Author Topic: So what was significant about your first Taylor?  (Read 14401 times)

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
Re: So what was significant about your first Taylor?
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2014, 09:54:13 AM »
I bought my first Taylor in 1997 after owning many other brands including Martin, Gibson, Guild, Takamine, Ovation and many others over my 25 years of playing. I saw this one in a Tempe, AZ GC while planning a custom-built Martin. (Needless to say, I never had that Martin built.). There was simply nothing else in the store that remotely resembled this one in looks, tonewood choices and sound. It was all brand new to me back then, but the Taylor GA has since become the standard by which I measure all other guitars.

My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

joshsimpson79

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2014, 09:54:43 AM »
My first Taylor was a 2006 410ce after wanting a Taylor for a couple of years and getting one.  I SHOULD'VE saved more money and got a Taylor in the first place instead of the Takamine that I got from Guitar Center.  It just wasn't that easy to play, even after a setup.  I also wasn't impressed with its sound plugged in.

So my first Taylor was significant because it was solid woods, was easier to play and I ended up selling it for more than I bought it ;)

I grew to love other body shapes though, and sold the dreadnought. 
2022 GT Mahogany
2013 GS Mini-E Mahogany
Cordoba C5

TaylorMate

• Bard since the Sixties
    • Blogboek
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2014, 10:56:37 AM »
Same like most of you. After playing many a guitar since 1967 it was thirty years later, in 1997, that I bought my first Taylor: a 1996 714. It was a whole new and completely different experience compared to everything else before. My GA sounded (she still does!) like an organ and I couldn't stop playing anymore. The instrument gave me a genuine boost. And I do believe that the NT-neck on my newer Taylors has even driven my lust in a still higher gear.
If you dig it, do it; if you dig it a lot, do it twice (Jim Croce)

Lyrics and music: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6gaSzHsXOYq-j_eQH6IwsW_K0S3CHfbk

freddycaster

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2014, 01:14:09 PM »
I'll let you know tomorrow  ;D
According to FedEX tracking a 2011 814ce should be arriving at my office before noon!!

jrporter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2014, 08:39:38 PM »
I bought my first Taylor in 1997 after owning many other brands including Martin, Gibson, Guild, Takamine, Ovation and many others over my 25 years of playing. I saw this one in a Tempe, AZ GC while planning a custom-built Martin. (Needless to say, I never had that Martin built.). There was simply nothing else in the store that remotely resembled this one in looks, tonewood choices and sound. It was all brand new to me back then, but the Taylor GA has since become the standard by which I measure all other guitars.

My first was a 455, but I couldn't agree more with the underlined statement above...

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2014, 07:48:01 AM »
Yeah, I keep going to guitar shops, picking up Martins, and asking myself, Why bother?
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2014, 11:19:05 AM »
Learned quite a lot actually. Such as don't rush it save a little more money and get a lot more for it. Main thing I learned was those folks in PA know how to make the best there is. They say Martin on the headstock since 1833.

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2014, 11:35:11 AM »
Learned quite a lot actually. Such as don't rush it save a little more money and get a lot more for it. Main thing I learned was those folks in PA know how to make the best there is. They say Martin on the headstock since 1833.

Except they messed up in the 1950's.  Stopped scalloping braces, started building much thicker tops, back and sides, sacrificing playability for durability.  They've since come to their senses, but until they introduced their performer series, a Taylor knock-off, it was difficult to walk into a guitar shop, pick up a brand new Martin, and find instant bliss.  Especially for a fingerpicker like me.  On the other hand, Martins do age beautifully.  They surely knew what they were doing when they made my once-cheapo 2-17 in 1930.  And I recall picking up a 15 year old OM-21 for sale at a GC and falling in love with its tone.

Twice, 1999 and 2007, I went into guitar shops with the express desire to walk out with a Martin.  The second time in particular my budget was well into four figures (second and third "decade").  The first time I walked out with a Tacoma, the second time, a Taylor.
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2014, 11:41:30 AM »
Sure were a lot of hits recorded with those old straight brace dreads.  D 28 is straight brace and has probably sold more of this one model than all of  the California boxes.

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2014, 02:16:56 PM »
Sure were a lot of hits recorded with those old straight brace dreads.  D 28 is straight brace and has probably sold more of this one model than all of  the California boxes.

True, but musicians had fewer choices back then, so Martin was the standard by default, and they have made some great guitars over the years...I owned many Martins including an HD28, an M38, a 000-16, a 000-EC, and a D-45. At one time, I owned both Taylors and Martins. For my musical purposes, Taylors just do it better. In the end, it comes down to personal preferences. If you're looking to replicate the sound on those many recordings, then the D 28 (or D-18 for hog lovers) is probably your ticket.  Otherwise, there are many more options to choose from these days. Viva la difference, to each his own, etc, etc, etc.....

