Author Topic: Other hobbies  (Read 13878 times)

azslacker

• Veteran Member
Other hobbies
« on: January 06, 2014, 05:17:53 PM »
Is guitars/music your #1 hobby? If not, what is?

I'd say mine is guitars, and ukuleles. My second place is probably a tie between teardrop trailer camping, and beer brewing. Both of which I spend time on other forums.
2016 322e 12 Fret
2011 312ce
2012 GS-Mini hog 
1983 Washburn D 12S
Yamaha Classical
Ukulele's out the ying yang.
2014 Larivée PO-3 Koa

The Doctor

Re: Other hobbies
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 05:20:32 PM »
What are other hobbies that you speak of... Guitars and only guitars...
~Jack

2011 GS Mini
2013 414ce
2013 T5z Custom Koa
Fishman Loudbox Mini

azslacker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 05:23:59 PM »
Doc, if I was over there I'd spend a lot of time in the water SUP'n.
2016 322e 12 Fret
2011 312ce
2012 GS-Mini hog 
1983 Washburn D 12S
Yamaha Classical
Ukulele's out the ying yang.
2014 Larivée PO-3 Koa

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 06:27:54 PM »
I have sung in a community chorus for 26 years, collected stamps avidly as a preteen and teen (and still keep up with the stamps of Israel, of which I own all but 9 ever issued), am an avid bird watcher and skier, played tennis for 30 years.  And I still work 6 days a week.  That all being said, guitar playing is #1, and certainly the combination of guitar + music rules.
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

Lizzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 06:47:21 PM »
I used to crochet, but guitar put a stop to that! I would say after playing the guitar my other hobby would be cooking....if it can be called a hobby.  I like to make a lot of things from scratch like bread, yogurt and soup.
My husband and his wife like to brew beer too, Jay. We have to visit all the microbreweries when he comes to town!

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 06:49:12 PM »
Yeah, cooking and wine tasting need to be included;  used to cross stitch samplers also.
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 06:56:31 PM »
Theatre (performing in musicals) books, bicycling, pets (a Collie and two British Shorthair cats), movies, wine, food...but playing guitar/singing/writing music always come first.
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Blueshwk

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 07:55:44 PM »
I was an avid woodworker for years, during which time I dabbled in guitar building but I mostly built small decorative boxes and furniture. I traveled much and brought back wood from the places I visited and worked. Still have a pretty extensive collection of wood for future projects including many species I see on this forum.

I enjoy reading, mostly guilty pleasure fiction of little substance but a few bio's and history topics thrown in for good measure. I also enjoy cooking and have for many years.

Our Australian Shepard is a former search and rescue dog, and although she is getting a little long in the tooth. she helps to keep our two calico cats corralled.

Oh yeah..... then there is the guitar thing.

stepchildusmc

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 08:32:58 PM »

My husband and his wife like to brew beer too, Jay.
i didn't know you are in Utah Lizzy !  ;D ;D ;D
i used to love bodybuilding and martial arts.. my body is a bit torn up for that now though. i haven't found a suitable replacement for those yet. i spend a lot of time abroad and have little time to play guitar these days let alone find more hobbies.  i still love really fast motorcycles( top recorded speed- 188 mph on 2 wheels) and fun cars but i have slowed down quite a bit as of late.... that's where guitars have come in... like everything else i decide to do.... i tend to go all out with an all or nothing attitude. i'd love to find something more sane but i'm not sure i'm built for that. a few years ago when i was still unable to walk i was miserable as hell... not out of anger or pain, i'm just not very good at sitting still...surprising since my former job was to sit/lay for 12-14 hours or more at a stretch bt that was a lot different, total concentration required.
Steppy
2008 NAMM Hot Rod(GA)
2013 spring ltd. 616 ce
2013 616 ce(honeyburst)
2011 Adamas 2080Sr
2014 324
2014 GS mini Hog
2013 GS mini Spruce
2014 GS mini Engelmann (HV)
only thing lacking is the talent !

Lizzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 08:47:54 PM »

i used to love bodybuilding and martial arts.. my body is a bit torn up for that now though. i haven't found a suitable replacement for those yet. i spend a lot of time abroad and have little time to play guitar these days let alone find more hobbies.  i still love really fast motorcycles( top recorded speed- 188 mph on 2 wheels) and fun cars but i have slowed down quite a bit as of late.... that's where guitars have come in... like everything else i decide to do.... i tend to go all out with an all or nothing attitude. i'd love to find something more sane but i'm not sure i'm built for that. a few years ago when i was still unable to walk i was miserable as hell... not out of anger or pain, i'm just not very good at sitting still...surprising since my former job was to sit/lay for 12-14 hours or more at a stretch bt that was a lot different, total concentration required.

OMG...people really do pay attention to what I say in my posts. BROTHER and his wife...not husband and his wife. Good grief.

The Doctor

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 08:58:34 PM »

OMG...people really do pay attention to what I say in my posts. BROTHER and his wife...not husband and his wife. Good grief.

That was my first thought too but if he buys you a new guitar now and then who cares
~Jack

2011 GS Mini
2013 414ce
2013 T5z Custom Koa
Fishman Loudbox Mini

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 09:02:27 PM »
Making pure maple syrup with my husband....Sweet Liquid Gold!

Music and Maple Syrup are our two #1's.

#2 is traveling the US in the motorhome riding roller coasters with my husband.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 09:05:23 PM by TaylorGirl »
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 10:27:54 PM »
Beyond guitars;
Cycling - I enjoy bike tours that are 400-600 miles, one day 100 milers.  Plus mountain biking, I live so close some fantastic mountain trails, it takes me 10 minutes to get to them
Skiing - I live 30 minutes from a ski area.  The snow is fantastic right now.
Pheasant hunting.  Duck and goose is good to.
Taking trips with the travel trailer, so that I can cycle and play my guitar.
and doing all(except hunt) this with my wonderful wife of 30 years
I also enjoy being here with you all. 
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 08:18:57 AM by mgap »
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

stepchildusmc

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2014, 10:33:02 PM »

i want some of that beer.... might lead me to another "The Blonde" though... can i use you as a character witness in court ?
Steppy
2008 NAMM Hot Rod(GA)
2013 spring ltd. 616 ce
2013 616 ce(honeyburst)
2011 Adamas 2080Sr
2014 324
2014 GS mini Hog
2013 GS mini Spruce
2014 GS mini Engelmann (HV)
only thing lacking is the talent !

Tarekith

• Luxembourg Mastering Engineer
    • Artist Website
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2014, 12:28:57 AM »
My main hobby and my profession is music, but a close runner up is mountain biking.  I moved from Chicago to Seattle to be closer to real mountain, nothing like being up in the fresh air on some sweet singletrack.
Erik M.
InnerPortalStudio.com
2013 814ce, All Cosmo Black Hardware.