Author Topic: What would be the iconic Taylor acoustic guitar?  (Read 22126 times)

jrporter

• Veteran Member
Re: What would be the iconic Taylor acoustic guitar?
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2014, 08:39:24 AM »
The 810 has been called the "flagship" of the Taylor lineup but I tend to agree that a GA with a cutaway is probably the stereotypical Taylor that people think of.

That being said, I'd submit that there is no truly "iconic" Taylor guitar. And that might not be a bad thing. Three reasons why:

1. Taylor doesn't have near the amount of history and legend as brands like Martin, Gibson, or Fender.

2. This means they're not bound as much by that history and instead have made innovation their hallmark rather than tradition. They have more freedom to change up appointments and features without being accused of sacrilege.

3. Taylors are relatively consistent across the range of shape and series in terms of having the Taylor overall look and sound -- that has changed a little recently with the 700 and 500 series models.

I actually think the "icon" of Taylor Guitars isn't a specific model, but rather Bob Taylor and his approach to building guitars. That is the legacy that people have tried to imitate and that is what history will remember. And I think that's pretty awesome.

I love my Grand Auditoriums, but voted for the 810 for its historical significance within the Taylor lineup...

Night Train

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2014, 09:18:47 AM »
At a road show, the rep said that when Taylor bought their plane, they tried to get the tail number "N814CE", but it wasn't available. Instead, they opted for "N914CE".

It's pretty evident that Taylor gives the strong nod to the 814ce, so I'll defer to them.

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2014, 09:23:13 AM »
It's either the 814 or the 514 depending on one's tonewood preferences IMO....
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Montesdad

• hey, where's my pick?
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2014, 09:52:49 AM »
One more for the 814 (ce) or GA

It's just got it all going for it, size, sound, playability -
2002 H&D TDR Custom Honduran/Sitka 45
2014 H&D TDR Custom Brazilian/Adi 45
2019 Ryan Nightingale EIR/Bearclaw Sitka
2004 Martin J-41 Special EIR/Sitka

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2014, 10:04:04 AM »
to me, it would depend on what one's definition of an icon or the adjective iconic is -
the statue of liberty, empire state building, mt rushmore & the space needle, i feel, are icons

the 810 was there from year one, along with the 815 & 855 & the 800 series
has been the foundation that changed the least in the past ... up until now -
the 900s were originally maple, the Cindy inlay didn't appear until 93, then took
some time off from 01 to 10, other than a few LTD runs & returned in 11, while
the 700s were available in 77 at the request from a distribution company &
along with 500s, the aesthetics of those were closest to a standard 18/28

the X14 was introduced in 94, as the 20th anniversary XX-GA MC & RS models, with 250 made of each
http://www.elderly.com/items/20U-14170.htm
there was a numbered GA-RS model, with 300 made in 95, the 814c debuted in 96 & the 814ce in 98 -
the X10 used to be the first to receive the redesigns, with the body shape change in 97 & standard II
bracing in 02, but the tide has changed as the 814 & 816 were selected as the first 2014 800s released

there may have been more 814ce built & sold, due to CNC & increased production, overall than the 810,
but without the 810 being accepted & becoming a successful model,  chances are there wouldn't be an 814

icons don't really "change" per se, imho, but the status of being considered "iconic" does -
the apple II was released in 77 & the macintosh in 84, iPod in 01, iPhone in 07 & iPad in 2010

is this considered "iconic", as it is not what apple is most recognized/known for now, or an "icon" ?

the mouse  & GUI concept apple had an 11 year advantage with, as it took microsoft nearly 10 years to
finally gain traction with their windows operating systems, with 95 being the advent of the start button

this could  be considered the mustang equivalent of the 94 XX-RS, or more accurately a 74 810

& the "14 814"

the iconic moniker could be connected to the most popular, most made or
most sold, but the icon comes first, as there's no iconic without icon ... just ic

for me, the jury's still out -
i'll wait until the 14 810 FE is released to "pronounce judgment" ;)
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2014, 10:23:36 AM »
to me, it would depend on what one's definition of an icon or the adjective iconic is -
the statue of liberty, empire state building, mt rushmore & the space needle, i feel, are icons

the 810 was there from year one, along with the 815 & 855 & the 800 series
has been the foundation that changed the least in the past ... up until now -
the 900s were originally maple, the Cindy inlay didn't appear until 93, then took
some time off from 01 to 10, other than a few LTD runs & returned in 11, while
the 700s were available in 77 at the request from a distribution company &
along with 500s, the aesthetics of those were closest to a standard 18/28

the X14 was introduced in 94, as the 20th anniversary XX-GA MC & RS models, with 250 made of each
http://www.elderly.com/items/20U-14170.htm
there was a numbered GA-RS model, with 300 made in 95, the 814c debuted in 96 & the 814ce in 98 -
the X10 used to be the first to receive the redesigns, with the body shape change in 97 & standard II
bracing in 02, but the tide has changed as the 814 & 816 were selected as the first 2014 800s released

JFK was an iconic president, newb8e that he was. John Quincy Adsms and Millard Fillmore, his distant predecessors, were not

there may have been more 814ce built & sold, due to CNC & increased production, overall than the 810,
but without the 810 being accepted & becoming a successful model,  chances are there wouldn't be an 814

icons don't really "change" per se, imho, but the status of being considered "iconic" does -
the apple II was released in 77 & the macintosh in 84, iPod in 01, iPhone in 07 & iPad in 2010

is this considered "iconic", as it is not what apple is most recognized/known for now, or an "icon" ?

