Author Topic: I just bought a new 2014 514CE Fall Limited - has anyone see or played one?  (Read 2671 times)

6stringmusic

I just bought this guitar online and I expect it Monday.  I have not seen nor played these Tasmanian Blackwwod/Sitks beauties with the shaded edge burst finish and new ES2 system, but they captured my attention so much so that I HAD to order one.

I am pretty excited about this guitar as I wanted something that not only looked cool but sounded cool as well.  From what I gathered, this fits the bill perfectly.

I will post pics on Monday when she arrives, but has anyone here seen, played or own one of these that can share additional thoughts, perceptions and perhaps even pics?  How is the case that comes with these too? 

I appreciate the insight!  Cheers.

Maximus

I bought a 516 FLTD 4-5 weeks ago and LOVE IT!  It is well balanced from top to bottom, I can pound the snot out of it and it will peel paint, but I can also play with a very light strum or finger style and it responds beautifully.  Mine also responds well to drop tuning and capo use. I can drop it a full step without it sounding too muddy (It should be noted that this may have to do with the face that the Grand Symphony bodies come with medium strings vs the lights on a Grand Auditorium) and it also sounds good with a capo.

I am no expert in tone woods, but I was VERY pleased with the Tasmanian Blackwood and Grand Symphony body combo.  Your Grand Auditorium will be only slightly less bass heavy, but you are going to LOVE it. I guarantee it ;0)

Since I have purchased this guitar, i find myself playing it much more than my 2013 814CE which was my main axe.

Again, you are going to love it!
2018 Taylor 814ce Deluxe V-Class
2014 Taylor Custom GC
 - Adirondack Premium Spruce/Premium Select Cocobolo
2014 Taylor 150e
2013 Taylor GS Mini 'Hog

-----------------
2014 Taylor Holden Village GS Mini - DOB

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
I played a 514ce Fall Limited a few months back.  I'm not wild in general about edgeburst finishes, and the stain on the Blackwood seemed a bit dark for my preference; but that's just me.  The guitar sounded great to me, though; a nicely bright and balanced tone, similar to Koa.
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

6stringmusic

See it's just the opposite for me.  What I like about this and the other 500 series limiteds is just that, the edgeburst finish. I think these models look stellar!

Maximus

Funny, I too was not a fan of the sunburst and prefer natural finishes. However, I bought the guitar purely on tone and playability. Since I hasver had it asnd starterd to bond with it, I have truly grown to appreciate the edgeburst finish (although I loved the dark stained blackwood from the start)

6string, you are going to LOVE this guitar. I guarentee it.
2018 Taylor 814ce Deluxe V-Class
2014 Taylor Custom GC
 - Adirondack Premium Spruce/Premium Select Cocobolo
2014 Taylor 150e
2013 Taylor GS Mini 'Hog

-----------------
2014 Taylor Holden Village GS Mini - DOB

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
See it's just the opposite for me.  What I like about this and the other 500 series limiteds is just that, the edgeburst finish. I think these models look stellar!
Funny, I too was not a fan of the sunburst and prefer natural finishes. However, I bought the guitar purely on tone and playability. Since I hasver had it asnd starterd to bond with it, I have truly grown to appreciate the edgeburst finish (although I loved the dark stained blackwood from the start)

6string, you are going to LOVE this guitar. I guarentee it.

I find that, in some instances, a burst finish is nice; but most times I just prefer the wood au naturel.  But that's why Taylor make them both:  so we can all have the aesthetics we prefer...!

At least we all seem to agree that these Fall Limited Blackwood guitars sound great.  I think you'll be happy with it as well, "6stringmusic."
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

Drock2k1

I recently picked up (like this weekend) and 512CE 12fret. I have owned a Tasmanian Blackwood before but not one with a spruce top. I absolutely love the guitar. The spruce is a great compliment to the Blackwood and 12 fret bracing. Even though I would have preferred a natural finish with the shaded burst, they still look amazing.