Author Topic: Store in NC doing deals on Taylors  (Read 7348 times)

guitarsrsoawesome

• Veteran Member
Re: Store in NC doing deals on Taylors
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2015, 11:08:33 AM »
Two posts up I just reported that they were...

Oh, it wasn't obvious; apologies.

If I'm the business owner, I know that if a particular product isn't selling well or at a reasonable margin, and I have to blow it out in a manner which may not align with the vendor's rules, I would have to consider whether it's a product I should be stocking in the first place.

It may be a fantastic product (and, let's face it, Taylors are definitely that), but I would need to have products that are actually turning at a decent profit and heading out the front door, so I can bring in new product through the loading dock.

If it's a demographics/economics thing, it wouldn't make a lot of sense to bring in fresh examples of a product that, a year from now, I'll be forced to put on Craig's List.

I think you're still assuming it's against the rules to do this type of advertising on craigslist...I'm not sure that's the case, at least in the way he's doing it.  I would like to see Taylor's guidelines about this.

Definitely understand from an inventory planning perspective that these stores have to makes wise decisions as to what their local markets will bear.  As for this particular store, I explained above that it's in close proximity to a very wealthy summer home community, so perhaps they have rather seasonal demand. But Taylor, as well as  the other guitar makers, have minimum purchase requirements each year and perhaps each fall and spring, so they have to best gauge what to buy within those requirements.  One can never know why those guitars he has left weren't moved.  I've been in many stores with many high end Taylors that are still hanging around after a couple of years, New Old Stock they call it.  Just because they put the guitar in their inventory doesn't guarantee a sale, especially in this economy where people are having to address their money to needs more than wants. 

I think your lack of empathy toward these guys and other vendors is a little harsh.  And I'm getting perplexed by the conversation, so I digress.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 11:11:46 AM by guitarsrsoawesome »
November 2013 Taylor 514ce ES2
November 2011 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany

Harley

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2015, 02:20:42 PM »
I think your lack of empathy toward these guys and other vendors is a little harsh.  And I'm getting perplexed by the conversation, so I digress.

Well, having empathy towards them would make as much sense as having disdain, really, since almost everything here is conjecture.

What's not conjecture, though, is that this dealer has enough older stock that he has to resort to listing it on Craig's List. Also what's not conjecture, and what a phone call to Taylor this morning confirmed, is that dealers selling at deep discounts on Craig's List is not allowed.

So, yeah, there's that.

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2015, 06:02:18 PM »
I once got a really good deal on a Taylor guitar from a small dealer I knew well - a new guitar at basically a used price.  It was held on layaway by a teenager, who then broke his wrist and arm skateboarding.  With multiple pins holding several bones together, it was going to be a year or more before he could play guitar again.  The dealer didn't want to hold it that long.  But he also asked me not to reveal the price I had paid when registering the guitar, so he wouldn't get in trouble with the Mother Ship.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 06:03:57 PM by Earl »
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby