Author Topic: How On Earth Do You Evaluate Sound  (Read 1733 times)

BobSol

• Too Old To Worry
How On Earth Do You Evaluate Sound
« on: February 03, 2015, 02:24:28 PM »
Hi Guys
             There have been some wonderful threads on this forum for the past month or so about the tonal qualities of Taylor's "new" breed of guitars. Hackles have been raised in a friendly way between very experienced members on the pros and cons of body shapes, tonewoods, playing styles etc. Last night, at my fortnightly tuition session, my tutor asked me would I mind if he recorded me to test some new software on his rig. I agreed and played (badly) the same song four times on my 510 Koa/ Spruce Ltd. When he played it back to me I was astounded because whilst the backing track sounded totally normal, I've practiced with it dozens of times, my guitar sounded absolutely amazing and totally different to what I hear sat behind the thing. So my question is, are we fairly evaluating the sound of our beloved guitars from where we sit or as others hear it. I'm sure more experienced players are used to this vast difference between "behind" or "in front" sound qualities but as a first timer it has never even occurred to me before.

Confused,   Coventry. 
2011 Taylor GA12 FLTD KOA
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa FLTD
2014 Taylor 456CE SLTD
2012 Taylor 210
2010 Taylor 510 KOA FLTD
2006 Taylor T5 C2 KOA

MB

• Veteran Member
  • It's a journey...
Re: How On Earth Do You Evaluate Sound
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 03:59:44 PM »
Guitars do sound very different from out in front as opposed to the guitarists perspective.
I say record yourself often...as a result your playing will improve and you will also find out where to put a microphone and even choose which microphone and subsequent gear sounds best...out front. I personally love the way it sounds in my arms. Ever seen those guitars with the sound hole in top side facing the player? They look quite odd but must sound very different to the player!

azslacker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 04:29:25 PM »
 I had a Martin HD-28 for about 15 years. I never played that much because of the bassy overtoney sounds I could hear while playing it. I put it up for sale and when the guy that bought it, played it in my house, I was blown away by how great it sounded from the front, and from a few feet away. The muddy sound I heard while playing developed into lush harmonies at a short distance. I almost backed out of the sale.
2016 322e 12 Fret
2011 312ce
2012 GS-Mini hog 
1983 Washburn D 12S
Yamaha Classical
Ukulele's out the ying yang.
2014 Larivée PO-3 Koa

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 07:05:07 PM »
Sometimes I sit in the focal point of my dining room bay window and play.  With glass on three sides at about four feet away, I get more of a feel for the "out front" sound too.  It is VERY different from sitting on the sofa in the living room.  Plus I get to look outside and see the yard, the trees, the birds, etc.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 10:26:29 PM »
Sometimes I sit in the focal point of my dining room bay window and play.  With glass on three sides at about four feet away, I get more of a feel for the "out front" sound too.  It is VERY different from sitting on the sofa in the living room.  Plus I get to look outside and see the yard, the trees, the birds, etc.

Not too long ago, I discovered how important the room acoustics really are to my perception of the guitar's tone.  So I've found a spot in my house where the acoustics are favorable for guitar playing; in one instance, it's a lot like your setting, Earl:  in front of a window where I can watch wildlife activity in my back yard.
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 10:02:41 AM »
I'm fortunate that my office/music room has pretty good acoustic qualities. But in any case, there's absolutely a difference (usually) between listening to yourself play in the typical sitting position and standing in front of it when someone else plays it.

I say usually, because as the owner of the guitar shop where I bought my Custom GC describes that guitar, it's not always the case. He says "It has this directness. It almost feels like... when you're listening to yourself playing the guitar in a sitting position, it's like you're actually inside the sound hole of the guitar. It's like there's this great, clean wash of sound coming out.... really, really rare for any guitar...."

And it's so true. So lucky to own it.....
"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa