Author Topic: Buying used-would a certain ES version be a deal breaker for you?  (Read 2695 times)

PraiseHim

I personally like the ES system in my guitar and I get good compliments on it's sound.  Mine takes a 9v battery, which I do like better than using AA batteries.  Seems like they didn't last as long though.   (My guitars were/are from 06-07).  I remember reading about problems with the earlier ES versions, maybe 2003.
I want to get another Taylor, and I'm sure I will buy used.  I think I may avoid those early ES versions.
Does Taylor still offer (for a fee) to upgrade the AA battery powered ES versions to 9v?
Susan
2007 GA3e
...and an old 1980's dread spruce/rosewood

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
Re: Buying used-would a certain ES version be a deal breaker for you?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 10:20:07 PM »
Yes, Taylor will still upgrade any ES1 version to the latest ES1. I've heard that you would even be able to upgrade to ES2 in the near future. With that said, I wouldn't let an older version get in the way of a sale of the right guitar.
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Herb Hunter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 02:50:26 PM »
No, none would be a deal breaker. I would consider a Taylor guitar irrespective of which Expression System it contained.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 06:19:08 PM »
You heard it, and I'd concur.  The chief concern is whether that particular guitar's voice and fit suits you; which version ES is 100% addressable after the fact.  And you can also have it done at any Taylor-authorized tech so no need to spend the sum to ship your guitar to the factory ...unless you're fairly local to SanDiego, then all the better.

That said, you may also consider the ES on the 2010-present (so-called "3rd gen" which is not the ES2 on some of today's models) as the ES that'd you'd be updating to should you find an earlier guitar.  So if you find a 2010-current guitar you love, that's money already "in there," so to speak.  I personally prefer this version's tone the best, but could easily live with the ES v2 (2007-2009), so whether you choose to update that is your call.  But I'm not a big fan of the ES v1 (2003-2006) which is easily identifiable by the AA-battery compartment.  Were I to fall in love with this gen guitar, I'd certainly be considering updating the ES as a matter of course.  But again, those are simply my personal preferences.

Edward

Astrum

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 07:07:07 PM »
Wouldn't be a deal breaker, but definitely a decision factor.
'02 Washburn D10CEB
'13 Martin OM-42
'14 Taylor GS Mini-e Koa FLTD

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 11:51:54 PM »
as of next year, it seems that only the 150e & 200DLX models may
continue with the ES1(.3) standard, although it may be possible to order
a 300 series up or Custom with the magnetic ES in place of the ES2 -
if you like the tone, playability, aesthetics & condition of the Taylor you're
considering, upgrading the ES, should a later version be desired or if the
electronics do not function as designed, should be possible, provided the
ES1(.3) is desired (one defeatable body sensor, discrete class A preamp)
but it will likely be a little while longer before the ES2 is available as a retrofit

if you prefer the tone of the magnetic ES, it may still be possible to purchase
the parts to do the conversion through customer service, but the routing of the
tailblock for the 9V power supply/output jack is something that not all repair techs
will be capable of doing, along with being able to align the body sensor correctly -
if the guitar in question is a 07-09 model, rerouting of the tailblock is a non-issue,
as they have a 9V power supply (only guitars using 2AA batteries require rerouting)
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

InsideOut

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 01:29:50 AM »
Are you shopping for a guitar to play mostly amplified or acoustic?  If you are only going to plug in every once in a while, I wouldn't worry about what electronics are in it.  If you will plug in fairly regularly, get one of the 9v systems.  I was never unhappy with my AA system, but the 9v is easier to change batteries on and it is a bit more flexible.  I would not buy a guitar knowing I was going to have the electronics upgraded.  Just put that upgrade fee money towards getting the guitar you want. 
I have enough, but can always make room for more.

ronmcc4

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 06:25:38 AM »
I'm thinking the more important factor would be the wood, construction, tone, condition, etc. As has been said the electronics can be upgraded. If I really liked the guitar but was sure I wanted to upgrade the electronics I'd for sure find out how much that will cost first since its part of the overall cost to acquire what you want.
Ron in Tennessee
--------------------------------------------------------
2015 Taylor 614ce
2014 Taylor 324ce-K FLTD
2013 Taylor 512e 12-Fret
Journey OF660
2014 Taylor 514ce-N

Christhee68

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 01:03:20 PM »
When I was shopping for my 314ce, I decided that I wanted only ES from 2007 or newer. 2010 and newer would be best, but would settle for 2007 if the price was right. I ended up with a great deal on a 2013, and now I see that they are now putting the new ES2 in 314ce's.
2013 Taylor 314ce
2015 Martin D-18
1982 Martin HD-28
2004 Fender Telecaster
2010 Martin X-Series
Mid 80's Sigma DM-3

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 02:19:44 PM »
I'd want my guitar to be amazing purely acoustically.  ES system not a factor for me.
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

Redwood Tree

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 03:28:10 PM »
  "I'd want my guitar to be amazing purely acoustically.  ES system not a factor for me."    Yes yes! I agree

Get the coolest Taylor you want , don't worry about it's amplification , That can be fixed many ways. 

Yep I've had many with the AA Battery system, and still do. Take those batterys out of it if not using for prolong time , AA leak and make a mess at the end pin.   99.9% of the time don't plug in 
       So, I own many with early systems, I think $300. is the charge to upgrade . If you have existing ES.

Now If you need to plug in as a preformer I'd at least up grade to the latest 9V system for you guitars.
       I've thought about up grading , But seem  to spend the money on just buying another Taylor  :-* Haha
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 03:42:08 PM by Redwood Tree »
Tom
"So Many Taylors Not Enough Talant"

guitarsrsoawesome

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2014, 06:02:18 PM »
That's an interesting question.  I think I would definitely gravitate toward ES1.3 or the new ES2 and would avoid the first two versions of the ES1, knowing what I know now.  I had a GS8 with an ES1.2 and I thought it had a very magnetic tone, especially the B string.  I liked the ES1.3 as well as the ES2, which is a completely different animal.  It's tonality reminds me of a K&K pure mini, which I've always liked because it brings the thunder in terms of bass response.  The ES2 is fully capable of this as well. So, yes the pickup would play a roll in at least what I'd be willing to pay for the guitar, knowing that I'd want to make a change to electronics if I wasn't a fan of what was already in there.
November 2013 Taylor 514ce ES2
November 2011 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany