Author Topic: So what was significant about your first Taylor?  (Read 14399 times)

ataylor

• Veteran Member
    • I'm recording an album -- check it out on Kickstarter!
Re: So what was significant about your first Taylor?
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2014, 01:41:43 AM »
Taylor was the only high-end brand my local shop carried when I started learning (well, aside from the guitars the shop owner and his son would make) so they were the holy grail to me. I didn't dare play them because I was just learning but they sure looked awesome. As an aspiring designer, their catalogs and ads resonated with me as well. Not to mention they all have my last name right there on the headstock!

I figured I'd be saving for a 310 but then Taylor came out with the 200 series. By the time I had enough to get one, they'd made all the right tweaks to the 200 series (normal NT neck joint, etc) and I played several 210s alongside a 310 at the aforementioned local guitar shop. My 210 was a clear winner.

Not long after that, my 210 had some kind of weird chip between the rosette and the bottom of the fretboard which couldn't have been caused by any playing wear. The local dealer and Taylor were both stellar to work with and replaced the guitar with another that sounded as good or better.

A year or two later I found a 410 I liked at a different shop and sold my 210 to a friend to get it. The next day I realized my mistake. The shop was kind enough to take the 410 back, and my friend said he had a feeling I'd come back for my guitar but wanted one like it. He ended up with a great 310.

It's a great guitar and it punches way above its weight class -- the only Taylor I've ever played that I've liked better was a custom all-mahogany 12-fret GC. I've only done one "upgrade" to my guitar -- ebony bridge pins, which were a souvenir from my visit to the Taylor factory about four and a half years ago.

2005 Taylor 210 (sitka/sapele)

BobSol

• Too Old To Worry
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2014, 09:22:07 AM »
Couldn't agree more. I took up the guitar at sixty years of age only knowing that a quality instrument would encourage and motivate me whereas a poor one would end up in the attic. The dealer was absolutely superb in his honesty and played Martins, Yamahas, Gibsons and Taylors etc with no rush or push to one brand or another. I left saying I would give it some thought, but the 210 was the one that just sang clarity. That was Jan 2013 now I've three and couldn't be happier.
2011 Taylor GA12 FLTD KOA
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa FLTD
2014 Taylor 456CE SLTD
2012 Taylor 210
2010 Taylor 510 KOA FLTD
2006 Taylor T5 C2 KOA

freddycaster

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2014, 02:00:00 PM »

Quote from: freddycaster on March 18, 2014, 11:14:09 AM

I'll let you know tomorrow  ;D
    According to FedEX tracking a 2011 814ce should be arriving at my office before noon!!

Hi Freddycaster. Welcome to the UTGF. Congrats on what should be a recently delivered 2011 814ce. :) I don't own a 2011 814ce, but it was the first Taylor I ever had the pleasure of playing. My 314ce was the first and still my favorite Taylor. I've become a better guitar player as a result. Enjoy.   
« Last Edit: Today at 01:03:37 AM by CodeBlueEMT »

Thanks - it arrived and was in near mint condition except for a set of dead strings.
Now the search is on for a good match for it - after reading reviews I'm starting with DR Rares......we'll see.

Jimmer

• My first Taylor is a GS Mini
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2014, 04:46:55 PM »
This is fairly simple. My GSMini has inspired me at the age of 59 to play. I can not put it down. I have been to guitar shops and played many other fine guitars looking for my next. I have in fact tried to move away from Taylors to get the biggest bang for my buck. There are some darn sweet guitars out there but... none have the feel, tone & play-ability (spell check on that one) I get from Taylor. Pretty sure my next will be a 114, or 214 as I do not feel comfortable with solid woods yet. The Florida humidity scares me. That being said.. if Bill Gates said he would buy me a guitar it would be a 514. ceder & mahogany.. love it

Jim 
GSMini
214sb

flaggerphil

• Florida Space Coast
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2014, 07:19:19 PM »
The significance of my first Taylor, a 1999 310 bought used on ebay, is that it got me into Taylor guitars.  I've had many other brands, both before and after that 310, but I still find Taylors float my boat more than any other.
Phil

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

2006 R.Taylor Style 1 Redwood/Walnut
2016 Taylor 710e SS
2013 Taylor 528e
2003 Taylor 600-SPEC
2002 Taylor 510-LTD
2010 Taylor GS Mini-M
2006 Taylor T5-C Cocobolo
2015 Taylor T5z Classic
1937 A-Style Mandolin
Kala SMHT Ukulele
Kala SMHTC-E Ukulele

Redwood Tree

« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2014, 09:49:30 PM »
I began playing guitar in 1967. Until I bought my Taylor 614ce in 2007, the 3 previous guitars I owned all had laminated B & S.  The Taylor was my first all solid wood guitar, my first guitar with a four figure price tag, but most of all stimulated my entry into the worlds of guitar collecting and geekdom.  Oh yes, the great playability allowed me to become a better player.

