Author Topic: Taylor Road Show Tid Bit  (Read 34646 times)

Blueshwk

Taylor Road Show Tid Bit
« on: March 12, 2014, 04:06:12 PM »
I was out and about today and in the neighborhood, so I dropped in my local guitar shop as I do more often than I should. While there I noticed stacks of guitars, and although I didn't count them I assume there were twenty to twenty five Taylor's neatly stacked in the floor of the "good stuff" room.

I asked if this was new inventory and was told no, that the guitars were being sent  to an upcoming Taylor Road Show. I didn't inquire as to location but assume somewhere in the South or Eastern US. Anyway, I wasn't aware of this but apparently Taylor pulls (at least some) from dealer stock to inventory the Road Show. There were still plenty of nice Taylor's on the walls, so they didn't appear to be thinning the store stock. This dealer keeps many guitars from the Babies to BTO and Presentation series stuff in fairly large numbers and the walls were far from bare.

When you think about it I suppose it makes sense to stock the Road Show venues, at least in part, in this fashion and I just found it interesting. Maybe this has been covered in the forum before but this was new to me.
Anyone here aware of this practice? Just curious......

fmbstrummer

Re: Taylor Road Show Tid Bit
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 04:39:52 PM »
That really seems odd to me.  Who owns the inventory that is being transferred?  I thought Taylor dealers purchased or financed their own inventory.  If that is the case, then is Taylor buying back the guitars for the Road Show?  Now, if that was a large chain store and they were transferring their own inventory between locations, then, no surprise to me.  Was this a GC? 

FMB   

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 04:49:42 PM »
I've not been able to attend a Road Show, but at least how it's been described to me by Joe at Empire Music in Pittsburgh is that Taylor tries to use what's on hand at a store (the inventory of which is that of the store owner), but also brings some stock to demonstrate it and make it available for purchase (either to Road Show attendees or the store).  Usually the stuff brought in by the Taylor reps is from the BTO program, but not necessarily.
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

Blueshwk

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 07:19:28 PM »
No not a big box store... Perhaps they floor plan them through Taylor?

emidyl

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 07:20:08 PM »
suppose it makes good sense to use some store stock. I am attending in a couple weeks and know for a fact that Taylor will be making 4 or 5 stops in the area without going "home" so unlikely they will carry enough stock for all locations to sell to attendees. Unless the ship some more mid-trip?
2013 Taylor 528e
2014 Taylor 214ce K DLX
2014 Taylor GS Mini Holden
2012 Gretsch 6118T Annie
2013 Godin Session
2013 Takamine GN20-NS
2006 Simon & Patrick GT Vintage Burst CW
2009 Fender Strat

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 07:47:38 AM »
The roadshows I've been to always have had guitars in part populated by store stock, even some of the "good stuff".
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 07:49:30 PM »
The roadshows I've been to always have had guitars in part populated by store stock, even some of the "good stuff".

That has been my experience too, at five different road shows in three different states - partial store stock, partial BTO's, and a few high end or specialty instruments that were going on to the next show (unless sold off that night).  In fact, one time they did not have any koa guitar at all, either the show guys or the store, and I happened to have brought mine in to have one of the techs look at it.  I offered to let them use it to demo during the road show, and they gladly accepted to help demonstrate the tonal properties of different body woods.  They even put fresh strings on it.  I did not let it get played by the masses in the "petting zoo" phase, however.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 07:51:51 PM by Earl »
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby