Author Topic: 12 String Blues (actually 1 string blues, but who's counting?)  (Read 5039 times)

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: 12 String Blues (actually 1 string blues, but who's counting?)
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2014, 04:33:13 PM »
Hi Scott
              Send an email to Customer Support Europe and got a reply from California in a couple of hours which was impressive. They said NOT to fit the medium gauge string set as it could cause damage to the bridge and top with the extra tension at concert pitch. At my very limited playing skills I really enjoy trying to play along to songs on the CD player which is why I want to stay at concert pitch so I guess I'll stick to the lights unless anyone can suggest any other option for a slightly warmer sound. Thanks for the advice, that could have been a disastrous exercise.

Regards  Bob

I understand the desire to keep things at concert pitch.  FWIW, I had a lovely 655 that benefitted wonderfully (IMHO) from tuning down a full step (to D) with the elixir medium-gauge set (to which the factory said was perfectly fine tuned to D).  To my fingers, it felt the same in tension, but the sound was deeper and mellower than tuned normally with lights.  Capo 2 and you're right on pitch (and may I personally recommend for a 12-er to get the G7th Performance capo for 12s).  Totally easy and sounds great whether or not you're capoing.

Alternative that's more pricey: use the elixir nano extra-light set in PhosBronze ...it's the same gauge set as the 12-string lights.  Then order rest of the individual strings: in PB for the wounds, and plain steel for the rest.  "StringsAndBeyond" will allow you to do so, and though the total cost is more than a regular 12er set, I much prefer the PBs for my 12 than the 80/20s.  And FWIW, I emailed elixir about PBs and they have NO plans on assembling a 12er set in PB ...which annoys me as it's not like they really have to "do" much of anything outside of packaging!
Hope that helps you a bit.

Edward

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2014, 11:20:35 AM »
Hi Scott
              Send an email to Customer Support Europe and got a reply from California in a couple of hours which was impressive. They said NOT to fit the medium gauge string set as it could cause damage to the bridge and top with the extra tension at concert pitch. At my very limited playing skills I really enjoy trying to play along to songs on the CD player which is why I want to stay at concert pitch so I guess I'll stick to the lights unless anyone can suggest any other option for a slightly warmer sound. Thanks for the advice, that could have been a disastrous exercise.

Regards  Bob

No problem! And you might consider trying the mediums, tune down one step to D, and then play both open strings as well as capo on the 2nd fret, which gets you back to concert pitch.
"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa

BobSol

• Too Old To Worry
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2014, 02:15:42 PM »
Hi Guys
            I've restrung with a set of lights which my dealer kindly threw in when I bought the guitar. A somewhat challenging hour or so I have to say. A lot of creaking involved but I patiently stretched and tuned and finally beat it into submission. I'm hacking away at "Dead or Alive" with the descending sixths intro which is why I kinda like it in concert pitch. Edward, the store was good enough to keep the mediums I ordered and I'm going to try the phosphor bronze set next time. Thanks for the help guys, I've still got images of a bridge flying past my nose attached to pick up wires and strings. I wonder what chord that would be err, never mind, thanks again. Just love this forum.

Bob
2011 Taylor GA12 FLTD KOA
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa FLTD
2014 Taylor 456CE SLTD
2012 Taylor 210
2010 Taylor 510 KOA FLTD
2006 Taylor T5 C2 KOA

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2014, 02:32:34 PM »
Thanks for the help guys, I've still got images of a bridge flying past my nose attached to pick up wires and strings. I wonder what chord that would be err, never mind, thanks again. Just love this forum.

Bob

Hilarious! So happy we could help. I'm paying it forward, I've been helped so many times. Like I've learned from some on here or another board to tune that High G string to pitch last.

By the way, I do believe I have some "binding" going on in the nut with that string, so will lube her up with graphite etc. next time I change the strings.

Bob, still trying to spend your money, I replaced all my tuning knobs with locking tuners, so the task of restringing a 12er is not so laborious and time consuming. A thought for down the road....

2 sets of these:

https://www.grotro.com/Grover/2154a941-6e5d-484f-a28c-2640779e7038/LOCKING-ROTOMATICS/Mini-Locking-Rotomatics-406-Series

and installed....

"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2014, 11:55:17 PM »
Glad to share what had worked for me, Bob!  Given the choice, I ended up sticking with concert pitch, myself.

BTW, "Wanted"...great tune...love it!  Next on your 12er is Give a Little Bit (all chords, yesss!), Wish You were Here, Over The Hills and Far Away, and Brown Eyed Girl.  All fun anyway, but especially fun on a 12 :D

Edward

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2014, 09:48:07 AM »

BTW, "Wanted"...great tune...love it!  Next on your 12er is Give a Little Bit (all chords, yesss!), Wish You were Here, Over The Hills and Far Away, and Brown Eyed Girl.  All fun anyway, but especially fun on a 12 :D

Edward

Classics! Also Free Falling, More Than A Feeling, Hotel California, and Horse With No Name.

BobSol

• Too Old To Worry
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2014, 10:19:10 AM »
Steady on chaps, I've only been playing eighteen months. I've been working on "Dead Or Alive" for six months and figure I'll definitely be dead before I nail it. Edward, just to confirm the phosphor bronze strings you recommend, Elixir has the polyweb 80/20 strings as having the warmest tone on their scale of warm to bright. Are they the ones or the nanoweb pure bronze? 
2011 Taylor GA12 FLTD KOA
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa FLTD
2014 Taylor 456CE SLTD
2012 Taylor 210
2010 Taylor 510 KOA FLTD
2006 Taylor T5 C2 KOA

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2014, 02:33:05 PM »
Hey Bob,

I suppose you could try the polyweb, but I had tried those exactly once about a decade ago and couldn't stand the tone nor feel ...but that's clearly a personal choice.  I'm referring to the light-gauge (10s) PB in nanowebs.  I've got that set on my 12er now (plus the other strings in PB/nano, natch), and I like the tonal difference over the stock 12-string 80/20 nano set from elixir: fuller bottom end, less jangle, and better overall string balance to my ears.

BTW, "Give a Little Bit" is a great tune that's easy on the fingers and sounds glorious on 12 strings :D

Hey Guitarsn,
yeah, FreeFalling ...forgot about that one, thanks!  :)

Edward