Author Topic: Not Plugging In  (Read 1202 times)

Guitar Cowboy

• Veteran Member
Not Plugging In
« on: February 07, 2015, 08:44:18 AM »
I have a Bose L1 compact that I use infrequently. When I practice, I typically don't bother to plug-in even though its super easy set-up with the L1. When I play at my monthly open mic night , there is already a sound system in place. I am wondering if I am doing my guitars or Bose a disservice by not plugging them in often enough. Should I make a conscious effort to practice plugged-in to give everything a proper workout? I think in writing the post , I've answered my own question... yes , I probably should.

Any other  thoughts  out there? Thanks
Steve
2020 326ce V-class soundhole cutaway prototype
(Mahogany/Urban Ash)
2019 E14 Limited Edition V-Class (Spruce/Ebony)
2019 814ce V-Class (Cedar/Rosewood)
2016 GS mini-E Koa
2015 618e 1st Edition (Torrified Spruce/Maple)
2014 K26ce (AA Koa- Wildwood CV) 
1980-something Yamaha  FG345II Dread

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
Re: Not Plugging In
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 03:23:08 PM »
Electronic equipment doesn't need a "workout" per se.  Modern solid state electronics are generally happy sitting for long periods.  Or even being left on for long periods (example:  I typically don't turn off my home stereo receiver except when leaving for vacation.  That habit might cost me an extra $10 a year in electricity). 

But you should probably plug in on occasion just to stay mentally current on how to set things up and stay accustomed to your plugged-in sound.  I have PA gear that comes out only a few times per year, and it works perfectly every time.  My electric guitar amp sat unused for seven years, but worked just fine recently when I pulled it out for a jam.  I did vacuum out the dust and cobwebs first.

The biggest issue in not using the electronics would be leaving old batteries in the guitar, DI boxes, guitar case accessory compartment, etc.  Batteries WILL eventually die and then leak into places you really don't want contaminated by chemicals.  If you plug in with some regularity, you'll figure out when batteries are dead.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

guitarsrsoawesome

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 10:49:57 PM »
Aside from the technical issues of lack of equipment use, for someone who only gigs occasionally but wants to be ready for that gig, I think it's really good to practice on your PA at least once a week.  Going to play open mics, you don't want to get there and have to adjust to the different way in which the guitar will respond plugged in.  If you're singing, you also want to be accustomed to how the mic will respond differently than singing sans a PA, so that when you get to the open mic you're accustomed to mic'd singing.

That's just my take.  As a sports coach, I always say, you're going to play the game/match like you practice, so it's good to replicate the situation in which you're going to play live as close as you can so that when you get there, you're ready, and the situation doesn't seem foreign.
November 2013 Taylor 514ce ES2
November 2011 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany

Craig

• Veteran Member
  • More guitars than talent but working on it.
    • UTGF Members Map.
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 04:51:04 AM »
Like Guitarawesone said, also it's good to get familiar with the phase switch - you never know when you'll need it.

Craig
1978 Music Man Sabre II
1980's Charvel Model 6
2014 816ce First Edition
2014 714ce FLTD Sassafras
2014 K24ce with AA top and Gotoh 510 tuners
2016 GS Mini e Koa
2015 Custom GS Mun Ebony and Engelmann Spruce
2017 Avalon A2-20c
And an Eastman Mandolin!

Visit the UTGF Members Map
http://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=1258011