Author Topic: Greetings! (And the not-so-brief story of my recent Taylor baptism.)  (Read 8403 times)

Evan

Re: Greetings! (And the not-so-brief story of my recent Taylor baptism.)
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2015, 06:12:37 PM »
Thanks for sharing that story! And with your "beginnings" with Taylor as described, I know we'll be hearing more adventures from you.

Thanks also, because you make my story about upgrading twice to "better" Taylor 12 strings almost pale in comparison. Everything is relative, some say. (Though not me. It's illogical.)

I love those boyz at Andertons also, watched many a video of the Captain and the Chappers shoot the bull and laugh their ____ off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjLUJ99LU_s

There will definitely be more adventures to come. ;) Coming from a piano background, I find that I'm better able to rationalize the cost...plus I've always had a gift for lying outright to myself...

The Anderton boyz are indeed wonderfully entertaining. I'm only half embarrassed to admit that I've spent huge chunks of time watching them discuss guitars that I have absolutely no interest in. If I lived in England, they would get a ton of my business. Starting, perhaps, with that Jackson Browne guitar!

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2015, 11:12:16 PM »
Welcome, Evan!  I think you have the record for most Taylors initially purchased by a rookie; I only had two at first...  Just keep in mind that, in addition to their reputation for playability, Taylors are known to multiply exponentially... ;)

I think I may have admired your 714ce on the wall of Willcutt's "Taylor Room" during the past month or so that I've been hanging around Lexington.  Good folks over there at Willcutt!

Thanks! It does appear that they breed like rabbits.

I'm jealous that you've been to their actual shop. I've had good dealings with them a few times, and I've always wondered what it was like behind the curtain. I checked them out on Google satellite maps, and though it looked rather unremarkable, I did see someone out front getting a ticket! :)

Yeah, Willcutt's building appears to be an old house that they re-modeled into a guitar shop.  And it's packed to the rafters with guitars.  They have a couple of playing rooms upstairs where most of the high-end guitars are displayed, and a couple of storage areas.  Then there's another building across the street with more storage and, for lack of a better term, their repair center.

I've also been known to haunt Empire Music in Pittsburgh; in fact, I've purchased most of my guitars from there.  The owner, Joe, is a good guy; he keeps a steady inventory of interesting Taylors at his shop; and like Willcutt's, is one of Taylor's preferred online dealers.  Empire is always a good one to check when you're shopping for another (and another... and another... and another...) Taylor. ;)
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

Evan

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2015, 03:25:26 AM »
I've also been known to haunt Empire Music in Pittsburgh; in fact, I've purchased most of my guitars from there.  The owner, Joe, is a good guy; he keeps a steady inventory of interesting Taylors at his shop; and like Willcutt's, is one of Taylor's preferred online dealers.  Empire is always a good one to check when you're shopping for another (and another... and another... and another...) Taylor. ;)

I'll definitely have to check out Empire Music...once my credit card has stopped smoking. ;)

doctorinthehouse

• gym piper songs
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2015, 04:58:59 AM »
Welcome and congratulations on your new found passion. Not being picky but you NEED koa in there soon. ;D
classic  ;D
taylor 214ce
taylor mini gs koa
1982 westone rainbow 1 semi
vox ac4 tube amp

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2015, 07:04:34 AM »

I'll definitely have to check out Empire Music...once my credit card has stopped smoking. ;)

Yeah, I hear ya!  Collecting Taylor guitars is an enjoyable -- but expensive -- hobby...!  Even so, the stupid things are like potato chips -- you can't seem to stop at just one... ;)
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")

Craig

• Veteran Member
  • More guitars than talent but working on it.
    • UTGF Members Map.
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2015, 07:27:48 AM »

Yeah, I hear ya!  Collecting Taylor guitars is an enjoyable -- but expensive -- hobby...!  Even so, the stupid things are like potato chips -- you can't seem to stop at just one... ;)

I'd just like to point out that I'm sticking at three :-)

Craig
1978 Music Man Sabre II
1980's Charvel Model 6
2014 816ce First Edition
2014 714ce FLTD Sassafras
2014 K24ce with AA top and Gotoh 510 tuners
2016 GS Mini e Koa
2015 Custom GS Mun Ebony and Engelmann Spruce
2017 Avalon A2-20c
And an Eastman Mandolin!

Visit the UTGF Members Map
http://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=1258011

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2015, 08:43:31 AM »
Really chuckled reading your story. During the music store visit when I purchased my first Taylor, I walked out with 2. The sales guy said they didn't have the Spring LTD I was looking for so I sat with and fell in love with a GA-K. Then magically he returned from the storage area with the one I originally came for. Had to have them both. Did a lot of lying to myself that day.

Welcome! Glad to have you hanging around. And enjoy your cedar topped when it arrives later on today.
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2015, 09:41:54 AM »
Welcome Evan-

My guess is that you'll really enjoy the differences that each of your "twin" 714s will bring to the table. You're going to have a lot of fun comparing and contrasting. Remember that one is not better than the other. Each will have something special to offer. Would love to see side-by-side pics when the second one has landed.

Congrats!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2015, 12:44:57 PM »
Nice intro, Evan!

And I will wholeheartedly agree about cedar.  I am of the opinion that everyone needs to have a fine cedar-topped guitar inn their stable.  Well done :D

Edward

doctorinthehouse

• gym piper songs
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2015, 05:33:16 PM »
let me get this right you ended up with 4 in two weeks?
taylor 214ce
taylor mini gs koa
1982 westone rainbow 1 semi
vox ac4 tube amp

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2015, 08:29:49 PM »

I'd just like to point out that I'm sticking at three :-)

In your case, that appears to be three a week... ;)

ronmcc4

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2015, 12:17:09 PM »
At this rate, Evan might catch up with cigarfan!  ;D
Ron in Tennessee
--------------------------------------------------------
2015 Taylor 614ce
2014 Taylor 324ce-K FLTD
2013 Taylor 512e 12-Fret
Journey OF660
2014 Taylor 514ce-N

beachbum205

• <><
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2015, 03:46:44 PM »
Congrats and welcome!  Cool story too!

Best of luck with your new guitars!
8) Beachbum
Taylor 510e
Taylor 110ce
Martin D-35

<>< Psalm 33.3