I'm with you there brother.. My first was a 2000 LOTF 810BCE Taylor,  I was ready for a totally great first guitar. and it was! Now 38 Taylors later I'm rebuying back a GAce Ltd-C  I sold 1.4 years ago.  So make it 39 Taylors. This one will be ... The adirondack CV  braced Sitka  2008 coco. 
 I remember it as  ... " Very special "Come home now.
Tom
"So Many Taylors Not Enough Talant"

Snydermerge

« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2014, 08:27:49 PM »
Quite simply it sings and it's so dang easy to play.  It's a GA8 that I bought here on the board and I just love love love it.  Nothing else compares.
'08 Taylor GA8
PRS McCarty DGT
Martin D12X1AE
'14 Taylor T5Z
'73 Gibson Hummingbird
Rainsong H-WS1000N2

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2014, 10:27:55 PM »
I feel deprived-- virtually everyone else has a GS mini in their sig.  Required for forum membership?
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2014, 09:01:33 AM »
I feel deprived-- virtually everyone else has a GS mini in their sig.  Required for forum membership?

True Jersey true.  Your sig. list is rather paltry. Ha  :) :D ;D :o
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

stepchildusmc

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2014, 05:59:06 PM »
hmm... my first taylor is a K10ce. I HATED IT !!!  it was too bright and no matter what i did, i couldn't tone it down. i was used to my Ovations and Martin D15M.( it was a boredom purchase as i was recovering from an RPG round exploding between my feet and a bullet wound to my right shoulder...jogging was out for a few day s ! :o :o). i figured that if that's what taylors were, i'd re-sell it and be done with taylors forever.
a friend brought over his 614ce to jam with me as i was recovering. i tried that and the sound was much better than the Koa. i decided to give them another try. i found the GS bodystyle after a bit and it had that bass response that i was looking for along with the high end sparkle...the best of both worlds! you can tell from my sig, that i changed my mind about taylors( there's even a few not listed there)
Steppy
2008 NAMM Hot Rod(GA)
2013 spring ltd. 616 ce
2013 616 ce(honeyburst)
2011 Adamas 2080Sr
2014 324
2014 GS mini Hog
2013 GS mini Spruce
2014 GS mini Engelmann (HV)
only thing lacking is the talent !

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2014, 09:41:57 AM »

No, it's not required.  But, I do feel bad that you don't have one - they are a sweet little guitar.  I'll trade you even up for that Froggy Bottom, so you can feel better about yourself.  No, don't thank me - that's just the kind of guy I am.   ;)

Best wishes,
Jim
2014 Taylor 522ce 12-fret
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
2013 Rainsong Shorty SG-FLE
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

83SanDimas

« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2014, 01:28:26 PM »
Significant...

The short scale of my 912

The neck was true all winter, My martins needed more care (YMMV)

I like the sound of all my guitars, Martins and Taylors (and my Blueridge) They are different and all sound great.

83SanDimas

« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2014, 11:36:51 AM »
I posted an unfinished though...

All of my guitars sound great, just saying... But the Taylors are the most consistent.  Even as the strings get old they hold tone better than the Martin.  My martins are more impacted my dead strings.

This could all be a result of the ever changing humidity in the North East but the Taylor handles those changes better.

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2014, 12:19:47 PM »
I posted an unfinished though...

I'm going to borrow that sentence for my next book.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

basalt beach

« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2014, 07:23:59 AM »
To answer the OP question:   The TONE!....  combination of Walnut and Cedar in an 810, purchased around 6:30 pm in 1992.  I played a lot guitars in the shop and I planned only to spend only a couple hundred....the plan failed after hearing that combination!...

I recently removed the original Tusq saddle, installed a bone saddle and bone bridge pins (Bob Colosi). I then re-strung it with a set of Pyramid Western Folk (Mediums) and the tone has only gotten better!....

Bourgeois | Northwood| Rainsong OM | Voyage Air OM-2

the tragedy in life is not what you suffer, the tragedy in life is what you miss!