Author Topic: House Concert@Dreamguitars<Robin Bullock, Steve Baughman>  (Read 723 times)

darylcrisp

House Concert@Dreamguitars<Robin Bullock, Steve Baughman>
« on: August 04, 2014, 11:06:44 PM »
Had a great time at Dreamguitars saturday night!

Robin Bullock and Steve Baughman did a house concert(which are always great at Dream), to about 60+ folks. We sat in Pauls living room and had pretty much front row seats for everyone if you think about it. The visibility and sound were excellent. This type of concert is more close and personable, and being able to spend time talking with the artist before and after the performance in an easy, laid back atmosphere just enhances the event. The preconcert potluck dinner was very good, as usual, and the opportunity to explore the instrument"vaults" and go GAS crazy just tops it off as a great way to spend an evening.

Robin and Steve(check out his clawhammer guitar DVD, also on youtube), did a most excellent fingerstyle performance hinting towards the celtic side of things, with some mandolin and guitar Bach arrangements of Robins.

Steve hauled out an openback Banjo for some light, calming, "lower your blood pressure" clawhammer banjo(yes, its true folks). His command of the clawhammer technique on the steelstring guitar is amazing-and so is his DVD on that skill. Just buy it and do it. His Circa guitar, though not that old, looked well used-and sounded really good.

Robin has a 2002 710 limited Taylor, and a 12 string Taylor(didn't ask the year-sorry). The 710 sounded very nice and had great tone. Just an excellent all around guitar. The 1920 Gibson A style oval mandolin was the trick also.

If you get a chance, definitely check these 2 guys out. Amazing artists, extremely friendly and funny-lots of funny stories.
Each have lots of music to buy-i picked up some really nice Christmas CD's from Robin and  6 other CD's from he and Steve.

d
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 12:56:13 AM by darylcrisp »

Clay

Re: House Concert@Dreamguitars<Robin Bullock, Steve Baughman>
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 06:34:48 PM »
Sounds like an evening that I would have really enjoyed.

I have Steve's DVD and have been working on clawhammer.  It took a few days to get the basic feel going.  I've learned Wasilla Weed and I'm going to try Cluck Old Hen next.
Clay

Taylor
'13 BTO GA:AA koa
'13 514e-FLTD:mahog/Eu spruce
'12 BTO GT6:ovangkol/addy spruce
'12 custom 512ce:mahog
'12 912ce-N:rosewood/cedar
'10 516ce:mahog/cedar
'04 614ce-L7:maple/spruce

McPherson
'08 MG-4.5:rosewood/redwood
'14 MG-4.5XP12:beeswing mahog/spruce
'13 CMG-3.5:koa/addy spruce

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
Re: House Concert@Dreamguitars<Robin Bullock, Steve Baughman>
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 08:30:11 PM »
I'm going to be at the Acoustic Alaska Guitar Camp in Wasilla in two weeks, and Steve will be one of the instructors (one of the few repeat teachers from prior years).  It will be FUN!
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby