Lessons, Recordings, How Tos, Repair, Accessories > Lessons, Recordings, How Tos, Repair, Accessories

Taylor Repair Center Levels

(1/3) > >>

Guitar Cowboy:
I'll probably call at chat with Taylor Support later this week , but does anyone know what distinguishes the Repair Center Service Levels of Premium, Gold, Silver Plus and Silver?

I don't have anything major going on. My 816 has Elixir Lights on it, I'm happy with the sound , but want to hear  the difference with mediums. My new  K26 has mediums and at first it seemed more difficult to play , but now (after a month or so) I don't notice  a difference in the playability between the two. So I want to try Mediums on the 816 and assume there will be a minor truss rod adjustment needed. Even though I have the Taylor spec sheet, having never adjusted a truss rod , I'd like to at least see it done  first before attempting myself.

Thanks

timfitz63:
This may not be an answer to your question, but I thought all GS guitars -- including the 800 Series -- came from the factory with medium-gauge strings...?

I guess my point is that, unless it came with light-gauge strings from the factory, it sounds like someone (perhaps you) put those strings on later; so your truss rod might be correctly adjusted now for medium-gauge strings -- if, indeed, any adjustment is needed at all between those string gauges.  Taylor Customer Service can probably advise you best.

And regardless of their certification level, I'm pretty sure any qualified Taylor Service Center (including, perhaps, your dealer) could make the necessary truss rod adjustment.

Guitar Cowboy:
Actually my local GC put the light gauge strings on before I came in to play it for the first time. I had been trying an 814 and asked if they could find an 816 for me to compare it with . They found one  and I came in to play both side by side. They had put new strings on both. Apparently they ( or at least the salesman  I was dealing with) was unaware that the GS models are spec'd with mediums. Neither was I because I was a complete newbie at the time. ( I'm still half a newbie)   Or maybe  they intentionally put lights on to improve the playability (?).  Obviously I purchased the 816.

When I found out that the GS was spec'd with mediums I changed them at my first string change, but did not check the truss rod  . Then I decided that I should  get a proper set -up ( I believe someone here recommended it)  . So I found a Gold Level rated service provider about an hour away and scheduled one.  But he recommended light gauge strings as they are considered the  "standard " for an acoustic guitar. I think he said mediums would put too much tension on the neck. This from a Gold Level Taylor Servce provider? So he scared me away from the mediums.  (remember, I am still a full fledged newbie at that time - a little over a year ago).

So that is  the background for my question regarding what distinguishes  Premium from Gold,Silver and Silver Plus. My other options are Silver Plus and Silver and I plan to take it in again for an overall check, a string change to Mediums  and a truss rod adjustment if needed.

timfitz63:

--- Quote from: guitarcowboy816 on February 08, 2015, 06:26:44 PM ---Actually my local GC put the light gauge strings on before I came in to play it for the first time. I had been trying an 814 and asked if they could find an 816 for me to compare it with . They found one  and I came in to play both side by side. They had put new strings on both. Apparently they ( or at least the salesman  I was dealing with) was unaware that the GS models are spec'd with mediums. Neither was I because I was a complete newbie at the time. ( I'm still half a newbie)   Or maybe  they intentionally put lights on to improve the playability (?).  Obviously I purchased the 816...

--- End quote ---

Hmm.  Well, I suspect that Guitar Center didn't make any truss rod adjustments when they swapped the strings, so you're probably safe to put the mediums on.

--- Quote from: guitarcowboy816 on February 08, 2015, 06:26:44 PM ---... When I found out that the GS was spec'd with mediums I changed them at my first string change, but did not check the truss rod  . Then I decided that I should  get a proper set -up ( I believe someone here recommended it)  . So I found a Gold Level rated service provider about an hour away and scheduled one.  But he recommended light gauge strings as they are considered the  "standard " for an acoustic guitar. I think he said mediums would put too much tension on the neck. This from a Gold Level Taylor Servce provider? So he scared me away from the mediums.  (remember, I am still a full fledged newbie at that time - a little over a year ago).

So that is  the background for my question regarding what distinguishes  Premium from Gold,Silver and Silver Plus. My other options are Silver Plus and Silver and I plan to take it in again for an overall check, a string change to Mediums  and a truss rod adjustment if needed.

--- End quote ---

You seem to have been given quite a bit of conflicting information.  I think Taylor Customer Support is going to be your best bet to clear up the confusion.

cooper59:
 I think if you have the strings on you like and it plays good and sounds good you really don't need a set up. taylors are usually set up very nice from the factory. sometimes I have had to adjust the truss rod when changing from lights to mediums or backwards sometimes not. now if you think it could play better with a set up it never hurts to get 1.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version