Author Topic: UTGF get together?  (Read 5210 times)

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Re: UTGF get together?
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2014, 01:18:56 PM »
Northern Lower Michigan is where I am. So, El Cajon would be quite a trip. We've been to the Taylor factory already, so that's not on our planned motorhome trips any more. Got other places to go in the U.S. that are priority. If we can work out attending a UTGF reunion in conjunction with a planned trip, that would be cool. Otherwise, I'd probably only seriously consider something in the Midwest area. It's going to be difficult to please everyone, because we are so spread out.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

fretted

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2014, 01:44:12 PM »
The unofficial Martin Guitar forum hosts a get-together every summer at their factory. They put out a modest spread in a big tent and Chris Martin addresses the crowd. I've been to a couple and its a very nice day. Of course it includes a tour. Be great if Taylor considered such a shindig. I'd think about coming from Pennsylvania. Give me an excuse to re-visit SD. Maybe Taylor could even work out a local hotel deal.
1993(?) 410 Special Edition (Rosewood/cut-away)
1995 412
1997 810
1998 Mahogany Baby
2000 714
2010 DN3
2013 Mini Mahogany
2014 522 12 fret
About two dozen other brands of guitars, mandolins, ukuleles, banjos and Venezuelan Cuatros, not to mention the flutes, pennywhistles and the piano.

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2014, 02:02:14 PM »
The unofficial Martin Guitar forum hosts a get-together every summer at their factory. They put out a modest spread in a big tent and Chris Martin addresses the crowd. I've been to a couple and its a very nice day. Of course it includes a tour. Be great if Taylor considered such a shindig. I'd think about coming from Pennsylvania. Give me an excuse to re-visit SD. Maybe Taylor could even work out a local hotel deal.

It would be real nice if Taylor would be a part of this.  Private tours, and maybe a Road Show style presentation, picnics, a bit of glad handing from Bob and Andy would be absolutely awesome.  Anybody know Bob personally?
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Lizzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2014, 11:09:42 PM »
I suggest El Cajon, California--right next to San Diego, plus you can visit the Mothership at the same time.

I like this idea too!

Southern Indiana (Evansville) my house, in October. Great weather here then, and the leaves are turning. I can't go too far. I'm one of those sillies who are afraid to fly.

Aw, c'mon Lizzy!  I'll bring my Cherokee up to Indiana and help you get over that fear!  Nothing to it at all!  Imagine seeing the leaves turning from above!

You mean like one of those Piper Cherokee twin engine puddle jumpers:) I won't even be able to see the trees if I'm too heavily sedated:)

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2014, 10:47:15 AM »
Southern Indiana (Evansville) my house, in October. Great weather here then, and the leaves are turning. I can't go too far. I'm one of those sillies who are afraid to fly.

Aw, c'mon Lizzy!  I'll bring my Cherokee up to Indiana and help you get over that fear!  Nothing to it at all!  Imagine seeing the leaves turning from above!

You mean like one of those Piper Cherokee twin engine puddle jumpers:)...

That's the one!  Puddle-jumper; bug-smasher:  they're all the same...!  Except mine only has one engine... ;)

... I won't even be able to see the trees if I'm too heavily sedated:)

Well, I'll just fly closer to the trees, then... ;)
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

Ciarre

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2014, 04:04:56 PM »

You mean like one of those Piper Cherokee twin engine puddle jumpers:)...

That's the one!  Puddle-jumper; bug-smasher:  they're all the same...!  Except mine only has one engine... ;)

... I won't even be able to see the trees if I'm too heavily sedated:)

Well, I'll just fly closer to the trees, then... ;)

Haha!! I once had the....I'll call it opportunity....to be the passenger in a Cessna 150 while the pilot did some aerobatics. There was a barrel roll in there, and a hammerhead or stall turn.
Best of all, there was a high plains thunderstorm that we had to outrun. Wouldn't want to experience the wind shears and other stuff of one of those.
So, Lizzy, a tree hugger plane ride? Piece of cake....but maybe don't eat any cake before you go. :)

Anyway, I would try to attend a get together, if there were enough advance notice.

Lizzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2014, 04:52:20 PM »
Tim - years ago I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to fly in a private jet a few times. Sat like eight,  I think. Maybe called a Gulstream...don't really remember. Anyway, that's a cool way to fly. No acrobatics though, Ciarre:)  Developed my fear as I got older. But maybe I would try puddle jumping in your Cherokee. If my husband can come and hold my hand!

My husband and I would definitely try to come to a reunion if it was within a decent driving distance.  We could invade some hotel somewhere, and use a conference room, have dinner, ogle guitars, etc:)

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2014, 06:23:41 PM »
Haha!! I once had the....I'll call it opportunity....to be the passenger in a Cessna 150 while the pilot did some aerobatics. There was a barrel roll in there, and a hammerhead or stall turn...

As you might have guessed at this point, I love doing aerobatics.  I've had rides in an Extra 300 and a Pitts S-2B -- both serious aerobatic airplanes.

Fortunately for Lizzy, my Cherokee isn't certified for it. ;)

... Best of all, there was a high plains thunderstorm that we had to outrun. Wouldn't want to experience the wind shears and other stuff of one of those...

Yeah, it's generally best to avoid those.  Every pilot has a story about inadvertently straying into one -- and I'm no different.  We'll just leave it at that for now...

Tim - years ago I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to fly in a private jet a few times. Sat like eight,  I think. Maybe called a Gulstream...don't really remember. Anyway, that's a cool way to fly...

I agree with you there!  By virtue of my job, I've gotten to ride in several different kinds of private jets.  That's the only way to go...!

In a former job, I was part of the test team that certified the SJ30-2.  We were returning from the East Coast where we had been testing the aircraft at a specialized facility there, and I talked the test pilot into diverting to Pittsburgh so my parents could see the aircraft.  Once we departed from Pittsburgh, I was standing at my desk in San Antonio only three hours later, calling my father to tell him we'd arrived safely...!  The same flight in my Cherokee would be around nine hours...!

... But maybe I would try puddle jumping in your Cherokee. If my husband can come and hold my hand...!

There's room.  In fact, there would still be one more empty seat; so bring along a pretty girl to hold my hand, too...!  ;)
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)