Author Topic: 2014 Standard Strings on Pre-2014 Models?  (Read 4107 times)

Go Navy

• Northern California
2014 Standard Strings on Pre-2014 Models?
« on: February 16, 2014, 07:58:54 PM »
It's been a long time since I posted (sidetracked by a bunch of "stuff")  but glad you fellow players are still here.  I just devoured the 2014 Winter magazine, and noted that Taylor has settled on a new "standard" string set from Elixir for the 800 series. I can't remember the details, which are revealed, but apparently one or more of the treble strings are a slightly larger gauge than the previous standard.

Do you think I could put the new string set on my 2012 812ce cedar/rosewood, and get an improved sound?
Guild Manhattan X-175 (1976)
Ibanez GB10 George Benson 1980
2012 Taylor 812ce Cedar

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: 2014 Standard Strings on Pre-2014 Models?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 09:07:45 PM »
A thicker G is all the diff, IIRC.  Check it out on the website as I'm sure its in there somewhere.  The real answer is try it ...you'll either like it or not.

Each guitar is different due to its own voicing.  FWIW, I prefer elixir PBs over their 80/20s across the board.  My GS and DN wear medium PBs and I like it.  While on my GA and GC bodies, I prefer the PB medium-lights: the EAD from the med. set and the GBE from their light.  I love the tonal balance this set afffords me.  Now think about what the new "Taylor-elixir" set brings: thicker trebs tone.  This is directly opposite of what I like.  That goes to show you how personal this stuff is.  So the answer really lays with you.

Edward

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 09:45:27 PM »
It's been a long time since I posted (sidetracked by a bunch of "stuff")  but glad you fellow players are still here.  I just devoured the 2014 Winter magazine, and noted that Taylor has settled on a new "standard" string set from Elixir for the 800 series. I can't remember the details, which are revealed, but apparently one or more of the treble strings are a slightly larger gauge than the previous standard.

Do you think I could put the new string set on my 2012 812ce cedar/rosewood, and get an improved sound?
from the looks of things, all X12 & X14 steel 6 string models, 300/up will have the HD gauge set,
which has slightly heavier G, B & e (.025, .017 & .013 vs .024, .016 & .012 for standard light gauge) -
the 300 to 700s continue to have standard II bracing & the 900/up have CV, whereas the 800s have the parabolic AP bracing,
with offset parallel back bracing on the 812 & 814, so whether or not the tone will be "improved" is up to the individual, but
i think that Andy & the folks at Taylor feel that phosphor bronze strings, with medium gauge plain B & e & a slightly heavier G
will give a more balanced response overall, with a little more warmth in the mids & "bolder" trebles with a liitle less "shimmer"

i'm with Ed in that the strings i prefer have a light gauge .012 & .016 B & e, with medium gauge E, A & D &,
coincidentally, the EXP19s that i've used pretty much exclusively for the past several years have a .025 G -
i'm still trying to find an economical equivalent for the HD set, but so far both options i've come up with
are uncoated, either a set of EJ16, plus a single .025PB, plain .017 & .013, or a set of martin FX745s, as a
set of EXP16s, single .025EXPPB, plain .017 & .013 are about as much $ as i'd expect the elixir HDs to be

i'm curious to see how a 2014 X12 12 fret, non-800, or 13-earlier X12/GC 12 fret will respond to a HD set :-\
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

dangrunloh

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 09:55:08 PM »
New 800 series is voiced differently than previous models and apparently benefits from the string gauge change. I also prefer the med-lights PB on my 414 because the heavier bottom strings helps bring more volume to the low notes which can be weaker on the GA body.  I also love full medium PB's half step down from standard pitch

Also the new 800 pickup system perhaps does not exhibit the hotter B-string effect sometimes heard on the ES1 magnetic pickup.  Putting a heavier B on older ES1 pickup mighty make that string too loud when plugged in.

Isn't it interesting that the entire line goes back to PB's after Andy takes a bigger role?

michaelw

• Veteran Member
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 10:32:44 PM »
i think that the standard strings used before elixir polywebs 80/20s in 99, & nanowebs thereafter,
were uncoated PBs & that the strings used on R Taylors, starting around 05, were PBs as well -
seeing that the strings are coated, the life expectancy should be longer, which is of benefit to
both the player & the dealers that have guitars hanging on racks that may be played by more
than a few people over a period of time before being sold & hopefully they'll maintain their clarity

support indie musicians

MB

• Veteran Member
  • It's a journey...
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 10:53:53 PM »
When you guys say "PB" you mean phosphor bronze correct?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 11:00:18 PM by MB »

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 11:20:39 PM »

PB &J?
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

michaelw

• Veteran Member
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 11:26:05 PM »
phosphor bronze, yep, which sometimes goes by 92/8
just trying to conserve a little bandwidth ... sorry :-[

support indie musicians

MB

• Veteran Member
  • It's a journey...
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 11:41:12 PM »
I've read reviews about the differences in Elixir phosphor bronze vs the 80/20 bronze specifically on Taylor guitars.
One reviewer said they thought the 80/20 bronze followed a "V" EQ curve yielding deeper lows, brighter highs and scooped mids.
In comparison, they mentioned the phosphor bronze strings had less bass, and more high mids & highs.
Anyone have a similar experience with these?