the mouse  & GUI concept apple had an 11 year advantage with, as it took microsoft nearly 10 years to
finally gain traction with their windows operating systems, with 95 being the advent of the start button

this could  be considered the mustang equivalent of the 94 XX-RS, or more accurately a 74 810

& the "14 814"

the iconic moniker could be connected to the most popular, most made or
most sold, but the icon comes first, as there's no iconic without icon ... just ic

for me, the jury's still out -
i'll wait until the 14 810 FE is released to "pronounce judgment" ;)

CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

Blueshwk

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2014, 10:56:07 AM »
A guitar in my possession is reality, anything other would be fantasy or desire and I can't comment on a guitar that I haven't lived with. I have owned a handful of Taylor's but I honestly can't say I have owned one I would call iconic...As of yet anyway.

Jarlaxle

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2014, 11:32:15 AM »
A guitar in my possession is reality, anything other would be fantasy or desire and I can't comment on a guitar that I haven't lived with. I have owned a handful of Taylor's but I honestly can't say I have owned one I would call iconic...As of yet anyway.

Not trying to pick a fight but the OP wasn't asking if you thought Taylor's were iconic, just which model best exemplifies the essence of a Taylor guitar. 

I've never played a Gibson I bonded with in any way shape or form but that doesn't mean I can't acknowledge they have a legacy of building great guitars.

MexicoMike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2014, 12:22:19 PM »
Having been a guitar player since I started at 13, I can't say that I would consider any Taylor guitar "iconic."  They did not define a style/image/ or become a mental "poster" that everyone is familiar with.  A Strat is an iconic Fender guitar, a D28 is an iconic Martin guitar.  But there is no association in my mind re a Taylor and "icon."  I would call the GA a "signature model" from Taylor but I can't come up with any of the same relative fame, association, cachet or whatever you want to call it that would make a Taylor iconic.

I would say the same of Collings or any number of other famous guitar makers.

Being "iconic," of course, has NOTHING to do with the quality of an instrument or its sound.  One could call the image if Elvis and his leather-covered Martin "iconic" but I doubt that the guitar sounded very good! :)

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2014, 12:53:31 PM »
To me, "iconic" means the first thing that pops into my head when I hear the word.  So while that good ol' Apple Mac started a generation, it is the ipod that pops into my head.  So for Taylor?  My vote goes for 914, then the 814.  I don't think "dred" with Taylor, despite the obvious history, but one can't deny the roots.  Speaking of roots, and the rabbit hole Michael opened up... ;)

History ...the icon that comes to this head o mine:

Where "history" meets CNC ...my favorite era:

The everyday home guitar at a weekend bar gig:

How the pros play their guitars:

:D
Edward
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 01:03:31 PM by Edward »

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2014, 01:07:01 PM »
JFK, newbie that he was, was an iconic president.  Millard Fillmore, Franklin Pierce and even John Quincy Adams, his distant predecessors, were not.  So first around the block is not necessarily iconic.  Martin produced iconic guitars in the 1930's after 100 years of business.  I vote for the 814ce Taylor.
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

ksquared

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2014, 04:03:27 PM »
+1 for the 814ce

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2014, 05:30:32 PM »
JFK, newbie that he was, was an iconic president.  Millard Fillmore, Franklin Pierce and even John Quincy Adams, his distant predecessors, were not.  So first around the block is not necessarily iconic.  Martin produced iconic guitars in the 1930's after 100 years of business.  I vote for the 814ce Taylor.

I agree; while Martin produced legendary models in the 30s and 40s, Taylor had its watershed moment in the mid 90s with the grand auditorium, which offered everyone a middle point between the dreadnought and the OM. It became their signature tone and look that distingusihed them from Martin and all the other Martin immitators.  The GA led to the GS and the GO as well. OK, so it was only 20 years ago, but the whole Taylor GA experience has felt iconic to me. It definitely changed the way I think about guitars. So whatever your choice, rosewood, mahogany or maple, an X14 would be that iconic Taylor model IMO...
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

ctkarslake

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2014, 09:12:25 AM »
I thought Prince had an issue with logos.  I can't believe the purple 612ce he is playing has "Taylor" on the headstock.  LOL!

language
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 06:50:42 PM by UTGF-Team »
1989 712
1992 410
1992 412
1995 410
1995 422
1996 412-M
1996 450
1997 412
1997 420-R
2007 GC3

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2014, 09:44:27 AM »
that guitar was likely 10 years or more behind this one -
86 paisley A-12 on page 9
http://www.taylorguitars.com/sites/default/files/ws_spring_2011.pdf

i've heard there's a mid 80's 612c florentine cutaway model or 2, with
abalone edged top & blue edgeburst finish that was supposedly made for
mr. rogers nelson

i'm thinking he has a signature stamp to sign checks because it would take a while to reproduce the monogram
especially when buying a piece of property or a vehicle, or the CDW on a rental car check out form -
"please print your name here, sign here, initial here, here, & here to waive the collision damage coverage ..." ;)

but in all seriousness, he can play, imho
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=6SFNW5F8K9Y#t=207
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/