Author Topic: Representing Minnesota, USA  (Read 2176 times)

not darth

• Veteran Member
  • Near the lake in Minnesota.
Representing Minnesota, USA
« on: December 12, 2011, 04:55:40 PM »
Hey all, might as well bump up the post count and check in here as well!
I'm Kris, but I go by "not darth" on the guitar forums; my wife had our son Luke a few months ago. 

I barely even can claim to play guitar, I'm really no good but I can make some music-like noises here and there, and I'm getting better so it's all good.  I'm in my mid-thirties and got my first guitar as a teen, a miserable Peavey T15 (3/4 size electric) but no amp, just hotwired it into the phono input on an old receiver.  For a number of reasons I just didn't get the hang of it at the time, and sold it a few years later. 
Fast-forward to 25, had the itch again and bought a MIM Stratocaster at an auction, got a little amp, some pedals, thought I was going to 'rock it out' but again, I just didn't do much with it and it eventually ended up in a closet.  Probably shoulda taken lessons.
Then, about a year ago I dusted off the Strat and also took in my brother's Norma acoustic under foster care.  Started playing a bit every day, found that I much preferred acoustic sounds to electric with effects and started to focus on acoustic music and I've always been a Beatles fan so I've been working on some of those, as well as hymns and Christmas tunes. 
The Norma acoustic is really junk, action is about 1/4" high at the 12th fret, neck isn't straight, and it's just very hard to play. 
So, I had saved a bit of scratch and then sold a few other gadgets on ebay, scrapped up enough to buy a Taylor and I've never looked back!!!
Now I'm making even more progress, can actually play a couple Christmas songs all the way through and the cats are no longer hiding under the bed! 
I still think I should take lessons, but between my rotating shift at the hospital and keeping a 5 month old alive, I just don't have the time right now. 
In any case, I try very hard to at least pick up the guitar everyday, sometimes for an hour or more, sometimes only for 5 minutes.  It sure is fun!!! 
There is  just something magical about making music, it's indescribable. 
Good to meet you all!
:D
-K
Member #34
I'm not darth.

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
Re: Representing Minnesota, USA
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 05:13:52 PM »
greetings, fellow member of the 'blue quilted maple fan club' :D

i think we pretty much 'hi-jacked' rudals thread with our pics -
hopefully, he will forgive us as a fellow maple owner (sorry, rudals)

well, good to see you here & once again

WELCOME !
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

barefooter

• West Virginia Hills
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 05:44:05 PM »
Welcome aboard Kris,

Congratulations on your new child.  They are a bundle of joy and a true gift :)  AND, Welcome to the group.

Work sometimes keeps us away from our music, but as you stated a few minutes here and there goes a long way.  I think I should be taking lessons, but I figure it is for my enjoyment and I am able to wade through most music I want to play by just listening.  I've always played by ear and cannot read music or tabs.  I guess I really should attempt it, maybe one day.  See ya around.....
Tom
2005 T5 C2
2010 814ce Tobacco Burst
and a few other pieces of equipment
Romans 1:16

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 11:22:10 PM »
Hi Kris! I've been enjoying reading your posts. :D Congrats on the Jr. Member status. I see that MichaelW has now attained Full Member status so you better get busy and catch up to him!  ;)
Cindy

not darth

• Veteran Member
  • Near the lake in Minnesota.
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 04:28:23 PM »
Hi Kris! I've been enjoying reading your posts. :D Congrats on the Jr. Member status. I see that MichaelW has now attained Full Member status so you better get busy and catch up to him!  ;)

Oooo, I better get cooking!
 ;)

Just kidding, I'm not in any race, it's just so fun posting here that I can't help it!
:)
-K
Member #34
I'm not darth.