e-R SE  sitka/rosewood GC
16 Taylor 458e-R  sitka/rosewood 12 string GO
21 Epiphone J-200  sitka/maple Jumbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jumbo

* Tenor Ukuleles:
Kala KA STG
Kala KA APT5 CTG 5 string

crashcup

• "Trust in God, but tie your camel!"
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2015, 11:17:40 AM »
Okay, I'd be torn between my piano and my (no chuckles please) my accordion.  The accordion is maligned and hated in the United States but is favored in nearly every other country.  It is probably the most versatile instrument ever made and takes quite a bit of technical skill to play it well.  But I figure, what the heck--if guitars disappear from the planet it might be time for accordions. 

You know what they say: "some people march to the beat of a different drummer; and some POLKA!"

Cheers!

Bill

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2015, 11:42:23 AM »
Okay, I'd be torn between my piano and my (no chuckles please) my accordion.  The accordion is maligned and hated in the United States but is favored in nearly every other country.  It is probably the most versatile instrument ever made and takes quite a bit of technical skill to play it well.  But I figure, what the heck--if guitars disappear from the planet it might be time for accordions. 

You know what they say: "some people march to the beat of a different drummer; and some POLKA!"

Cheers!

Bill
Love it, Bill. I'm 1\2 Polish. My maiden name xxxxxxxxski. I love listening to talented accordion players. I live in the town where my great grandparents settled from Poland, which is predominantly of Polish heritage. Proud to be Polish.
Susie

guitarsrsoawesome

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2015, 09:36:58 AM »

Cheers!

Bill
Love it, Bill. I'm 1\2 Polish. My maiden name xxxxxxxxski. I love listening to talented accordion players. I live in the town where my great grandparents settled from Poland, which is predominantly of Polish heritage. Proud to be Polish.

Love accordion.  Check out how the Willis Clan uses one on their version of "My Favorite Things."  It add so much to the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h8J48UXoBc

Oh, the acoustic in the vid is a Taylor :)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 09:38:29 AM by guitarsrsoawesome »

guitarsrsoawesome

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2015, 09:44:35 AM »
I would start her on ukulele, not guitar.  Uke is a much better size for young hands and arms, and you can get a decent one for less that any half-playable guitar would cost.  If she sticks with it, you could later upgrade to a baritone uke, which is a bit larger and tuned like a guitar without the bass strings.  Worst case you could tune it to an open C chord (GCEG instead of GCEA) and she could strum along without fretting anything but simple barres.  Every individual is unique, but most kids don't have enough attention span for more until about age 6 or so.

What a great idea.  If any one asks me about kids learning guitar, I'm going to use this suggestion. :)

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2015, 09:49:30 AM »
The Willis Clan is pretty cool!
Susie

guitarsrsoawesome

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2015, 09:57:33 AM »
The Willis Clan is pretty cool!

Right? They've got a lot of music out there, even albums of celtic music as well as country influenced pop.  Members of the family have also won national championships for dance as well as wrestling.  (The Father was a wrestling coach, the mother the musician.)  BTW. They don't own a TV.  If only all of us would do that.  We'd be so much better at anything we set our minds to without tv zapping so much time and energy. 

crashcup

• "Trust in God, but tie your camel!"
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2015, 08:04:30 PM »
Want to see someone play accordion music on a Taylor 314?  Go to below link and FF to 1:49.