Author Topic: New 800 series fingerboards  (Read 16530 times)

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
Re: New 800 series fingerboards
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2014, 04:17:42 PM »
i'm thinking that solid black color ebony fretboards will likely continue on the 900, koa &
PS models, to maintain the visual definition of the more intricate fretboard inlays -
in a past W&S it was said the most practical way to use dyed ebony was on an unbound
fretboard with no inlays, as the stain could bleed over into the fretboard binding and inlays

i'm not sure how well this works, as i've never tried it & i don't know of anyone that has
http://www.stewmac.com/tradesecrets/promo/ts0046_ebony

the current Custom sheet shows ebony for fretboard & bridge, with no visible option for
solid black color or marbled, but i imagine that is a detail/option that can be worked out
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

catan

« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2014, 04:41:50 PM »
Ebony dye bleeding into maple binding...could bring the flame back :D
Gear:
2011 Taylor 414ce Fall LTD (Sitka/EIR)
Fishman Loudbox Mini

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2014, 06:31:55 PM »
i'm not sure how well this works, as i've never tried it & i don't know of anyone that has
http://www.stewmac.com/tradesecrets/promo/ts0046_ebony

If you have to do the dyeing with the frets off the fingerboard it will be a pretty labour intensive job.  That would make it completely to expensive.  I wonder if you could still do it with the frets on.  I am thinking you could.  I don't think that the fret wire would take on any stain, and I doubt that there would be a problem with stain seeping down underneath the fret wire.  Maple binding has finish on it so it would not permeate it, or would it?
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

jerrytubes

« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2014, 09:29:37 PM »
I don't think the fret wire would take on any stain.  Having some experience in staining gun stocks, if I were going to stain a fret board, I would put on several very light coats, letting each one dry overnight, until the desired result is achieved.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 12:14:03 AM by Jerry »

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2014, 11:46:52 PM »
Hmmm, I've got the graying going on in spades and perish the thought of any dye touching me!  (thankfully, the wife concurs ;) ).
And thus I feel likewise about any guitar I own.  Personally speaking, of course, but the wood is the wood: if I don't like its figuring, I would never dye it to "make" it something that it intrinsically is not.  It just smacks of "fake fake fake" to me.  If one doesn't care for any wood's figuring, there are simply too many other offerings out there that would suit one's tastes; no need to resort to "trickery."  Not to mention dye seems like an assault on a perfectly innocent guitar to me: it is what it is, save the tree --errr-- guitar!!

As was already succinctly said, figured grain is like tonal differences: we like what we like, and should simply move on from there.  :D

Edward

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2014, 08:52:29 AM »
Hmmm, I've got the graying going on in spades and perish the thought of any dye touching me!  (thankfully, the wife concurs ;) ).
And thus I feel likewise about any guitar I own.  Personally speaking, of course, but the wood is the wood: if I don't like its figuring, I would never dye it to "make" it something that it intrinsically is not.  It just smacks of "fake fake fake" to me.  If one doesn't care for any wood's figuring, there are simply too many other offerings out there that would suit one's tastes; no need to resort to "trickery."  Not to mention dye seems like an assault on a perfectly innocent guitar to me: it is what it is, save the tree --errr-- guitar!!

As was already succinctly said, figured grain is like tonal differences: we like what we like, and should simply move on from there.  :D

Edward

Taylor and other companies have been dyeing ebony for years and to my knowledge no complaints of trickery or dishonesty.  I personally would rather have it all black.  However I will be getting a 814ce someday soon and the current smokey style will be acceptable, but I will be looking for it to be lightly marbled. 

Dyeing(staining) does not bother me.  I think the burst and other stained tops and backs work well with Taylor and other guitars and I enjoy them. I don't consider them fake, just enhancements.  The dyeing of the fingerboards to me is just another enhancement. 

Now here is a case for Fake, Fake, Fake.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 09:08:38 AM by mgap »
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2014, 11:23:09 AM »
it has been stated in W&S that the ebony Taylor uses is not dyed & other than the original artist series in
the mid 80's & the transparent amber stain used on the standard 600s, starting in the very early 90s, with
the pearl leaf fretmarkers, the only consistent staining of woods that Taylor has done that i've seen, on
non-sunburst, edgeburst or transparent stain 600s, which have been natural since 12, standard models
were the mahogany back & sides & mahogany necks on the GS-MC models in 06, & GS5s starting in 07 -
if there are any dyed or stained ebony, or rosewood, Taylor fretboards out there, i'd like to see a pic of one,
as it'd be a first for me, but if the fretboards were unbound on the classical prototypes, that's a possibility

one of the questions in W&S asked was why a maple fretboard option wasn't offered on the SB & the response was something
along the lines of the process to apply finish (UV) to the fretboard hasn't been developed, possibly for long term durability -
if the process gets worked out & a satin black maple fretboard & bridge are offered that barely show the grain, sign me up 8)

transblack has been done with a gloss finish on a few models, on satin finish necks for BTOs & maybe a few others too ;)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 02:49:12 PM by michaelw »
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

otis66

« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2014, 01:16:32 PM »

Edward

Taylor and other companies have been dyeing ebony for years and to my knowledge no complaints of trickery or dishonesty.  I personally would rather have it all black.  However I will be getting a 814ce someday soon and the current smokey style will be acceptable, but I will be looking for it to be lightly marbled. 

Dyeing(staining) does not bother me.  I think the burst and other stained tops and backs work well with Taylor and other guitars and I enjoy them. I don't consider them fake, just enhancements.  The dyeing of the fingerboards to me is just another enhancement. 

Now here is a case for Fake, Fake, Fake.
Taylor guitars does not dye it's ebony. What you see is what you get. Martin Guitars does dye it's ebony.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2014, 02:36:37 PM »
LOL ...love the Travolta shots!!!   May I never succumb to such vanity!  :D
Likewise, may Taylor never succumb to such practice ...a practice I do feel (clearly IMHO) is amiss in honest guitar building.  What you see should be what you get.

Edward

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2014, 09:06:18 AM »
Saw a 514 yesterday with a little color washout of the ebony around the tenth fret.  Need to call it for what it looks like--a blem..
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge