Author Topic: NGD - 514e Eurospruce over Flamed Mahogany Fall Ltd.  (Read 8768 times)

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
Re: NGD - 514e Eurospruce over Flamed Mahogany Fall Ltd.
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2014, 04:00:22 PM »
Congrats from a fellow 2013 FLTD 514e owner - one of the best series Taylor has done in recent memory IMHO....

It is quite nice but you have a Cujo.  Those were special.

They were and are, but I wouldn't call 1997 recent....I've really had fun playing this FLTD  - fit and finish has an R. Taylor feel to it! Enjoy!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2014, 07:12:48 PM »
At the last RoadShow I had attended (hmmm, maybe 6-10 months ago??), I was completely unimpressed by all the Taylors on the floor.  No, don't get me wrong, all were perfectly fine instruments ...it's just that I have the very good fortune of owning some splendid Taylors, and none at the RS that night got my gears working at all; zero GAS.  Except for the 514/6 (I honestly can't remember which).  I recall that this guitar had that "cedar warmth" and "forward mids" that gets my attention.  That they pack these LTDs with so much goodies (adi braced and gotoh 510s are my favorite upgrades) makes them serious value leaders.

FWIW, I ended up finding a 2013 616SpringLtd that is a close cousin to the 514/16 FLTD except I have macassar instead of the flamed mahog.  Wow!  Different voicing, to be sure, but still serious "wow factor" (never having played macassar ...wow).  I cannot help but think how much the combination of euro spruce with adi bracing does for these 2013 LTDs voices.  And the antique-gold gotohs are icing on a superlative guitar.  Both the Fall and Spring 2013 are some of my personal favorites of all the LTDs for me.  Congrats!!

Edward

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2014, 07:18:48 PM »
Very nice....I like everything about it. Congratulations.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

wooglins

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2014, 09:48:24 PM »
At the last RoadShow I had attended (hmmm, maybe 6-10 months ago??), I was completely unimpressed by all the Taylors on the floor.  No, don't get me wrong, all were perfectly fine instruments ...it's just that I have the very good fortune of owning some splendid Taylors, and none at the RS that night got my gears working at all; zero GAS.  Except for the 514/6 (I honestly can't remember which).  I recall that this guitar had that "cedar warmth" and "forward mids" that gets my attention.  That they pack these LTDs with so much goodies (adi braced and gotoh 510s are my favorite upgrades) makes them serious value leaders.

FWIW, I ended up finding a 2013 616SpringLtd that is a close cousin to the 514/16 FLTD except I have macassar instead of the flamed mahog.  Wow!  Different voicing, to be sure, but still serious "wow factor" (never having played macassar ...wow).  I cannot help but think how much the combination of euro spruce with adi bracing does for these 2013 LTDs voices.  And the antique-gold gotohs are icing on a superlative guitar.  Both the Fall and Spring 2013 are some of my personal favorites of all the LTDs for me.  Congrats!!

Edward

The 61x spring limited were also amazing.  I like the Ivoroid is really a nice touch mixed with the Koa.

raa2173

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2014, 09:52:41 PM »

Edward

Hi Edward,

The 616 spring Ltd looks like a superb guitar. Can you tell us how does the ebony back and sides compare with other tone woods? I understand that it is a very dense and heavy wood. I have a couple of asian ebony furniture at home and simply moving them can be a killer, haha. Does it sound closer to indian or cocobolo rosewood, walnut or mahogany? Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 09:55:32 PM by raa2173 »
2014 Taylor BTO All-Koa GC - "Blackacre"
2014 Taylor 312CE - "Barnie"

wooglins

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2014, 10:59:16 PM »

Edward

Hi Edward,

The 616 spring Ltd looks like a superb guitar. Can you tell us how does the ebony back and sides compare with other tone woods? I understand that it is a very dense and heavy wood. I have a couple of asian ebony furniture at home and simply moving them can be a killer, haha. Does it sound closer to indian or cocobolo rosewood, walnut or mahogany? Thanks!

Macassar Ebony can be similar to the denser rosewoods.  I have tried a few guitars with it and have liked them a lot.  They were similar in tone to the Cocobolo BTO I just sold.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2014, 11:44:31 AM »
Well let me say it this way, I've owned three different rw/sitka guits (in diff body styles) trying to like this "standard."  Fail.  Perfect example where one should follow the tone in one's head and not what the market (ahem, or the blogosphere!!!) points to as "the one."  Fine guits, to be sure, but over time, all three have seen their way out the door as they simply were not me.

