Author Topic: Leather Straps  (Read 4198 times)

MB

• Veteran Member
  • It's a journey...
Leather Straps
« on: February 21, 2014, 09:51:01 AM »
Okay, I love the suede leather straps but have a heck of a time getting the strap on the end pin. I don't like to leave the strap on in the case so I take it off every time I put the guitar away. Does anyone have any tips or tricks for getting the strap on the end pin all the way? See the pic, this is where mine ends up a lot of the time and I just go with it but then when you try to plug in a cable, the strap prevents solid connection. I end up struggling with this every time and it is frustrating.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 09:55:15 AM by MB »

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Re: Leather Straps
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 10:10:00 AM »
Thanks for posting this. Anxious to see the suggestions. Taylor sent me one of their suede straps for my 512ce fiasco last year, and I also have a hard time getting a quick, secure fit. I love the strap though. I too take it off, while its in the case.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

tedtan

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 10:25:12 AM »
On guitars with a 1/4 output jack in the end pin like Taylors, I always end up enlarging the hole in the strap with a leather drive punch. I 've also heard of people enlarging the slit in the strap so it is easier to put on over the end pin and stretching the (wetted) strap with pennies inserted into the end pin hole, but neither of those approaches actually removes the excess material which can still get in the way. Punching a larger hole solves that issue - the strap goes on easily without excess material in the way, and, because it fits the end pin properly, is very secure.

But I have a couple of new straps from Italia at the moment and they are pretty thick, so I'm interested in others' approaches as well.

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 10:33:12 AM »
Wet that part of the strap, two nickles (one on either side of the hole) squeezed tight with a pair of vice grips... let it sit overnight.  Undo the vice grips and trim (a little at a time) the opening as necessary.

I learned that technique here, so I can't take credit for it.

Jim

2014 Taylor 522ce 12-fret
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
2013 Rainsong Shorty SG-FLE
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

MexicoMike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 12:55:41 PM »
Why do you take the strap off to put the guitar in the case? I have always just left the strap connected at the bottom and put the strap up over the guitar strings/fretboard and close the case.  The end of the strap falls about 1/2 way up the peg head.    I use dark brown "Martin " leather straps (with accommodation for 3 picks) on my Martin and my two Taylors.  I was hoping the Martin strap would add a little bass on the 414 but no luck!  :)

MB

• Veteran Member
  • It's a journey...
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 01:21:26 PM »
MexicoMike-
I take it off because I don't want the strap to damage the top of the guitar or the finish.
Years ago, I left a leather strap on a gigging guitar that was beat up anyways so I didn't care and I didn't have a ton of $ invested in it.
The strap ended up leaving a stain on the top after several years of doing this.
I also had one with a nylon strap with the buckle and the buckle put dents in the cedar top of that one too.
So on these more expensive guitars, I just don't want to chance a stupid scar/stain/mark/dent whatever.

MikeB

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 08:44:27 AM »
I did both suggestions (found here) of lengthening the slit a small amount and the two nickels to squeeze the suede thinner.  Now, after 8 months of use, it is getting easier to put on.
Because there is no room in the case for this strap (my accessory box is filled with extra strings, battery, capo, etc), I attach the strap to the end pin before going out, placing it over the strings, with the end folded over near the headstock.  That way when I go to play, I just need to attach the strap at the neck pin, which is easy.  I don't leave the strap in the case at home.

MexicoMike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 09:19:55 AM »
Well that's certainly a good reason.  I've never had any such issue with leather straps - maybe I've just been lucky! :)  But I'll take a closer look at the guitar bodies today to be sure that there is no discoloration and if I see anything, I'll quit doing that.  I've had the Martin since the 90s with no noticeable discoloring but the Taylor is only a year old…though I can't imagine Taylor's catalyzed finish being more susceptible to such things than Martin's nitro.

TaylorMate

• Bard since the Sixties
    • Blogboek
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 01:29:22 AM »
Highly recognizable problem, MB! My daily struggle. Isn't there an end pin bolt on the market with the same shape as the neck pin?
If you dig it, do it; if you dig it a lot, do it twice (Jim Croce)

Lyrics and music: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6gaSzHsXOYq-j_eQH6IwsW_K0S3CHfbk

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 07:25:47 AM »
Much more concerned about the opposite problem--straps falling off while playing.
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

MikeB

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 08:43:44 AM »
Taylor uses that wide-flange style for the electric end pins, that's the real problem - the neck pin is a standard size.  The 1/4" jack means a regular size flange is just not enough to be secure, I guess (never had an issue with my Fender a/e, though).
I use Schaller Straplocks  on my electric guitars, but there doesn't seem to be the same option for an a/e with an end pin jack.  I've seen the straps that have sliding plastic clips, but I want something that will attach to a strap of my choice (love the comfort and look of my Taylor suede strap!)

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 06:22:07 PM »
Got myself a plastic pin with a nickel-sized head that fits in like a jack into the electric end pin. If I can find the vendor's name I will post itoi
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'05 TAYLOR 614ce 

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2014, 07:02:11 PM »
as long as the stitching stays intact, i think the better option is moistening the end
of a leather strap slightly & using the double-nickel clamp method to compress it -
imho, leaving a strap attached to a guitar, folding it over & putting into the case is just
plain laziness, which can result in scratches & possible discoloration on some finishes

i've seen it happen, but to each their own -
i'm just glad it's not my guitar :-\
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2014, 08:44:16 PM »
Haven't yet seen a properly sized hard case where one can safely leave the strap attached
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'05 TAYLOR 614ce 

MexicoMike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2014, 08:50:51 PM »
 folding it over & putting into the case is just
plain laziness"

Sadly, I AM pretty lazy; thank you for pointing it out.  I'll try to become a better person. 

Re the actual issue…leaving the strap attached in the case will pretty much eliminate any possibility of the strap popping off when you take the guitar from the case.   My 15+ year old Martin which has had the strap on it in the case every day since purchase has no marks/scratches; neither does my 18 month old Taylor.  I know it's a common issue with non-leather or maybe poor quality leather straps but haven't seen a quality leather strap cause a problem.

But as we have all frequently said - do whatever works for you.  I was just supplying MY personal experience re the subject. 

"Haven't yet seen a properly sized hard case where one can safely leave the strap attached"

I haven't had that experience - the oem Martin HD28 hard case, the oem Taylor 414ce hard case, and my Taylor GS5 oem case all easily allow the strap to fit on the base of the guitar and then lay atop the body/strings up to the peg head. But of course, if it won't fit, then you can't do it.