Author Topic: Koa's tone for a 12 string?  (Read 2229 times)

Wave Rider

Koa's tone for a 12 string?
« on: April 18, 2014, 10:17:11 PM »
I just finished reading the wonderful detailed responses to Leftyb's question about koa's tone. It would be great to get some feedback from those of you who have been able to play koa 12 strings. I'm curious as to the tone, which guitar body shape you have experience with, and whether the guitars had spruce or koa tops. Thanks!
Wave Rider

Taylor 812e
Taylor GS Mini, all hog
Guild D4 Spruce/Mahogany

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
Re: Koa's tone for a 12 string?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 12:19:27 AM »
Hi waverider,  I have an all koa 12 and love it!  When I got it I was able to compare it with a 656 and I found the maple to be very jangly, much more so than the koa.

I have the gs body and it is really loud.  Sadly, I don't play it much since I have taken up the mandolin but this thread is going to make me get it out this weekend and give in some TLC.

Cigarfan was able to play it a few months ago and he really liked it as we'll.  IMHO, you can't go wrong with koa.  I play mostly bluegrass tunes and it does just fine.

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 04:10:13 PM »
I also have an all-Koa, Grand Symphony 12-string (the K66ce), and am very happy with it.  Compared to my Sitka/Maple 656ce, I'd say they're similar in overall tonal range, but I would agree with "BigSkyTaylorPlayer" that the 656ce is much brighter-sounding (some refer to it as "jangly").  I guess the best way I've found to describe it is that the K66ce is a mellow-sounding 656ce.

When I was shopping for a Koa-bodied 12-string, I had initially intended to get the Sitka-topped version (the K56ce).  But it was recommended to me that the K66ce would be the better guitar to purchase, perhaps based on the relative popularity of the two models.  When I inquired what the primary tonal difference between the K56ce and K66ce was, I was told that the K56ce would essentially be somewhat louder in volume, but not too different in tone.  Never having had a chance to compare them, I can't say if what I was told was correct, though.  Anyway, I followed the advice I was provided, purchased a K66ce, and haven't regretted it at all.
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 04:38:21 PM »
Wow timfitz63 you have both you lucky thing you!  I really wanted the maple because I love the way it looked but the K66 was the one I picked.  And....koa never looks bad now does it.....

I love the maple but can just never get past the brightness of it.  I got  the HV Mini to satisfy my maple GAS.....

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 04:53:57 PM »
Wow timfitz63 you have both you lucky thing you!  I really wanted the maple because I love the way it looked but the K66 was the one I picked.  And....koa never looks bad now does it.....

I love the maple but can just never get past the brightness of it.  I got  the HV Mini to satisfy my maple GAS.....

Yeah, I'll be the first to admit I've been fortunate in being able to purchase the guitars I have.  I also like the look of both woods.  Maple has a compelling look to it, but Koa always seems to be unique from guitar to guitar.

The 656ce is definitely 'brighter' -- but I actually like the brightness of Maple.  In fact, the 656ce was the first 12-string I bought.
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 08:20:11 PM »
... When I inquired what the primary tonal difference between the K56ce and K66ce was, I was told that the K56ce would essentially be somewhat louder in volume, but not too different in tone...
many, but not all, players will hear a distinct difference between a hardwood top (mahogany, koa, walnut), compared
to a model with the same back & sides, but with a spruce or cedar top, so my guess would be the information came
from a source that did not happen to have a K56ce in stock at the time, or the only tonal difference perceived was
overall volume & not projection, individual note definition, or overall dynamic response with varying degrees of attack -
it could happen, but when i compare spruce & cedar top koa guitars vs all koa,
to my ear there's quite a bit more going on than just a difference in volume

i'm just wondering how a K66 would sound with adi AP bracing, or a modified GO pattern
with taller braces that would be able to support the tension of a 12 string set on a K68 ...
or, maybe a custom deep body DN all koa 12'er with adi CV

hmmm :-\
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 11:54:31 PM »
... When I inquired what the primary tonal difference between the K56ce and K66ce was, I was told that the K56ce would essentially be somewhat louder in volume, but not too different in tone...
many, but not all, players will hear a distinct difference between a hardwood top (mahogany, koa, walnut), compared
to a model with the same back & sides, but with a spruce or cedar top, so my guess would be the information came
from a source that did not happen to have a K56ce in stock at the time, or the only tonal difference perceived was
overall volume & not projection, individual note definition, or overall dynamic response with varying degrees of attack -
it could happen, but when i compare spruce & cedar top koa guitars vs all koa,
to my ear there's quite a bit more going on than just a difference in volume...

Frankly, I was a bit skeptical when I was told there was little difference in tone between a K56ce and a K66ce; I figured Taylor didn't put the different tops on their Koa line purely for aesthetic or cosmetic reasons...  But having spent zero quality time with either guitar at that point, I deferred to the apparent expertise that I was being offered.  It's all good, though; I'm happy with my K66ce.  If I get the chance someday to test drive a K56ce, I'll get to answer my own question at that point, I suppose...

And your basic guess is correct:  the store at which I was told that information had neither guitar (K56ce or K66ce) in stock at the time -- but I suspect favored carrying the all-Koa guitars...

... i'm just wondering how a K66 would sound with adi AP bracing, or a modified GO pattern
with taller braces that would be able to support the tension of a 12 string set on a K68 ...
or, maybe a custom deep body DN all koa 12'er with adi CV

hmmm :-\

Probably louder...  ;)

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 12:06:42 PM »
The only koa 12 string that I have played was a K65 (all-koa jumbo), and I was comparing it to a W65 (all-walnut jumbo) at the time. I ended up purchasing the W65, but in retrospect, I wish I had chosen the K65 for its tone, which as I recall, was a bit brighter than the walnut-topped W-65.  I ended up selling the W-65,  because I felt that its tone was too much of the antithesis of "jangly", whereas the K65 probably would have been just right for me. (Older and hopefully wiser these days...)
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 02:01:39 PM »
A Koa 12 string is high on my Taylor wish list. I've played sitka-topped examples at roadshows and was greatly impressed both with the balanced rich tone and ease of play.  I currently play a Breedlove hog lam 12, which has a bright jangly tone (think the Byrds) whereas the Taylor Koa 12 has a lot more depth and projection. I'm not particularly fond of the sapele-bodied 12's, but have played some nice 600 series 12's.

GS body would appeal to me most.
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge