Author Topic: Lithium 9v lifespan worth the extra cash?  (Read 954 times)

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Lithium 9v lifespan worth the extra cash?
« on: March 24, 2014, 09:14:18 PM »
Hey all,

This is only for you folks who have a non-ES guitar with a battery holder you reach through the soundhole:  have you tried a lithium 9v?  Have you noticed a real improvement in lifespan that justifies the higher cost? 

FWIW, my play-out acoustic is an ES and I always swap the batt as a matter of "insurance" so batt life is of no concern whatsoever.  But I am speaking really of that non-ES guitar that does not get played out often.  So while I don't have to change batts often, I still dislike having to loosen all the strings then wrangle my hand in to check/swap the batt.  What's your experience been on the lithium's longevity?  Thanks!

Edward

stepchildusmc

• Veteran Member
Re: Lithium 9v lifespan worth the extra cash?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 09:21:49 PM »
So while I don't have to change batts often, I still dislike having to loosen all the strings then wrangle my hand in to check/swap the batt.
i guess that answers itself.
that'd stink if you had to do it on your 15.
Steppy
2008 NAMM Hot Rod(GA)
2013 spring ltd. 616 ce
2013 616 ce(honeyburst)
2011 Adamas 2080Sr
2014 324
2014 GS mini Hog
2013 GS mini Spruce
2014 GS mini Engelmann (HV)
only thing lacking is the talent !

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 11:27:45 PM »
Yeah, well... nevermind.  :)
I just did some web sleuthing and found that lithium batts are higher nominal voltage than alkalines, some on the order of 10.4v (or so I had read).  I have no idea if that would affect the onboard pramp at all ...likely not, but I'd just assume avoid the chance it did something awry.  I guess I'll just stick to the ol alkaline and simply be fastidious about unplugging the cable.  Not too big a deal in the big scheme of things.  Rock on, folks! :D

Edward

TaylorMate

• Bard since the Sixties
    • Blogboek
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 06:15:34 AM »
I know it's not an answer to you question, Edward, but - and this for other readers of this thread - the wrestle and wrangle you describe is precisely why I have chosen to install passive transducers. You might never get the perfect amplification for your acoustic guitar, but my K&K Pure Mini's do a great job. And given the signal these passive K&K transducers give I wonder what you need more. Okay, you don't have your sound regulation 'on board', but at least in my case I always have it at armth length.
If you dig it, do it; if you dig it a lot, do it twice (Jim Croce)

Lyrics and music: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6gaSzHsXOYq-j_eQH6IwsW_K0S3CHfbk