Author Topic: GS Mini More Comfortable?  (Read 6443 times)

Kmeister

• Scenic Traverse Photography
GS Mini More Comfortable?
« on: December 01, 2014, 01:45:41 PM »
I have what is admittedly probably a stupid question.

I got one of the FLTD GS Mini Koa's and I cannot put the thing down. I find myself playing it more than I play my 414CE, which I feel silly about, since the 414 cost almost 4x the GS mini!

I was thinking about it as I played today and I like the sound of both - I think my preference for the GS Mini is that it's more comfortable to sit on the couch and play. I'm a fairly petite woman and am now debating if the reason I gravitate for the smaller guitar is because the shorter scale and smaller body are easier for me to wrap myself around and play, while the 414 is less comfortable due to the size.

So my question is.... does anyone else feel this way about the size of the GS Mini being more comfortable than the full sized guitars? Do people who like the smaller GS mini tend to also prefer the Grand Concert body size? And are there any recommendations for making the 414 feel more comfortable?

Thanks for humoring my silliness...
Kristen
----------
Taylor K26
Teye Electric Gypsy La India
Several "Kristen Made" Acoustics

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
Re: GS Mini More Comfortable?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 02:39:17 PM »
That's a tough one...if you're small and you like to play while seated, the smaller guitar will always win out. I'm a relatively small guy (5'6" 145 lbs.), but I always stand when I play (even with my Mini!), so my GAs present no problem for me. You may want to consider a 412 (GC) as a better alternative. Just remember that the smaller you go, the lower your volume would be as a rule. However, there are always exceptions....
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 03:22:55 PM »
As Strumming Fool stated, as you go to a smaller body size, you generally lose some volume. So, there are a few things to consider. What kind of music do you play and in what type of venue. The other thing is how you play (strumming vs. flat-picking vs. fingerstyle). All these will help you decide on the size of guitar that best meets your needs (along with woods).

That being said, if you primarily play at home, then comfort while playing on the couch, etc., plays a more significant role. I can see how you love the GS mini for comfort, as I love them for that too. As you can tell from my screen name, I'm a woman too, but am fairly tall (5'9"), so I also find the GA (414) comfortable to play. But, I play in different settings and need the volume the 414 (and K24ce) offers. I also have a GC (512ce), which is very comfortable for my fingerstyle. I do recognize that I give up some volume, but, there are times that that guitar is what fits-the-bill.

So, to try to answer your questions, yes, I find the GS mini and the GC's very comfortable to play. There's really nothing you can do to make the 414 more comfortable, other than using light strings and making sure it is set-up well, for your playing style. 

Hope this all make sense.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Kmeister

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 04:14:54 PM »
Well I dont perfrom for anyone but myself, so volume doesn't matter much to me and I tend to sit while playing, often on the couch. I will try standing with the 414 to see if that makes a difference..... Like I said, it's not uncomfortable and I probably wouldn't have noticed except that I now have the GS mini!

Kristen
----------
Taylor K26

azslacker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 04:30:54 PM »
 I'm 6'2", and have long slender fingers. My mini hog is my go-to instrument for everyday play. I like to play on the couch, and normally play at 5:00 a.m. each morning so lower volume is perfect. I find it is more work coaxing good music out of my other guitars. The mini nearly plays itself.
2016 322e 12 Fret
2011 312ce
2012 GS-Mini hog 
1983 Washburn D 12S
Yamaha Classical
Ukulele's out the ying yang.
2014 Larivée PO-3 Koa

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 04:59:35 PM »
My wife is 5-4" and really loves her GS Mini.  But she loves her CA Cargo even more, being a fan of carbon fiber.  The shorter scale fits her hands better and the the hug-friendly shape is much more comfortable for her wingspan and arm length.  She hardly plays anything larger, including HER Rainsong WS-1000.

