Author Topic: Zoom recorder  (Read 1524 times)

Louis

• Alberta Canada
Zoom recorder
« on: August 12, 2014, 05:18:40 PM »
Any one here know anything about these so called Zoom recorders? I have a new  neighbour   who just moved not far  from me and has this zoom h4n recorder he swears by, myself I never seen one but  looking for a second opinion before I spring for one.
Taylor 315ce Jumbo 2010
Bose L1’s (2)
Fender F65--1977
Taylor 12 string 356ce

Fender Strat - 50's special edition (red)
Heil. Fin  microphone
Fender 512 sub woofer
Digiteck 3 vocal harmonizer

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
Re: Zoom recorder
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 07:54:34 PM »
Well, I opted for the Tascam DR07-mkII.  It's similar to the DR-05 but it does have the ability to overdub and the mics move from x to y, the DR-05 is only y.

Depends on what you want it for, I use mine to record workshops and myself to email to my instructor.  It was pretty economical on Amazon and came with a rebate.

I looked at the Zoom and it seemed good, I bought the Tascam BC it was on sale.

Tarekith

• Luxembourg Mastering Engineer
    • Artist Website
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 10:31:12 AM »
A lot of people I know use the H4n, very flexible and popular recorder.  I liked the ergonomics of the edirol r09 better myself, but I'd have no issues using the zoom either.
Erik M.
InnerPortalStudio.com
2013 814ce, All Cosmo Black Hardware.

Gutch

• Veteran Member
    • www.davegutshall.com
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 11:21:46 AM »
I bought the first generation H4, and it works just fine.  The screen is a tad small, but that would be my only complaint (They fixed that in later versions like the H4N).  to be honest, I've never used the multi-tracking capability on the H4, just straight ahead stereo.  It is a plastic body but has held up very well traveling around in a guitar case.  A couple years after the H4, I grabbed a used H2 at a bargain basement price.  It became my audio scratch pad for writing.  Easy on, stands up on the desk and is easy to use. 

Both provide solid audio quality and the SD card is easily accessible for transfer or you can use USB direct to your PC.
‎"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
-- Plato

Louis

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 04:25:06 PM »
Good info  ,thanks ----reason why I'm asking is I am using a Passport Fender 500 and you can record with it using a USB but I have a real hard time getting it to record with a sound I'm happy with , I set this and that over and over again and rarely  satisfied with the recording with a thumb nail in the Fender, so I thought mabye this would be more user friendly . I made one recording and took me forever - it's on Sound cloud called Jen's wedding July 2011 I think it is if you want to have a listen - it's just me and my 315 no effects no nothing in the raw as it comes.
Taylor 315ce Jumbo 2010
Bose L1’s (2)
Fender F65--1977
Taylor 12 string 356ce

Heil. Fin  microphone
Fender 512 sub woofer

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 05:27:15 PM »
I have heard lots of good things about the Zoom H4's, but I spent more and opted for the Sony PCM D50.  (I also use it for field recordings for work, so needed the extra features).

Recording directly off the mixing board also gave me poor results.  The settings and mix that you need to make it sound good in the room are not the settings or mix that will yield the best sounding recording.  That may be the root of your issue.  Best results are obtained when I put the recorder in front of the speakers or out in the crowd, so the mic gets what their ears get.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Louis

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 02:36:43 PM »
I would of never thought but I'm seeing you are right on the mixing board recording Earl .i found a Zoom H4 N from a girl who .doesn't use it , for a heck of a price in Calgary almost new off Gijiji.Thanks guys cause before this post I had no idea
Taylor 315ce Jumbo 2010
Bose L1’s (2)
Fender F65--1977
Taylor 12 string 356ce

Heil. Fin  microphone
Fender 512 sub woofer

Louis

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 10:11:26 AM »
Well since no one had any thing bad to say about this Zoom I bought one . Been watching u-tube videos for  over 3 hours  and haven't scratched the surface of what this thing can do .You can even record a song put it in Kareoke mode and pull the voice off it .
Taylor 315ce Jumbo 2010
Bose L1’s (2)
Fender F65--1977
Taylor 12 string 356ce

Heil. Fin  microphone
Fender 512 sub woofer

FDHog

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 08:34:34 PM »
Bought a Zoom H6 and later found out that it can't do overdubs with the internal mics.
Should of gone for the H4n.
Been using my Tascam Porta Studio.
814CE
414CE
516CE
1959 Les Paul Reissue
1960 Les Paul Reissue
2 Modified Stratocasters
and a few others