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 12:42:50 AM »
I've read reviews about the differences in Elixir phosphor bronze vs the 80/20 bronze specifically on Taylor guitars.
One reviewer said they thought the 80/20 bronze followed a "V" EQ curve yielding deeper lows, brighter highs and scooped mids.
In comparison, they mentioned the phosphor bronze strings had less bass, and more high mids & highs.
Anyone have a similar experience with these?

Not at all my experience!  WRT elixir 80/20 vs PhBronze, I find 80/20s are brighter all around.  The overall tone is simply brighter and treble abounds, and to my ear/experience the bass strings sound thinner.  By contrast, Elixir PBs highs have a crisp "outline" that defines the notes beautifully, but lack the overall brassiness of the 80/20; moreover the PB's bass strings have more tonal girth to my ear, particularly the lower mids, as if occupying more space.  I woud definitely disagree that there is any scoop in the mids whatsoever with the 80/20s, nor consider them to have deeper lows than the PBs.   Of course, everyone hears things differently, so take this FWIW.  Moreover, every guitar's voice is different so perhaps a darker-toned guitar benefits from 80/20s; or perhaps you want your guitar to sit more "forward" in a mix.  Try a set of PBs against your 80/20s and you will know darn-near-close to immediately which you prefer as it is a pretty significant difference, IMHO.

Edward
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 12:44:29 AM by Edward »

Go Navy

• Northern California
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 10:26:35 AM »
New 800 series is voiced differently than previous models and apparently benefits from the string gauge change. I also prefer the med-lights PB on my 414 because the heavier bottom strings helps bring more volume to the low notes which can be weaker on the GA body.  I also love full medium PB's half step down from standard pitch

Also the new 800 pickup system perhaps does not exhibit the hotter B-string effect sometimes heard on the ES1 magnetic pickup.  Putting a heavier B on older ES1 pickup mighty make that string too loud when plugged in.

Isn't it interesting that the entire line goes back to PB's after Andy takes a bigger role?

Based on reading Wood and Steel latest, some of the decision on a new standard for strings  is definitely related to the redesign of the expression system, and their electronics guy's discovery about how the bridge actually moves.  He has moved the bridge pickups just aft of the bridge, instead of (it says), all other guitars as well as previous Taylors put their bridge pickups directly below the bridge.  Fascinating, and I believe it.
Guild Manhattan X-175 (1976)
Ibanez GB10 George Benson 1980
2012 Taylor 812ce Cedar

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 01:14:34 PM »
It's an interesting thread.  Those of us wishing for "more" from our older Taylors, especially x12's and x14's, presumably wish for more bass first and foremost, I presume.  Those who advocate for medium light sets for the aforementioned instruments make the most sense to me.

Are short scale x12's braced more lightly than their full scale predecessors?
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2014, 01:29:20 PM »
It's an interesting thread.  Those of us wishing for "more" from our older Taylors, especially x12's and x14's, presumably wish for more bass first and foremost, I presume.

I agree.  And after experimenting with probably a dozen different string sets, I settled on DR Rare mediums for my 814.  Their mediums are identical to everyone else's lights, except that the low E string is a 54, which adds some bottom end and volume to smaller-bodied guitars.  Love those strings.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

crashcup

• "Trust in God, but tie your camel!"
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 07:06:06 PM »
I've ordered a set of the new HD light strings for my 712ce 12 fret.  They're now specified for my model of guitar on the Taylor site.  The 712ce 12 fret has a booming bass for its size, even larger than my GA.  I understand that can be attributed to the special placement of the bridge on the 12 fret.   According to the most recent Wood and Steel, the larger gauge 1,2 &3 strings in the HD set are intended to round out the bass.  I'm also hoping they give a little more punch to 1, 2 and 3. 

If you're interested, the first retailer who will receive the new PB HD lights according to an email I received from Elixir is The Guitar Center.  They will get a two week jump on all other retailers and will start shipping the first week in March. 

Cheers!

Bill

AVTaylor83

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 12:31:28 PM »
I'm going to experiment with the HD's once they come out.  I feel like PB's tend to over-emphasize the lows on a rosewood guitar too much for my liking, so I stick to the 80/20's.  But maybe the new PB HD's with the medium/hybrid high E, B, G will give it that extra sparkle that I thought was lacking.  Will be interesting to see.
2022 AD27e Flametop - maple
2016 514ce Fall Ltd - cedar/granadillo