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2014, 02:38:28 PM »
Good points. The Martin is how ever the one everyone else has to live up to. They have been copied  over and over thru the years. I still have a Taylor but the wife is about the only one who ever plays it. Only seen a couple in a bluegrass band. Seen a ton of Martins in bluegrass bands.

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2014, 02:52:10 PM »
Good points. The Martin is how ever the one everyone else has to live up to. They have been copied  over and over thru the years. I still have a Taylor but the wife is about the only one who ever plays it. Only seen a couple in a bluegrass band. Seen a ton of Martins in bluegrass bands.

You seem to pop up here every month or so to do nothing more than to claim that Martins are better -- or more widely accepted -- than Taylors.  Why is it so important to you for us -- in a Taylor forum -- to agree with you?  Do you really think we're going to read one of your many Martin-is-better posts and say to ourselves, "Dang, I hadn't thought of that.  I'm going to ditch all my Taylors and immediately buy Martins."  Why does it not ever occur to you that we like our Taylors and nothing you have to say, which is extremely little, is going to change that?

I am lucky enough to be able to afford Martins and Taylors.  In fact, I own a Martin because, for what it does, I prefer it over Taylor's offerings.  But that's the exception.  Overall I much prefer Taylors.  Can you live with that?  I've seen no evidence of it so far.

You've been called a troll in this forum because you have absolutely nothing to offer except to pour gasoline on the Taylor vs. Martin battle.  How, exactly, does a thread about the significance of your first Taylor motivate you to start the Martin vs. Taylor war all over again?  Why do you try so hard to change our minds?  Why can't you just accept that beauty is in the eye of the beholder?  Why, when you continually get the same reaction to your posts, do you come back here time after time and do the same thing over and over again?  Why do you never learn?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 03:08:25 PM by DennisG »
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2014, 03:12:07 PM »
Seen a ton of Martins in bluegrass bands.
Last time I checked, there were a lot more acoustic applications than just bluegrass bands. From what I've learned on this forum (I have been around these parts for a lot longer than you), the folks on this forum have a vast amount of knowledge and skill level, of which bluegrass is only a part. Personnally, for how and what I play, my Taylors meet my needs hands down.

You seem to pop up here every month or so to do nothing more than to claim that Martins are better -- or more widely accepted -- than Taylors.  Why is it so important to you for us -- in a Taylor forum -- to agree with you?  Do you really think we're going to read one of your many Martin-is-better posts and say to ourselves, "darn, I hadn't thought of that.  I'm going to ditch my Taylors and immediately buy Martins."  Why does it not ever occur to you that we like our Taylors and nothing you have to say, which is extremely little, is going to change that?

I am lucky enough to be able to afford Martins and Taylors.  In fact, I own a Martin because, for what it does, I prefer it over Taylor's offerings.  But that's the exception.  Overall I much prefer Taylors.  Can you live with that?  Apparently not.

You've been called a troll in this forum because you have absolutely nothing to offer except to pour gasoline on the Taylor vs. Martin battle.  You are entitled to your beliefs, but when all you can sing is that one tiresome note, it gets old pretty fast.
Nicely said, Dennis.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2014, 08:19:20 PM »

I agree that Martin set the standard, which everyone attempted to copy to some extent. (Even Taylor makes a dreadnought that incidentally became the preference of at least a few bluegrass players and pleasantly surprised other dyed-in-the-wool traditionalists, but I digress.) The point of this thread is the significance of each person's  first Taylor. As I said in my original post above, Taylor broke ranks and didn't try to copy Martin, but instead had the courage to forge its own path during many lean years. That's what I found so significant about Taylor - they didn't attempt to be another Martin knock-off, but created a new guitar personality, which opened the floodgates for other talented builders as well.

Enjoy your Martins - they're great guitars, but they no longer have to be for everybody, thanks to Taylor.

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2014, 01:12:52 AM »
I'll let you know tomorrow  ;D
According to FedEX tracking a 2011 814ce should be arriving at my office before noon!!

Hi Freddycaster. Welcome to the UTGF. Congrats on what should be a recently delivered 2011 814ce. :) I don't own a 2011 814ce, but it was the first Taylor I ever had the pleasure of playing. My 314ce was the first and still my favorite Taylor. I've become a better guitar player as a result. Enjoy.   
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 03:03:37 AM by CodeBlueEMT »
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"