Author Topic: Why no 12-fret case?  (Read 4001 times)

Gary-N-LA

Why no 12-fret case?
« on: July 04, 2014, 09:51:51 AM »
I recently purchased a wonderful Taylor BTO Sinker Redwood/Figured Rosewood 12-fret, which I love.  However, it came with the standard GC case, which is designed for a 14-fret guitar.  My Martin 00 has a case built just for it - a small case that fits easily into my car.  That unnecessarily large Taylor case does not.

Why doesn't Taylor make a 12-fret case?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 12:19:14 PM by Gary-N-LA »
2014 Santa Cruz 1929-00 - All Mahogany
2013 Taylor Custom GA - Cedar/Maple
2013 Martin Custom 00-21 - Sitka/EIR
2012 Cordoba C7 Classical - Cedar/EIR Lam.
2008 Fender Stratocaster 70s Reissue

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
Re: Why no 12-fret case?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 10:34:35 AM »
I'm thinking it's just a cost/tooling thing; if the larger case can accommodate guitars with two different neck lengths, most business-minded folks won't offer a shorter case.
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

TaylorMate

• Bard since the Sixties
    • Blogboek
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 10:50:43 AM »
Mine came with the standard GC case too. I see no problem with that. It fits easily into my really small Toyota Corolla 1987 (yes, still in good shape). So does even my (larger) GA. But anyway I didn't buy a TF to fit into my car ;).
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 01:51:36 PM by TaylorMate »
If you dig it, do it; if you dig it a lot, do it twice (Jim Croce)

Lyrics and music: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6gaSzHsXOYq-j_eQH6IwsW_K0S3CHfbk

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 10:57:45 AM »
I'm thinking it's just a cost/tooling thing; if the larger case can accommodate guitars with two different neck lengths, most business-minded folks won't offer a shorter case.
This is what I was thinking too.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 11:48:17 AM »
I recently purchased a wonderful Taylor BTO Sinker Redwood/Figured Rosewood 12-fret, which I love.  However, it came with the standard GS case, which is designed for a 14-fret guitar.  My Martin 00 has a case built just for it - a small case that fits easily into my car.  That unnecessarily large Taylor case does not.

Why doesn't Taylor make a 12-fret case?
unless the guitar was a GS (i've yet to see a 12 fret GS), the case the
guitar shipped in should have been either the 14 fret GA or GC case -
as far as i know, Taylor uses one case for each body shape 12 fret GA, 14 fret &
12 string GA, 12 & 14 fret GC & 6 & 12 strings of the same body shape (DN & GS)

to have a separate case for each model configuration would not only mean
having to retool for each one, there would be more to inventory & stock,
which mean more time & labor spent in "tracking" the correct case -
most other large scale builders do not build their own cases & i believe that
Taylor decided to go back & build the cases for their el cajon made guitars
(& the 200 DLX models) just as they did when they started making cases in
santee in late 89 ... they want to the most control over quality & if there's a
concern, they are in a better position to implement corrections & improvements

another option is to have a case custom made from a company that does
nothing but cases, such as ameritage, cedar creek, calton or karura -
when one sees what actually goes into making a case, it should be
quite apparent why most guitar builders let someone else do it, as
they don't want to invest the near equivalent in setting up & maintaining
a facility that is about as involved as the instrument making itself
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 01:58:05 PM »
I'm curious as I've never seen a 12F while in its case, but I really can't imagine it being dwarfed or ill-fitting as the body dimensions are identical to it's 14F GC or GA counterpart.  So are we talking about, what, maybe 1.5" or so shorter in neck length?  Does that make the neck/headstock sit weird in the case?  I'd be curious to see a pic if anyone's willing to snap a shot...

Edward

Gary-N-LA

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 02:08:50 PM »
It fits fine, but there is about 3 inches of headroom past the end of the headstock. My Martin 00 Geib case does not add that headroom and is therefore more compact and easier to pack in the car.

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 02:28:57 PM »
I'm curious as I've never seen a 12F while in its case, but I really can't imagine it being dwarfed or ill-fitting as the body dimensions are identical to it's 14F GC or GA counterpart.  So are we talking about, what, maybe 1.5" or so shorter in neck length?  Does that make the neck/headstock sit weird in the case?  I'd be curious to see a pic if anyone's willing to snap a shot...

Edward
if it's a GA, the 12 string headstock is 7/8" longer than the 6 string, figure in the difference in scale length
(24 7/8" vs 25 1/2") & seeing that the case headstock "pocket" has to accommodate all configurations,
the difference, with the correct  case, is probably  about 1 1/2" or so, if it's 7/8" one way & 7/8" the other

i'm not sure what the difference in overall length between this case & the Taylor, but if the guitar
is a GC (still unsure if it's a GC or GA), then this might  have a slightly shorter length headstock pocket
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/silver-creek-vintage-archtop-000-auditorium-acoustic-guitar-case
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

TaylorMate

• Bard since the Sixties
    • Blogboek
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 02:47:09 PM »

Edward

Here you are, Edward. Pics of my 512 in its case and my 812 in the same case. Clearly more 'headroom' for my 512, but I don't mind.

Lyrics and music: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6gaSzHsXOYq-j_eQH6IwsW_K0S3CHfbk

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 03:12:16 PM »
Gary, here's  a crazy idea.  Does the Taylor GC 12 fret fit acceptably into your more portable Martin case?  Seems like that would solve the problem.  But the risk is that you think you are grabbing the Martin and actually bring the Taylor.    :D
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2014, 03:27:58 PM »
Hi Karel,

OK, I see what you mean about the gap.  Visually, may be a bit offsetting.  But if you build in, say, 1" of space cushion at the top in a 12F-specific case, what you'd gaining in "portability" is still pretty modest, I think.  I can only guess Taylor's decision was purely an economic one, that tooling for an new case with such modest gains was not deemed worthwhile. 
Thanks for the  pic ...that sure was fast!  :)

Edward

Gary-N-LA

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2014, 05:44:31 PM »
Gary, here's  a crazy idea.  Does the Taylor GC 12 fret fit acceptably into your more portable Martin case?  Seems like that would solve the problem.  But the risk is that you think you are grabbing the Martin and actually bring the Taylor.    :D

That's what I thought, too, Earl, but the Taylor doesn't fit.  Its shoulders are too wide - significantly wider than the 00.  The Martin 00 is also longer.  Totally different shape.

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2014, 11:00:17 AM »
Actually, I like having the extra space. I use a CooperStand which fits very nicely under the headstock in the case. Wouldn't be able to do that if the headstock space was shorter. Frees up my other hand when I'm carrying gear around.
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

Gutch

• Veteran Member
    • www.davegutshall.com
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 11:29:31 AM »
I don't see it as a big deal at all.  I roll up my strap and drop it into the gap.  Close up the case, we're done in a snap!!!
‎"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
-- Plato

TaylorMate

• Bard since the Sixties
    • Blogboek
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 12:00:00 PM »
I don't see it as a big deal at all.  I roll up my strap and drop it into the gap.  Close up the case, we're done in a snap!!!

Hear, hear!