Author Topic: Hello from West Virginia  (Read 2316 times)

barefooter

• West Virginia Hills
Hello from West Virginia
« on: December 12, 2011, 10:30:31 AM »
Good morning ladies and gentlemen,

I've been here since day 2 and have made a few post, but I wanted to use the new sub-forum to introduce myself formally.

I am on the upper side of 55 and am one of the many here who enjoy music and guitars.  I do not consider myself as possessing a great amount of knowledge concerning music, but love reading about everyone elses expertise and experiences.

I am marreid, have a great family that includes my wife, two daughters, and a son.  I've got three grandchildren :)  I worked in law enforcement and was fortunate to be able to retire from there.  I returned to work with the same agency as a civilian investigator and really enjoy the work. 

Hobbies include waterskiing which is where my forum name of barefooter came from.  I enjoy skiing barefooted and have done so since the mid 80's.  I also ride motorcycles and currently have a 2002 Honda Goldwing I bought new.  And then, I have a few guitars, amps, and a PA system for music.

Music wise, I use to play the Top 40 from the 60's and 70's when in and first out of High School.  When entering into law enforcement, I put my only guitar at the time, a Gibson SG Special under the bed where it stayed until I retired.  After retirement, some friends asked if I would play rhythm in a Gospel Band, so I started playing again.  I picked up the acoustic guitar and have been at it since.  I currently play alone, or with my wife and one daughter in our Church.  I started attempting to sing a few years back and will go to other Church related functions around my area and play and sing there.

Hopefully I have not bored you all when you read this.  I look forward to the future regarding this Forum adn all who participate.

Have a great and blessed day and I wish each a Merry Christmas
Tom
2005 T5 C2
2010 814ce Tobacco Burst
and a few other pieces of equipment
Romans 1:16

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
Re: Hello from West Virginia
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 05:05:25 PM »
hi Tom,

WELCOME :D

thanks for introducing & sharing about yourself -
it great when a common interest being a community together

a friend of mine is a LEO for the county & it's a difficult job -
thanks for your service & know that is greatly unappreciated

i tried water-skiing once & found out that i can't breathe water ???
i fare a good bit better snow-skiing, but being on the water is fun

is there a chance of possibly of sharing a sound/video clip of you,
your wife & daughter playing at church - if so, i'd love to hear/see it

good to see you here :D
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

barefooter

• West Virginia Hills
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 05:19:45 PM »
hi Tom,

WELCOME :D

thanks for introducing & sharing about yourself -
it great when a common interest being a community together

a friend of mine is a LEO for the county & it's a difficult job -
thanks for your service & know that is greatly unappreciated

i tried water-skiing once & found out that i can't breathe water ???
i fare a good bit better snow-skiing, but being on the water is fun

is there a chance of possibly of sharing a sound/video clip of you,
your wife & daughter playing at church - if so, i'd love to hear/see it

good to see you here :D

Thanks for the welcome michaelw...  Yes, law enforcement can be difficult at times, especially when emotions start to flow.  It is especially difficult when a serious situation happens.  I worked for the State Police and loved the work.

I know what you mean about breathing water.  I tried that a few times when learning to waterski.  I drank about all the lake a few times learning the "deepwater" start when barefooting.  Always let go of the rope if you are going under  ;D  For those of you who have waterskied, you know what I mean.

As for the video/soundclip, we have none at the moment.  I've been playing around with an old recording program (not in the past few months though) in an attempt to learn about recording.  When I get this conquered, I'll see about sharing if everyone promises not to run off  :) 

Later my friend
Tom
2005 T5 C2
2010 814ce Tobacco Burst

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 11:27:47 PM »
Hi Tom! :) Must be nice to waterski! Heck, I don't even know how to swim! :o
Cindy

barefooter

• West Virginia Hills
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 07:33:51 AM »
Hi Tom! :) Must be nice to waterski! Heck, I don't even know how to swim! :o

Well Cindy I have an admission to make.....  When I was first invited to the lake with a few friends, I was unable to swim either.  Safety wsa first though and a Ski jacket was worn.  I saw how much fun it was watching others fall and actually ski.  It was kind of like guitars, once bitten, you've been had  :)
Anyway, a man came in from Ohio to visit his parents the first summer I was skiing.  I met him on the lake through one of my lake buddies and I saw barefoot skiing for the first time.  By the way, this man was the National Barefoot Ski Champion in the 40 and over group at the time.  I was amazed at what I saw and there was turning back.  He taught me how to barefoot and we have been skiing partners sicne that day.  Most improtantly though is that I have learned to swim now.

A final note, my barefooting partner and I have 'footed' up until last summer (2010).  He is 77 this month and only did not ski this past summer due to some back issues.  He says he is coming back though.  Oh, he and I ride motorcycles during the warm season.  The thing I've learned from him is to stay as young as you can as age will come about.
Tom
2005 T5 C2
2010 814ce Tobacco Burst