Nothing you said was silly, Kmeister.  If the GS Mini feels good, sounds good, and meets your needs, then go forth and enjoy.  Put another way:  Let' say you had a closet full of really expensive & trendy shoes, but all size 9.   How much good would they do for you if you wear a size 6?     :D
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

TaylorMate

• Bard since the Sixties
    • Blogboek
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 05:07:56 PM »
I had the same experience Kmeister, certainly the first few weeks I had my Mini. It is a typical parlour guitar size and is ideal for the couch. That makes it in my view so comfortable and relaxed to play. Yet, after a while I started to appreciate again my other Taylors for all their specific characteristics - which are in the meantime both GC's; so the smaller size. And now, my Mini fits well in the balance. I have it often near to my desk to try out things. And it's ideal for traveling.
If you dig it, do it; if you dig it a lot, do it twice (Jim Croce)

Lyrics and music: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6gaSzHsXOYq-j_eQH6IwsW_K0S3CHfbk

Kmeister

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 11:44:36 AM »
Nothing you said was silly, Kmeister.  If the GS Mini feels good, sounds good, and meets your needs, then go forth and enjoy.  Put another way:  Let' say you had a closet full of really expensive & trendy shoes, but all size 9.   How much good would they do for you if you wear a size 6?     :D

Well ironically, I have flippers for feet, so despite a small build, I wear size 9 shoes!  :P

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Glad to hear I'm not the only person who finds the GS Mini is more comfortable. I wish you could get a super decked out version of the GS Mini - like a nice K24ce in a GS Mini body ;-)
Kristen
----------
Taylor K26

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Susie

Kmeister

Kristen
----------
Taylor K26

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 12:52:41 PM »
http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/products/1110104090.php?CategoryID=0&n=0
 ;)

Your volunteering to buy?  ;D
Nope, I just gave them my money for my K24ce. But, that would look really nice in your hands.  ;) You deserve it!
Susie

HAPPYDAN

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 03:36:14 PM »
Hey, KMeister - sounds like you've had an "AHA" moment. Enjoy the ride! Many artists and local posters have described "that moment" they found the perfect instrument. Some say it talks to them, some say it seems to anticipate the next chord or note, some say it just feels right. The price seems to be immaterial. So Congrats!

BTW, I also have a GS Mini, and I love it!

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2014, 04:37:08 PM »
I read somewhere on a forum recently that the best guitar for you, the "one", is simply the one you can't put down. (By the way, I believe you can have "the one" and know it, but still have other guitars for other moods, sonic differences, etc. I could go on for a number of paragraphs why, but I'll leave that for another day...)

Secondly, the GS Mini is one surprising guitar. There's no way Bob Taylor could have predicted its popularity, which is way, way beyond it's utility and intended purpose.

So, to summarize, I think you're on to something.  8)

"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa

guitarsrsoawesome

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 12:16:06 AM »
http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/products/1110104090.php?CategoryID=0&n=0
 ;)

Your volunteering to buy?  ;D
Nope, I just gave them my money for my K24ce. But, that would look really nice in your hands.  ;) You deserve it!

My all time favorite line on our forum, "You deserve it!" Lol.  Love it.

When I first got a GS Mini Hog I found myself playing it way more than the GS8 I had at the time for the very reasons you've enumerated.  Sitting on the couch it just fit.  I even found myself lying flat on my back playing it.  It's almost like you can play it any where and I would venture that there's someone on this forum who's played theirs in the bathroom, lol, but just not me! Ha!  Maybe that would be a good poll question?  (Sorry for the bathroom humor.)  But it wouldn't surprise me that this phase of playing the mini the majority of the time will run its course and your ears will want to hear the fuller sounding 414 again.  At least that's how it's been with me, phases of time when I prefer one sound/feel/scale length over another.  So while your 414 seems neglected now, I bet she'll get back in the game sooner than later and her value, though 4x more, will prove itself. 
November 2013 Taylor 514ce ES2
November 2011 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany

Montaramike

• Mike McCall, Spanish Guitarist
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2014, 03:04:06 PM »
I love playing my HV GS mini.  I definitely find my 414 FLTD more comfortable as sometimes I find the mini a wee bit cramped.  But the sound is so phenominal....
2011 Taylor Fall  Limited Cedar/Blackwood (Nylon)
Carmel Guitar Co OM Sinker/Bloodwood
Holden Village GS Mini
Navarro Special Grand Concert