Author Topic: Taylor survey  (Read 6940 times)

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Taylor survey
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2014, 06:41:35 PM »
Turning W & S into a paid publication would amount to Taylor shooting themselves in the foot.  The most passionate purchasers of upscale Taylor guitars are existing owners;  I for one would not bother with a paid subscription to Wood and Steel, especially with Acoustic Guitar magazine and the Fretboard Journal arriving at my door.
other companies charges for certain "privileges"
http://www.martinguitar.com/about-martin/owners-club.html
why shouldn't Taylor be any different ???

I think that if Martin is doing it that is reason enough to run the other direction.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

stepchildusmc

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2014, 08:26:23 PM »
i took the survey. i won't redeem the 15%. if my input helps make a better product, so much the better for me. the questions were a little odd i think. i register my brand new ones but not the used ones. i can't think of a good reason why anyone would NOT want to register a new 3K instrument. an incentive shouldn't be necessary. on a side note, the 324 i ordered did come with an extra set of Elixir strings.
 a paperless wood & steel wouldn't be the end of the world but i do enjoy the " real" magazine i get in the mail.
Steppy
2008 NAMM Hot Rod(GA)
2013 spring ltd. 616 ce
2013 616 ce(honeyburst)
2011 Adamas 2080Sr
2014 324
2014 GS mini Hog
2013 GS mini Spruce
2014 GS mini Engelmann (HV)
only thing lacking is the talent !

MB

• Veteran Member
  • It's a journey...
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2014, 09:51:35 AM »
I took the survey a while back and remember trying to use the 15% on a glass or coffee cup and was denied.
It was only valid for a few specific items. I was a bit put off but don't really care that much. The guitars are great and that's all that really matters to me at the end of the day.

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2014, 01:18:06 PM »
imho, there is something "tactile" about a hardcopy, being able to see the entire page at one time, actually
flipping through pages & comparing information from 2 different issues at the same time is much easier -
i've seen on-line articles for some the fox body mustang publications i follow (there's really only 2 left) &
i much prefer the hard copy to be able "get to it", not to mention it's much easier to read in direct sunlight

if it comes down to a paid option, rather than having W&S be digital-only, i hope that option is made available -
to me, it seems pretty viable to offer a small package of swag for a membership & that at least some of the expense
of printing & postage might be able to be recouped in doing so, as with other periodicals one is paying for advertising
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2014, 11:50:36 PM »
Agreed, I like being able to flip they back copies and the high quality photos are fantastic....but, the last few issues they haven't adjusted for the fold in the photo, maybe they want it that way....?   Seems tho that they will go the digital way, it's inevitable I suppose with the way costs are creeping up.

I was just at the bookstore today and picked up a couple of books.  I have an iPad but find it hard to read so when I travel or am in a waiting room or such I like hard copy.

I haven't even received the last few issues, I had to go by my FLGS and I got the most recent one when I called to order the HV GSM.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 11:52:11 PM by BigSkyTaylorPlayer »

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2014, 01:13:31 AM »
 I took the survey, but passed on the 15% discount. Rather strange survey. I hope the marketing department is kept on a short leash if this is some beta test survey. "Clueless" comes to mind.
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

M19

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2014, 06:39:55 AM »
No survey yet, here (Two Taylors).

It's likely that the terminology of 2 free years simply means that after two years you stop getting it.
Marty B.
Multi-Brand Owner

Gutch

• Veteran Member
    • www.davegutshall.com
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2014, 09:30:27 AM »
No survey here, either (currently 9 Taylors). 

A digital version of W&S would be fine with me.  Email me a link or build a W&S app for my iPad.  Saves wood used for paper, soy used for ink, energy to print and fuel to deliver. I don't consider myself a registered tree hugger, but a common sense approach to conservation via technology utilization is both smart and savvy.  It allows Taylor to "spread the gospel" much faster to a lot more people around the world.  You have to remember that Wood & Steel is first and foremost a marketing tool - A mechanism to inform, excite and motivate customers to buy.  Going all electronic and then promoting that fact at every road show and Find Your Fit event is an excellent way to build your customer database quick & easy.
‎"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
-- Plato

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2014, 09:35:12 AM »
No survey here, either (currently 9 Taylors). 

A digital version of W&S would be fine with me.  Email me a link or build a W&S app for my iPad.  Saves wood used for paper, soy used for ink, energy to print and fuel to deliver. I don't consider myself a registered tree hugger, but a common sense approach to conservation via technology utilization is both smart and savvy.  It allows Taylor to "spread the gospel" much faster to a lot more people around the world.  You have to remember that Wood & Steel is first and foremost a marketing tool - A mechanism to inform, excite and motivate customers to buy.  Going all electronic and then promoting that fact at every road show and Find Your Fit event is an excellent way to build your customer database quick & easy.

Nicely said.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2014, 10:17:10 AM »
I would much prefer to have that W & S in my hands in full size.  I like turning the pages I like having the full page to read and I don't like scrolling.  I also like to see a entire picture, and again I don't like scrolling to see the full picture, or down sizing to get a full page.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

BathTimeStrummer

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2014, 11:15:55 AM »
As a younger dude, who grew up with the internet, and reads many, many books on a kindle... I also want a paper version. So much of what is great about W&S are the pictures--big, full-size, high quality. Hard to convey that digitally on a small screen. Plus, the stack of them that sits in every decent music store attracts new buyers. That would be hard to replace, especially with the older crowds--no offense intended.
2014 T5z Custom (Koa)
2013 316ce (Sitka/Sapele)
2014 Holden Village GS Mini (Engelmann/Maple)
1998 Fender DG-7

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2014, 04:22:43 PM »
As a younger dude, who grew up with the internet, and reads many, many books on a kindle... I also want a paper version. So much of what is great about W&S are the pictures--big, full-size, high quality. Hard to convey that digitally on a small screen. Plus, the stack of them that sits in every decent music store attracts new buyers. That would be hard to replace, especially with the older crowds--no offense intended.

I whole heatedly agree BathTime.  I have a iPad but I would prefer to have that W & S in my hands.  and not put more people out of a job.

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2014, 06:53:12 PM »
I didn't receive an email. I can understand if Wood & Steel were to switch to a digital only publication. Bob is known for taking a stance when it comes to environmental issues so I could see him making it available as solely digital especially if it would help save some trees.
Cindy

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2014, 07:18:33 PM »
I did receive the email, but waited about three days to respond.  Now the link no longer works, so maybe they closed the survey?

While I do have an iPad, I still prefer to have most magazines in paper form.  Not a great idea to read the iPad while soaking in the hot tub after a workout.

As I get older and my eyesight is worsening, the iPad is advantageous, as I can enlarge the font size for easier reading.  But I still prefer paper.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 11:11:36 AM by Earl »
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

shorty

• Veteran Member
  • I love guitars way too much!
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2014, 07:48:55 PM »
I also took the survey. I tried to steer towards paper copies of W&S... I love the print editions...can't begin to tell you folks how many times I have dug them out as a reference!!! Love to reread them as I also find many things I previously missed!! :)
2014 Taylor 614ce Florentine/Blackcherryburst
2013 Benedetto Bambino Deluxe
2012Taylor BTO GS Macassar/Redwood
2012 Martin GPCPA4
2011 Taylor Fall Ltd GS Cocobolo
2011 Taylor Fall Ltd GC 12 Fret Koa
2009 Taylor 814ce TSB
2008 Taylor 654ce
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GA Koa
2005 Takamine EAN10ce