Author Topic: Do all band members contribute to the songwriting process? (Songwriting Credits)  (Read 4272 times)

tedtan

Jericho-79,

In the situations you describe, you and your lead player are the songwriters and everyone else is contributing to the arrangement of the piece. You are free to credit yourself and the guitar player as the writers or to credit all of the band members if you feel their contribution warrants it. It's your (and the guitar player's) call.

As an example, listen to "All Along The Watchtower" by Bob Dylan and then listen to Hendrix's version: they're VERY different, but Hendrix and the boys don't get writing credit for coming up with some cool riffs, beats, fills and solos. Dylan wrote the song, Hendrix and the boys just rearranged it.

As to Bernie's comment on chord progressions, there aren't very many chord progressions, so can't really be copyrighted. (Don't get me wrong - if you come up with something truly unique, it could copyrighted, but unless you invent your own tuning system and chords, you really aren't coming up with something that hasn't already been done in classical, jazz, etc.). Otherwise all those jazz songs would violating existing copyrights because they're all either ii-V-I progressions or the rhythm changes progression, all the blues (and half the rock) songs would be in violation because they're all I-IV-V progressions, and so on. Besides, those progressions date back to classical and jazz compositions so old they're in the public domain already, anyway.

doctorinthehouse

• gym piper songs
i would say if the song is knocked up at a rehearsal with all members having a say then yes, but if someone turns up with a song and its recorded without serious format changes and lyric changes then the song is written buy the guy that brought it to the table. however some bands would say if its released under the band name then the song is shared.

with bands personally i would share the credit if its recorded with the band but solo stuff remains mine
taylor 214ce
taylor mini gs koa
1982 westone rainbow 1 semi
vox ac4 tube amp

Bernie

• Music Lover
A participation to the production credits is often used (or was in the days when records would sell well)...Not sure it is still as relevant as it was however...