That said, I've played coco (never owned one) and do like it quite a bit!  I've had only cursory exposure to walnut ...just not enough of them out there to try, but I don't "think" walnut has enough oomph for me and thus not been sufficiently impressed by walnut to make me want to try another.  And as I had mentioned, never even tried a macassar so I was rolling dice on my '13 616 SLtd.  All of which to say offering "comparisons" is going to be very much flawed by time in between and the vagaries of my aging memory :)

Ok, enough disclaimers: yeah, the macassar sounds like rw, lol.  But it seems deeper and "tighter" on my 616 as opposed to other rw guits I've owned and tried.  So yes, the bass is big, but never flubby or overbearing; kind of like a focused, really good bass-guitar tone.  My guess (and it really is just that) is the combination of CV method and the adirondack braces along with the macassar.  Now this tonal "depth" can be a real deal killer for me were it not for the euro spruce: yeah, there's the other factor, the trifecta that makes it, I suppose.  You can definitely/immediately hear the softer attack and less jangle as opposed to sitka.  Trebles are still crisp and well defined, so notes have this clear "outline" around them, even the bass notes, but that signature sitka brightness seems to have been EQd out.  And there is more midrange presence than sitka; mids are where the meat of the voice is, IMHO.  So for this lover of cedar (now you know where my bias is), the euro spruce (and engel which I love on my style-2, a GC body), is right up my tonal alley. 

In terms of aesthetic appointments, the 2013 fall and spring LTDs are truly comparable, and also to say, beautiful.  And I know this may sound silly to some, but the gotoh 510s are a significant part of the package as I feel these are notably mechanically superior to the stock tuners.  Yet tone is where it's at, and no "features" or aesthetics can ever trump tone.  Which is why I love both these '13 LTDs.  I initially wanted to find the 5-series because of the mahogany, but eventually realized that was really too tonally similar to what I already have.  Thus, this 6-series LTD was dead-on for me: not just a "contrast," but a contrast that still works within my tonal desires.  It really is the proverbial cannon, but all the while maintaining a focused and defined bottom end, with crisp highs sans jangle, and decent midrange.  OK, that last point: I'd personally like more mids.  I love this guit for all the aforementioned reasons, but am still experimenting with different string choices to push/pull the tone a hair more.  But that's all fine tuning: this 616 is a staying.  Hope that helps you a bit.  :D

Edward
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 11:47:31 AM by Edward »

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2014, 05:43:48 PM »
the majority of spruce/rosewood i auditioned early on seemed to
have too much midrange compression, the low end resonance was
"meh" & the trebles lacked articulation & shimmer, for my tastes -
fast-forward 10 years, give or take, & i found some examples
of older models, square shoulder dreadnoughts, one with
straight bracing from lemon grove, a couple from santee
with non-forward shifted scalloped x bracing, an original
shape grand concert with deep body & a standard II adi/braz X10
(which still counts as being spruce/rosewood, doesn't it ;) ) &
those have provided the depth, projection, definition & clarity
i was wanting to hear, so for me it's partially older models,
my ear being a bit more discerning & my tonal preferences changing

spruce & mahogany have been more of a main-stay earlier on & the models
that make up my arsenal is about the same, in terms of "era", body shapes &
bracing patterns, save for one made within the past 10 years or so

macassar & african ebony interest me because i'm thinking they
might sound a bit like ziricote, but with more depth, focus,
directness, with some pseudo tube-amp style "warm" thrown in -
i don't know if a darker top like redwood would be a little
too "luxurious", especially with a big body, but with an adi top
on a deep body dreadnought or GO, adi AP bracing & 3.5 finish ... hmm :-\
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2014, 07:50:48 PM »

How about redwood over ebony on a GA body? I keep going back and forth between redwood or Adi for my next (ebony-backed) BTO....
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2014, 08:06:09 PM »

How about redwood over ebony on a GA body? I keep going back and forth between redwood or Adi for my next (ebony-backed) BTO....
that combination (redwood/ebony) is what i was figuring
might be kind of "iffy" to me, in a larger body size -
if it were a 12 fret GA, i think it might be pretty nice (this is cedar)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxNwUHGW7oU
or a 12 fret GC, as Taylor has done cedar/macassar GC LTDs in the past
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oql8yP8bcKA

i have a redwood/ziricote GA now & i'm not looking for any more darkness or focus
than that guitar already offers, but maybe a wide grain cedar top with adi bracing
or an adi top with adi bracing on a big 'un (a GO depth GA could be 8) ) ... yeah, maybe

i see GO bracing listed in the Custom options sheet & unlike 12 fret or 12 string bracing
(the bracing on the 14 856ce was not changed one iota from the 13 model, which i found interesting),
i wonder if it is possible to order that bracing pattern on other steel 6 string body shapes or if it is
exclusive to the GO & one will just have to wait until AP bracing makes it to the Custom menu :-\
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

wooglins

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2014, 09:06:16 PM »
Here are some teaser photo's till I can take higher quality photo's:

Front (it was really muggy outside so there is a very light coat of condensation on the guitar, especially the fretboard)

Neck & Headstock

Headstock
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 09:13:53 PM by wooglins »

raa2173

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2014, 11:32:15 PM »
I love the truss rod cover and the bridge pins! Are those Bob Colosi bridge pins btw?
2014 Taylor BTO All-Koa GC - "Blackacre"
2014 Taylor 312CE - "Barnie"

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2014, 12:01:48 AM »
The TRC match the color of the fret markers and Taylor logo nicely.  Looks real sharp wooglins.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2014, 12:50:13 AM »
 Instant GAS. 8)
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

wooglins

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2014, 03:47:04 AM »
I love the truss rod cover and the bridge pins! Are those Bob Colosi bridge pins btw?

Thanks.

Yes those are Mr. Colosi's dyed bone pin's.  I like the dyed bone pins a lot.