Author Topic: Meditating through Music  (Read 1594 times)

pheumiller

Meditating through Music
« on: February 21, 2014, 01:45:01 PM »
Folks, just posted a new blog "Meditating through Music" Check it out. Have you tried this before? Would love to hear your experience! http://ow.ly/tRWtL

mikeguywest

Re: Meditating through Music
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 03:03:53 PM »
I also use music in my spiritual life. However, my spiritual philosophy differs from yours in that "thinking" is a major factor of my meditation. I sing about the truths I learn of God from the Bible and write songs based on that. I also sing songs that others have written. I love to sing words of God's greatness and goodness, feeling the resonating of the natural woods of my acoustic against my body, and meditating on God's truth. Playing my guitar is definitely a big part of my spiritual life.

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 03:31:25 PM »
I pick up a guitar every evening before bedtime.  Often this interlude (5-30 minutes) is my entire playing experience of the day.  I have no higher purpose than to relax and feel good.  Sometimes if I don't have a specific song in mind  I revert to one of 3 songs I've played hundreds of times, or even a particular 8-measure repetitive "tune" that has somehow lodged in my brain and never evolved into anything more.  Whether this is meditation, preparation, relaxation or contemplation is left for others to decide. 
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

azslacker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 04:49:39 PM »
I get up almost every morning around 5:00 a.m., grab a cup of coffee, and head off to our enclosed front porch. The gs-mini is already there waiting for me. I sit in near total darkness with the light dimmed so that about all I can see is a little reflection on the frets. I play nahenahe (gentle) style slack key tunes, and usually sing in a very low voice. This time of year it's getting light outside around 6:30. That's usually the end of my "meditation" session.

Never really thought about it being meditation, but I guess that's exactly what it is. My mind is completely focused on the music. There is no other time of the day that I can play or sing better.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 05:01:44 PM by azslacker »
2016 322e 12 Fret
2011 312ce
2012 GS-Mini hog 
1983 Washburn D 12S
Yamaha Classical
Ukulele's out the ying yang.
2014 Larivée PO-3 Koa

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 06:52:56 PM »
One really nice thing about playing guitar is that no matter how crappy the day has been, 30-40 minutes of guitar playing puts me in a better mood (works much better than 3-4 drinks with fewer side effects), makes me concentrate on the playing and helps me let go of all that stuff.

In NOV 2012 I had a brain tumor and spent 26 days in the hospital, part of it paralyzed on my left side.  My wife put our collection of slack key music on the iPod on infinite repeat next to my hospital bed.  That really helped me relax and recover during some dark and scary times.  Plus it gave me something definite to shoot for -- get back to playing my repertoire.  The therapists and nurses loved to hear it too.  For those not familiar with Hawaiian slack key, it is so relaxing that I have actually fallen asleep slumped over my guitar late at night while playing on occasion.  I cannot listen to it in the car and stay alert.  Highly recommended as therapy music.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 10:04:26 AM »
I have to echo the sentiments about playing as being an emotionally therapeutic diversion from the other concerns of the day.  I find it to be something that is completely disconnected from my other activities, in particular, my job.  I enjoy my work, but it's highly technical; and dealing with office/program politics and bureaucracy is particularly tedious to me.  Playing gives me something with which I can engage the other side of my brain for a while -- and in a positive way...
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

mikeguywest

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 11:17:46 AM »
One really nice thing about playing guitar is that no matter how crappy the day has been, 30-40 minutes of guitar playing puts me in a better mood (works much better than 3-4 drinks with fewer side effects),

I couldn't agree more. Sometimes just strumming a couple of simple chords can do wonders. I challenged myself a while back to write some songs using just two chords. I have another song where I play five chords, but they are all two note chords. I don't know what you would call that musically, but it has a nice effect, and very relaxing.