Author Topic: GS6  (Read 3151 times)

a1terrier

GS6
« on: April 24, 2014, 03:30:15 PM »
Hi All

Just seen a GS6 for sale on internet but Taylor website says that model is discontinued, shame if it plays half as good as it looks
it would be stunning. Am I correct in thinking that the current equivalent would be a 616E

Thanks
214CE Koa Dlx

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: GS6
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 03:49:01 PM »
There will be some differences from the GS6 to the 616e.
The GS6 will be less adorned than the 616e.  The GS6 will have dot fret board markers, the 616e has Twisted Ovals.  No ES on the GS6, the 616e has Expression System 2.  Neither have a cut a way.

Both will sound excellent, and probably sound the same.  I think that there are some other difference and hopefully those that have more information will chime in on the subject
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

a1terrier

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 04:10:59 PM »
Thanks for reply. Looked at 616 on Taylor site but they all seem to be maple back and sides, the one I saw was def darker wood.
Very nice looking guitar- shame its discontinued
214CE Koa Dlx

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 05:31:08 PM »
I doubt it was "discontinued" due to a lack of quality or desirability.  A few years ago Taylor felt like they had become the "cutaway / electric" guitar maker, and split their line into the acoustic-electric (x12ce, x14ce, x10ce, x16ce) series and the pure acoustic (GC-x, GA-x, DN-x, GS-x) series.  The acoustic series usually did not have cutaways, and sometimes no electronics (not everyone wants a "ce" model).  The division appears to have diluted the brand a bit and confused things, making more model numbers for dealers to stock.  Ending the pure acoustic series just makes the retail end a little simpler.  You can still BTO almost anything if you object to certain features of the standard line (like cutaways or the electronics).  For example, a lot of people dislike the ES system and want to put their own choice of pickup in, so they order without the "e".

It would not surprise me at all to find minor cosmetic differences between a 616 and GS6, but the two guitars should essentially be the same.  The maple 600 series is the one that Taylor uses for different stain colors, so that may explain the darker wood that you saw.  I have seen some with a reddish brown stain -- almost mahogany colored -- on the back & sides, even though they were clearly maple bodies.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 06:22:03 PM »
Thanks for reply. Looked at 616 on Taylor site but they all seem to be maple back and sides, the one I saw was def darker wood....

By definition, the "6 series" were maple back sides, except for various year's "Limiteds."  The 2013 Spring Ltd, for example, had dark b/s of African Ebony, then of Macassar.  Barring these "ltd-edition" guits, every 6xx will be maple.  Earl is right on about the maple line taking on much of the burst or stained fins, so perhaps that explains what you saw??
But as of late (these last few years, off the top of my head), it does in fact appear that Taylor has pulled back on their maple production, just as they have all but eliminated their cedar line.   So if looking to buy a maple, it may be easier to find one of previous years than from the current crop.

Edward
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 06:26:35 PM by Edward »

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 06:44:27 PM »
Thanks for reply. Looked at 616 on Taylor site but they all seem to be maple back and sides, the one I saw was def darker wood.
Very nice looking guitar- shame its discontinued

What you saw could be a GS6.  They come in all colors.  Light, Dark, or with long legs.  Ok, so maybe 600 series does not come with legs, just the Koa.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 06:48:43 PM by mgap »
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

TaylorMan1

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 10:30:00 PM »
Hi I just got a GS 5, Taylor just renamed it to the 516 / the GS 5 is a great sounding guitar.  I like the wood comb. rich and warm. It has the 2007 system in it.

Carl
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 10:38:10 PM by TaylorMan1 »

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 08:16:30 AM »
Hi I just got a GS 5, Taylor just renamed it to the 516 / the GS 5 is a great sounding guitar.  I like the wood comb. rich and warm. It has the 2007 system in it.

Carl
Hi Taylorman1, welcome to the forum.  The GS5 is a excellent choice.  I am a fan of Mahogany.

krugjr

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 02:37:57 PM »
TaylorMan.....just wonderin', what top does your GS5 have? after playing sapele, ovangkol and rosewood, I too have been drawn to the sound of mahogany....I play mostly GAs now....every body size also has it's own sound to go along with the wood choices........so much fun!
Music.....the Universal Language!

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

TaylorMan1

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 02:20:36 PM »
TaylorMan.....just wonderin', what top does your GS5 have? after playing sapele, ovangkol and rosewood, I too have been drawn to the sound of mahogany....I play mostly GAs now....every body size also has it's own sound to go along with the wood choices........so much fun!

I have Cedar on the top and ebony on the tuners and bone in the saddle and the nut. The bone I chose is a little bit earthtone color kind of a light brown to match the Cedar top.

Carl