Author Topic: NGD! 514ce Cedar top with ES2!  (Read 6073 times)

guitarsrsoawesome

• Veteran Member
Re: NGD! 514ce Cedar top with ES2!
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2014, 09:38:02 AM »
And thank so much for the kind words from all of you...lots of hog/cedar fans here and I noticed several 512's (taylorgirl and john) which I know must so completely responsive to finger style! 

And RAA's comment about the fretboard being consistently black, I almost like the idea of having some of those streaks, but you're right, this one is solid.  There's a little light streaking in the headstock veneer though which I really like.  Almost smokey looking. 

And michaelw is right, it's a late year 2013 (I think november), so it got the ES2 but there were still 80/20 strings rather than the pb's they're now putting on the 2014's...but as stated, I went straight to my beloved FX strings...
November 2013 Taylor 514ce ES2
November 2011 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2014, 12:53:19 PM »
Congrats! I'm a mahoganut as well. Just seems to go with singing.
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

John

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2014, 05:57:28 PM »
And thank so much for the kind words from all of you...lots of hog/cedar fans here and I noticed several 512's (taylorgirl and john) which I know must so completely responsive to finger style! 

And RAA's comment about the fretboard being consistently black, I almost like the idea of having some of those streaks, but you're right, this one is solid.  There's a little light streaking in the headstock veneer though which I really like.  Almost smokey looking. 

And michaelw is right, it's a late year 2013 (I think november), so it got the ES2 but there were still 80/20 strings rather than the pb's they're now putting on the 2014's...but as stated, I went straight to my beloved FX strings...
Yes I play 90% finger style with 100% satisfaction.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 01:37:54 PM by John »
2013 Taylor 512ce 12 fret
Takamine 132sc - Classical
Fender Strat

guitarsrsoawesome

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2014, 09:00:03 AM »
Congrats! I'm a mahoganut as well. Just seems to go with singing.

I completely agree with that...played two mini gigs last night, a country club first then went to an open mic, and felt very confident with it while singing! I was a little distracted because I kept thinking, "man, this thing sounds good!" Ha!

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2014, 11:38:47 AM »
mahoganut

That sounds like the seed that mahogany trees grow from......   :D
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2014, 11:45:42 AM »
Actually, vintage mahogany guitars have been known to, all of a sudden, develop little round mahoganuts rolling around inside the box.

If you are ever able to get them out thru the soundhole they are very tasty.   ???
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2014, 05:26:53 PM »
Congrats on a great acquisition - while many consider the 814 to be Taylor's iconic model, I (being more of a hog fan) would assign that honor to the 514. I think that Taylor put the cedar/mahogany combination on the steel string guitar map as a very refreshing alternative. I've loved every 514 I have ever played.

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 02:12:39 PM by Strumming Fool »
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2014, 06:28:36 PM »
Congrats on a great acquisition - while many consider the 814 to be Taylor's iconic model, I (being more of a hog fan) would assign that honor to the 514. I think that Taylor put the cedar/mahogany combination on the steel string guitar map as a very refreshing alternative. I've loved every 514 I have every played.

Enjoy!

SF you speak my language.  Sure the 814 is the "flagship guitar" of  Taylor, but Bob has been quoted as saying that the Mahogany 514 and the rosewood 814 are the quintessential Taylor guitars
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2014, 06:44:17 PM »
Actually, vintage mahogany guitars have been known to, all of a sudden, develop little round mahoganuts rolling around inside the box.

If you are ever able to get them out thru the soundhole they are very tasty.   ???
would those be mahoganut holes ???
sounds mahoganutty good ;)

a few more mahoganuts - it must've took a whole herd of them to build that piano :)
https://www.facebook.com/MahoganutWoodCraft
http://woodyhats.webs.com/aboutus.htm
http://www.chicagopianos.com/081412_update/hailun.html
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2014, 07:17:12 PM »
Mahogany guitars will rule the guitar world in the near future.  Mahoganuts are the seeds that will sprout the future.  :o
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

scusu

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2014, 08:29:19 AM »
Congrats!!!!
I have to say when I started out my quest for a new acoustic last year the 814 and the 514 were my favorites. I went with a custom GA rosewood but I am very tempted to add a hog. I recently tried a 516 engelman which sounded really nice but the cedar/hog has such a unique tonal character. I also like the light weight of mahogany - adds to the comfort for an old guy with aches and pains.
Steve

2014 K26e
2013 Taylor BTO GA EIR/SIT
1980 Sigma DR-28
Fishman Loudbox Mini

guitarsrsoawesome

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2014, 10:11:26 AM »
Congrats!!!!
I have to say when I started out my quest for a new acoustic last year the 814 and the 514 were my favorites. I went with a custom GA rosewood but I am very tempted to add a hog. I recently tried a 516 engelman which sounded really nice but the cedar/hog has such a unique tonal character. I also like the light weight of mahogany - adds to the comfort for an old guy with aches and pains.

Thanks, scusu, yeah, i was surprised how much the cedar/hog combo grabbed me.  Someone who heard me play it Tuesday said that the little runs I do within a chord while strumming were way clearer to him.  He had heard me play my GS8 (rosewood, spruce) and I'm guessing the overtones of the rosewood kind of took away from the clarity of the single notes I was going for within the chord.  And it's definitely way responsive to finger style, which makes up about half of what I do, so for me, at this point (ha!), this combination is perfect.  As for the weight of the guitar, I like how hog is lighter, though this one is no where near as light as my all hog martin 000.  That thing practically floats it's so light!