Author Topic: Why doesn't my 2012 Taylor 810 ring out (volume-wise)?  (Read 920 times)

harryprk2x

Why doesn't my 2012 Taylor 810 ring out (volume-wise)?
« on: February 18, 2014, 04:28:41 PM »
My 2012 Taylor 810 is strung with medium Elixir Phosphor Bronze Strings NANOWEB. I recently played my friend's Limited Edition Rosewood Taylor 414 and I was surprised how much louder it rang out than my 810. I was wondering what you guys think can be the reason.

MB

• Veteran Member
  • It's a journey...
Re: Why doesn't my 2012 Taylor 810 ring out (volume-wise)?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 08:53:59 PM »
It could be a number of things. I would recommend bringing it to an authorized Taylor repair shop and have them take a look.
I had some issues with one of mine and after a good set up, it's like a new guitar and sounds awesome! Best $ I ever spent.

MikeB

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 07:49:40 PM »
You could try 80/20 strings - what strings did your friend's 414 have on it?  Personally, when I did a side by side of a 414 (ovankol) and 810 (rosewood) I liked the rosewood sound more - but that's why they have choices, not everyone likes the same sound!  (frankly I like the sapele sound better than the ovankol, too, and that's what I have - 310ce)

MexicoMike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 11:17:19 PM »
I'm by no means any sort of Taylor-knowledgeable person, having never even played one until about a year ago.  But…

Isn't the 810 a dreadnought?  I would expect the 414 to be louder in perceived volume since it probably has stronger mids/trebles.  My 414ce sounds louder than my Martin HD28…because the trebles stand out more, giving it more "edge."  It's not actually louder if you measure it with a Db meter because the Martin's bass is much stronger but as far as perceived loudness to the ear, the 414 is louder, at least up to a point.  If I play both guitars with maximum "energy," the dread will sound louder because the 414 hits its limit of producible volume before the dread does.  I suspect something similar with what you are describing.

IOW, I believe your 810 CAN play louder than the 414 can but up to some point, the same amount of pick/finger-picking energy will result in more perceived volume from the 414 due to the greater mid/treble emphasis.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 11:18:59 PM by MexicoMike »

mikeguywest

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 11:52:11 AM »
If I play both guitars with maximum "energy," the dread will sound louder because the 414 hits its limit of producible volume before the dread does....
IOW, I believe your 810 CAN play louder than the 414 can but up to some point, the same amount of pick/finger-picking energy will result in more perceived volume from the 414 due to the greater mid/treble emphasis.

Good point, Mike. I've read that somewhere in W&S that the larger body styles have the potential of booming, but they have to be played with a heavy hand. Same goes for the difference between, say, spruce and cedar. A cedar top will play just as loud with a medium strum as a spruce will with a heavier strum.