Author Topic: What GA would best fit me?  (Read 5819 times)

MexicoMike

• Veteran Member
Re: What GA would best fit me?
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2013, 08:50:31 AM »
"I sing along with a guitar to see if it matches my voice."

Totally agree - the guitar needs to compliment your voice.  But if possible, record/playback some tunes, don't just listen as you sing/play because what you THINK you/the guitar sound like is not what listeners hear.

Ironhead1977

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2013, 09:58:07 PM »
Taylor does not make a bad guitar from a a 114 to a 914 you would be happy with any one of them.

dmccrider

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2013, 01:04:25 AM »
How did you come up with your choices? I would suggest you don't limit your options to just those three. Personally, IMHO, I don't think you get much value in the Taylor 400 series and below guitars. If you are limiting yourself to those models based on price alone, you might be short changing yourself. I would suggest you have some fun playing different Taylor shapes and models. If you are a singer than sing as you play. If you find something you like much better and it costs a bit more save up for it. I feel like there are plenty of good guitars that you can get by with until you find the right Taylor for you. You may end up spending more in the end, but when you play something you love, it will be money well spent. If it works out to be a 214 or whatever else that's great, but I would poke around new and used, you might find a second hand Taylor that you like way better for around the same money.

egkor

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2013, 02:32:25 AM »
Yep, I've been down that path too.  For a long time I thought I was a rosewood type, but found out I'm really a Mahog/Sapele + Sitka type (and I also really like a lively Maple).

I just like the "attitude" of the Sapele/Sitka compared to the balance of the Ovankol/Sitka.

But they all sound good, and the choice is tough for the undecided.

My current go to guitar is a 2010 315ce, Sapele/Sitka Jumbo (just a big 314ce).  Sounds great plugged in or not and is inspiring to play.

Try to listen with your ears rather than with your eyes or the specs.  Have someone else play the guitars so you can hear them as a listener would hear them.

Best wishes.

-Gary K
Taylor- 614ce (2012), 315ce (2010)
Martin- DX1 (2009)

GSMAN

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2014, 02:18:23 AM »
Just an update.

The reason I like a the 100-400 series is due to price and taste. Having considering getting a 114 after beating out a 214 in a guitar store I still have my doubts that I would prefer it over my GS Mini. I have played many GA3 and GA4 before and I remember the 400s always sounding much sweeter. I'm still waiting around to see if anything else comes out for the new year but come spring time I might just have to go big or go home and grab a 414ce which IMO has been my favorite Taylor yet. We will see.

ataylor

• Veteran Member
    • I'm recording an album -- check it out on Kickstarter!
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2014, 10:11:14 AM »
I don't think you get much value in the Taylor 400 series and below guitars.

Interesting. I've always thought they (particularly the 300 series) are the best bang for the buck in the Taylor lineup.
2005 Taylor 210 (sitka/sapele)

jrporter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2014, 11:33:02 AM »
I don't know if my thoughts are too late to make a difference; but as the owner of a GA4 and a 324, I'd definitely opt for the 324. IMO it perfectly hits the middle ground between warmth and brightness...

« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 11:36:57 AM by jrporter »

GSMAN

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2014, 04:04:19 PM »
For my singing a Mahogany top never cuts it. I played a 320 and I thought it was just great though.

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2014, 07:08:16 PM »
I don't know if my thoughts are too late to make a difference; but as the owner of a GA4 and a 324, I'd definitely opt for the 324. IMO it perfectly hits the middle ground between warmth and brightness...

Every time I see a mahogany top Taylor I get all antsy for mine to come in.  jr your killing me. :D
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

jrporter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2014, 08:08:42 PM »

Every time I see a mahogany top Taylor I get all antsy for mine to come in.  jr your killing me. :D

It's really a wonderful guitar....

mikeguywest

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2014, 12:20:46 PM »
Traditionally, Mahogany (which 314's solid Sapele would be closest to) is the choice of folk musicians. Also, the dreadnaught is usually the shape of choice. Why not go with a 310? However, as we all typically advice in these threads, play them all and have someone play them while you listen, then make your choice.

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2014, 10:16:12 PM »
And my opinion is that the 314 (I own a GA3) is the best sounding of the three.  Which proves that you can't rely on others' opinions.  You have to decide for yourself.  FWIW, I thought the 314/414 were substantially "better" sounding than the 214.
it sounds like the 414 is in the running, with the 214 in second
The 414 sounds a little sweeter than the 314 from the guitars I have played. The 214 I remember being the loudest though.
"I sing along with a guitar to see if it matches my voice."

Totally agree - the guitar needs to compliment your voice.  But if possible, record/playback some tunes, don't just listen as you sing/play because what you THINK you/the guitar sound like is not what listeners hear.
imho, it should sound best to the player that's spending the $ on the guitar &
it seems like its purpose might be spent more being playing acoustically

I'm inspired by Folk and Country. I am looking at the non-electric versions.
How did you come up with your choices? I would suggest you don't limit your options to just those three. Personally, IMHO, I don't think you get much value in the Taylor 400 series and below guitars. If you are limiting yourself to those models based on price alone, you might be short changing yourself. I would suggest you have some fun playing different Taylor shapes and models. If you are a singer than sing as you play. If you find something you like much better and it costs a bit more save up for it. I feel like there are plenty of good guitars that you can get by with until you find the right Taylor for you. You may end up spending more in the end, but when you play something you love, it will be money well spent. If it works out to be a 214 or whatever else that's great, but I would poke around new and used, you might find a second hand Taylor that you like way better for around the same money.
by playing them
The 414 sounds a little sweeter than the 314 from the guitars I have played. The 214 I remember being the loudest though.
perhaps his budget stops at the 414 range & he may be looking for a new one
Traditionally, Mahogany (which 314's solid Sapele would be closest to) is the choice of folk musicians. Also, the dreadnaught is usually the shape of choice. Why not go with a 310? However, as we all typically advice in these threads, play them all and have someone play them while you listen, then make your choice.
could be because of the body shape or medium strings or maybe he likes the way
the X14 sounds, feels & responds with lights to him  while he's  playing it ???

there's quite bit of coin between the 214 & 414
http://altomusic.com/taylor-limited-edition-214-acoustic-guitar-in-sunburst
http://www.themusiczoo.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=17874&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CJP12p_K7bsCFSUOOgodCQQAuA
a good way decide might be to play 'em back & forth to determine if the investment for solid back &
sides, 1 3/4" nut, mahogany neck, 18:1 tuners, ebony pins & hardshell case is worth the extra bones

ymmv

have fun on the search, GSman & may the guitar you choose be the best one for you  :)
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/