Author Topic: Neck Relief- Acoustic vs Electric...  (Read 1757 times)

cassidy9914

Neck Relief- Acoustic vs Electric...
« on: January 08, 2015, 11:12:00 PM »
Kinda/ sorta read some other threads on this subject, but need a little more info. Is the measurement for neck relief the same for an acoustic vs an electric? Are the measurements taken at the 8th fret like an electric or at the 6th. Does it matter what the scale is? Larger acoustics are usually around... what? 25 1/4, I forget. The mini's are 23 1/2. Just got another GS Mini (QS e '13 fall limited) and at the 8th fret there's no relief if any at all. The action is a tad high, but will have to probably tweak the TR before double checking the action and making adjustments. Also... is the measurement the same as an electric at .010 or a little less relief? 
16 214ce-K Deluxe
17 Academy Series A12
12 Fender FSR DG Black Strat
15 Epiphone Les Paul Standard
16 Fender Squier Classic 50's Strat
17 Gibson LP Tribute

BobSol

• Too Old To Worry
Re: Neck Relief- Acoustic vs Electric...
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 08:54:13 AM »
I'm no expert but like you have read a fair bit on the subject and it makes logical sense to me that regardless of the scale length, if you capo the first fret and fret wherever the neck meets the body then measure the middle fret. This assumes string height at the nut and around the twelfth fret is close to manufacturers recommendations. I'm happy with around .006"-.008" clearance measured with engineering feeler gauges. I've read to use a business card but they can vary tremendously. If you have little or no clearance and a high action then I would suggest bridge adjustment is required to get the action right first, then tweak the truss rod to get the clearance you need. All this depends entirely on how you play i.e. an  aggressive strummer will need more clearance than a light fingerpicker, the holy grail being the lowest action for ease of playing "your style" without a hint of string buzz. Carefully removing material from the bridge base is irreversible but not the end of the world, just buy another bridge if you goof. Truss rod adjustment is dead easy to rectify if you overdo things. There are far more experienced guys on this wonderful forum who may disagree but for me it's about getting it right for yourself rather than focussing on set dimensions. Have a go at it, it's fun to learn. 
2011 Taylor GA12 FLTD KOA
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa FLTD
2014 Taylor 456CE SLTD
2012 Taylor 210
2010 Taylor 510 KOA FLTD
2006 Taylor T5 C2 KOA

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 02:22:23 AM »
Bob is totally right on here.  Assuming all is functioning well, the setup "specs" are just parameters Taylor (and other marques) establish for consistency.  Relief is simply measured at the midpoint between the first fret and the fret that meets the body.  The answer to the "proper amount" of neck relief is what works for you, your touch, and your style of music.

Edward

cassidy9914

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 08:40:45 PM »
so there is a difference between an electric and a acoustic as to where to take the measurements at which fret and which fret to measure from. An electric is at the first and last fret and measure from the 8th. Acoustic is first and 14th on average unless you have a 12 fret, and measure from the middle fret which usually the 7th. But I'm good now, Did my tweaking over the weekend and all is good now, even put on a new set of Elixir's.  We're golden 8)
16 214ce-K Deluxe
17 Academy Series A12
12 Fender FSR DG Black Strat
15 Epiphone Les Paul Standard
16 Fender Squier Classic 50's Strat
17 Gibson LP Tribute