Lessons, Recordings, How Tos, Repair, Accessories > Lessons, Recordings, How Tos, Repair, Accessories

Taylor Repair Center Levels

<< < (2/3) > >>

guitarsrsoawesome:
I agree with the other responses.  I had a GS8 (in today's parlance, an 816) for several years and I switched between mediums, medium/lights (Med bass strings, light trebles: you should try these!  They put out all the bass you want with amazing treble sparkles, too.  This was by far my favorite strings on this guitar) as well as lights, and there were no setup issues whatsoever.  The GS neck is made to handle medium strings, so no worries there.  Enjoy your beautiful guitar without worry :)

Guitarsan:
Here's Taylor's current reccomendations, and what the guitars are supplied with:

http://www.taylorguitars.com/blog/taylor-support/faq-string-types-and-gauges

Now, the brand is relatively unimportant (Elixir), but gauge can be very important. Gauge determines string tension. (And other things human related, such as tone and playability.)

Each guitar is braced and set up when it leaves the factory to "optimally perform" with the string gauge it is originally supplied with. In some cases it's not "bad" to opt for another string gauge if you know why you are, if its ok for the guitar, and realize adjustments might need to be made to accommodate the change. Most often, if necessary, a truss rod adjustment. By the way, if one is newer to guitar and unsure of all of this, please do not adjust the truss rod yourself. Take it to a good luthier and if you like, ask them to talk you through what they're doing before ever attempting it yourself.

Remember I said some changes are ok, others are bad. i.e. medium strings on a 12 string Taylor=bad, light gauge on a GS=ok, but with caveats.

Given that I know all of this and all I am is just a guitar player, not a luthier who's business it is to know all of this, I would be very gun shy about a luthier who told you what he/she did about all acoustic guitars using light strings. They don't know what they're talking about.

Last point - HD Lights are a newer "hybrid" light/medium gauge string set.

Jersey tuning:
More caveats. Medium strings on a Taylor 12 tuned to C or C# is OK

Guitar Cowboy:

--- Quote from: Guitarsan on February 09, 2015, 11:18:07 AM ---
 Take it to a good luthier and if you like, ask them to talk you through what they're doing before ever attempting it yourself.

--- End quote ---

That's what I am hoping to be able to do

... Thanks everyone

guitarsrsoawesome:

--- Quote from: Jersey tuning on February 09, 2015, 12:59:22 PM ---More caveats. Medium strings on a Taylor 12 tuned to C or C# is OK

--- End quote ---

That would simply R U M B L E...would love to hear that!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version